“Horrid”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wareham
London, United Kingdom
“Horrid”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is the opposite of "no expense spared". Looks like it was built in the late 60s/early 70s, not a penny spent on it since. Circa £120/night including breakfast. Note - breakfast service finishes at the ungodly time of 9.45am. Perhaps this is when breakfast services finished in the 1970s? Not sure. Either way, in addition to struggling for sleep all night because of the boiling hot rooms, you then have to set your alarm to ensure you make it for breakfast to try and get some sense of value for money. If they changed the theme of this place to being a "1970s Experience Hotel" then at least potential customers would know what they're in for. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Room Tip: No rooms are good, choose another hotel
7 Thank GenericReviewer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed here on the way to France. This is a family run hotel, which is quite rare nowadays but I found it very pleasant.

The staff were extremely polite and could not do enough for you.

The gardens were very nice, outdoor swimming pool, gym, sauna, jacuzzi, indoor swimming pool, snooker room, squash courts, gym, absolutely everything. And Sky sports TV. Excellent for couples on summer holidays on way to France.

The decor may be a bit dated but there again no hotel is full nowadays so no income to keep it up to a. Marriott etc.

I get fed up of some people who just use Tripadvisor to moan about places rather than give constructive feedback.

The staff were absolutely brilliant.
I will be booking again and going to the Old Granary.

That is my recomendation.

Fenners

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I've just come back from a lovely 4 day break at this hotel & was not disappointed...despite having read some negative views on here! From the minute I set foot in the hotel to the minute I left, I received nothing but wonderful service from every single member off staff....polite, helpful & always courteous. My room was great, with a beautiful view of the lake/garden & the food was lovely. I urge people on this site to read reviews with a very open mind because there seem to be a lot of people around who like nothing more than to find something to complain about, I personally want to spend my holiday enjoying it & relaxing, noting the positives & not searching high & low for negatives.....I pity the type of people who I'm referring to, they're very sad & pathetic. I spoke to several other hotel guests during my stay & didn't hear a single bad comment about the staff or hotel, I would definitely stay here again & would also recommend to friends. Remember, it's not The Ritz, so if you're expecting that standard then you shouldn't be in a 3* hotel. The hotel is in an ideal location too, with plenty of tourist attractions quite close by. All in all I had a very pleasant stay & hope to visit again sometime in the near future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lonnen477
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed here as we attended a wedding nearby. From the website we'd imagined a friendly, old school charming hotel. Fair enough it's not an old, characterful building, but the service and appointments looked great. We were sorely disappointed from the moment we arrived. The receptionist wasn't unpleasant but she was very vague, and also seemed to be the only person working in the hotel at the time we arrived ( late morning). There were extensive internal renovations being carried out, which left the venal area feeling like a building site. This wasn't mentioned on the website. The overall decor and atmosphere evoked an old folks home, or very middle of the road motel, as did the smell of disinfectant we found in our room.
We called down to find an ironing board, but was told they were all out. We asked housekeeping who we happened upon in the corridor. They provided us with an iron and board immediately. We called down to ask what time lunch was served, but were told the chef hadn't turned up for his shift. We asked what the back up plan was - there wasn't one. So we had a banana each for lunch. We went to the weeding and had a smashing time, which cleared the awful hotel from our minds..until breakfast. Served in the old people style main dining room, we knew what to expect from the smell... Institutional food. Very average. I'm coeliac, so we asked for gluten free bread. The wasn't any. Whereas in any other hotel, I'd have been somewhat surprised in this day and age.. I wasn't here. Of course, the old folk would think its some sort of fancy schmancy modern fad. My advice.. Don't bother going here unless your expectations are set for a middle of the road motel, or you feel like seeing how you'll live when you're 90. Very poor backdrop to what should have been a great break for a lovely wedding.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for a deluxe room. The standards are fine. Some rooms are VERY dark, soaks f...
2 Thank jenjenhodgo

Travelers are raving about these Wareham hotels

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I travelled with my family and we met up with friends in the hotel. What a gem of a place! We all said it felt very tranquil and happy there- and, despite 2 weddings and another major function during our stay, we were never made to feel less than important ourselves. Staff went out of their way to help us find local places and transport links and printed off timetables etc. the cleanliness of the hotel was superb and the rooms were very comfortable. Only two minor criticisms and these were over the signage to the bar area( the hotel is huge!) and the discontinuation of spa treatments that are advertised. However, these didn't t spoil our trip and we would definitely book again to stay here. Lovely people!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernadette M
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went to the hotel last weekend, I had no problems with the hotel, it was clean and had some great facilities. The idea that I was told off like a naughty school boy was beyond me? Apparently I was not early enough for breakfast, even though I was there before the 9:45 cut off. in my book 9:40 is there on plenty of time to pick up some breakfast, I wasnt allowed any eggs as the chief had gone home? its only scrambled eggs I could have done them myself. I wasn't the only person there, others turned up thinking breakfast would be served till 10:00 this supervisor from hell had an argument with another man in the restaurant. it was so embarrassing for me and I was a customer. overall not bad hotel, but come on guys serve breakfast till 10:00 on the weekend and get that supervisor some training, unbelievable!

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank cstar1588
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Booked this very last minute to add an extra day to our holiday. We were travelling with 3 dogs so were pleased to find a place that would take us all. Liked our room(262); on ground floor at front of hotel making it easy to get dogs in & out. Room was large enough, very clean and liked the bathroom. Just a shame about broken curtain as it let the room down. Also liked integral tray & kettle (once we'd rescued the milk pots from the dog!). However, we were very disappointed to find that the gardens were out of bounds to the dogs(did ask if we could eat on the terrace so the dogs could be with us but couldn't). They could only be in the bedroom, nowhere else. Had to walk them down main road(there is a nature reserve a few hundred yards down there just before next house with nice paths) & no bins at hotel for poo bags. For the £10 per dog per night would have liked more for the dogs. Other places we have stayed at have offered things like dog beds, water bowls, even dog biscuits.
Ate in the restaurant and found the waiting staff and the food fine. Shame about the children who were allowed to run around and make a noise. Breakfast also was fine but the weather was lovely and would have loved to have eaten outside. Gardens are beautiful and it would have been nice if we could have done more than just walk around them.
We didn't find the staff particularly friendly but they were helpful.
Really enjoyed the swimming pool and the staff at the Leisure Centre staff were excellent.
Overall, we felt that the hotel was a little overpriced for its facilities.

Room Tip: Only saw our room but 262 was fine for us and the 3 dogs.
1 Thank Caroline C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wareham
The Priory Hotel
#1 of 2 in West Lulworth
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#4 of 13 in Poole

Been to Springfield Country Hotel? Share your experiences!