“Dated and was in need of some TLC (and refurbishment)”

and 1 more site!
Springfield Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wareham
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The hotel was easy to find, conveniently located just of a main road (far enough away not to be a noise concern even with the windows open) and has adequate parking.

Booked in on 2 separate occasions whilst on business in the area and my first ‘impressions’ were ones of this is more B&B/Events location than a “country house with all the facilities of a modern hotel”. It is also in need of some ‘loving care’ – an impression was gained from the dark wood 70’s style interior of the reception, its immediate area and continued on through the various thread worn carpet areas on the stairs and corridors leading to my room.

The Reception and other Staff were friendly and professional enough in their approach, even if at times local knowledge and language was a somewhat erroneous.

The room was clean and tidy with a good bathroom (shower only on both occasions) – again, however walls (holes where there had been previous ‘fixings’) and flooring (thread bare and stained carpets) did not engender one to the ambiance of a “country house”. Once one had worked out the heating it was certainly warm enough for whatever the weather could do (below 0 C on both nights).
Room:

The bar/restaurant area for both evenings was at the other end of the hotel through what appeared to be a more modern part of the hotel. The bar/restaurant area overlooks the indoor swimming pool and whilst nice and warm, again did not quite give off the country hotel ambiance the hotel is trying to project.

The food that evening and a Breakfast the following morning was, in my case, cooked to order and did not raise any cause for complaint as it met my requirements and was reasonably prices. Both the restaurant and Breakfast Menus gave an adequate choice, including alternatives for the vegetarian palates.

As a business traveller on these occasions I would recommend a return if in the area (the business rate being somewhat lower than their published prices). However, if returning to the area out of choice, for leisure purposes, I would definitely be tempted to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank WWTravellerKent
There are newer reviews for Springfield Country Hotel

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

what a lovely place.

Spent an evening at the hotel for food and overnight stay.

Very friendly staff. The food was very good . Much better than the usual hotel grub you would expect.

The room was very big. It was lovely and warm and the cleanest I've seen.

Whilst I was only there with my partner, it's a hotel that kids appear to be more than welcome.
Ill be back !

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank LongmanCardiff
Reviewed December 3, 2012

stayed for a xmas party,only one night but must give hotel 8 out 10.room was ok small but warm and cosy and clean all that we needed for a 1 night stay.food was very good with great service from all and the breakfast was all you could eat.did not use rest of hotel but i walked round and was impressed with grounds and swimming pool.would use again if in area.my only negitive was the bed which dipped in the middle and needed replacing.

Room Tip: overlooking out door pool
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karma2
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Things started to go wrong before we had even arrived: we drove past the apologetic sign on a piece of rock twice before finding the entrance. Architecturally the building was more sheltered housing than country hotel. On entering the foyer, it felt as though we had entered the office of a funeral director. Our first impressions of a charmless and under-invested hotel were confirmed throughout our stay at regular intervals. The first ‘Executive’ room we were allocated was totally unsuitable, so we were allocated “a different type of Executive room” (how many types are there?) which was marginally bigger and better. In this context, ‘executive’ is just a word, like ‘deluxe’ which means nothing. The style of the room was dated, shabby and uninviting– the headboard was fabric covered and bore the greasy marks of the heads of many previous guests, and BBC1 was unavailable on the TV. There was no fridge or minibar, though a Corby trouser press was featured prominently (hoping to appease the executive clients no doubt). Admittedly, the bathroom was of an altogether better standard than the room itself, and contained a luxurious double-ended bathtub, but the bath fittings had to be straddled when entering and leaving the bath, and were a danger to anyone who slipped or had a fall. Even this was spoiled by the mean complimentary toiletries proffered.
Having arrived at lunchtime we thought we might sample the bar food. In retrospect this proved to be a bad omen for what was to come our way later. Our egg mayonnaise sandwiches were about 2” thick and as far as were could determine, contained no egg yolk. At least, if they did it was all heavily disguised with lashings of acidic, catering style cash-and-carry mayonnaise type sauce. While we were eating, one of the staff, of which there were very few, decided to vacuum the bar area where we were seated.
The meal in the evening was, if anything, a worse experience than lunch. We eventually found the dining room which had been cleverly situated next to the swimming pool of the spa, giving off the heavy scent of chlorine. The hotel room information insisted on a smart casual dress code, and the wearing of jeans, shorts and T-shirts was prohibited. The only other guests in the restaurant that evening were a couple who won the meal as part of a raffle prize, (I realise that now that a good way to attract people to eat there is to give the food away) and who were seated next to us even though the room could probably seat 100 guests, and a group of American 20-30 somethings, each and every one of whom contravened the dress code in some way. One of the party sat wearing a hooded top with the hood covering his head for the entire meal. The atmosphere was like being in a youth hostel or a student dining hall. The Americans would get up from the table at regular intervals and help themselves to bread rolls, and go to the bar and return with pints of beer.
The meal. The meal was certainly one of the worst I have ever eaten, or rather have been served, as parts of it were inedible. At this stage our choice was based purely on damage limitation, and we chose smoked salmon, on the grounds that it was difficult to get wrong, meat pie as we reasoned it would at least be freshly made and not a frozen ready meal, and crème caramel, again because any decent hotel kitchen worth its salt should be able to knock out a reasonable crème caramel. How wrong we were. The salmon was cheap, slimy catering produce and once I had located it under a mountain of undressed lettuce, lacked flavour. The meat pie was acceptable, but it was presented in the manner of school dinners, dolloped on a plate with no garnish. It was accompanied by a tray of undercooked and unsalted vegetables. The crème caramel was simply inedible, and was returned to the kitchen after one very tentative sampling. It was solid, grey in colour, and served floating in a sickly watered down honey-ish sauce of indeterminate flavour. No caramelised sugar had ever been near this dish. Again, no fresh raspberry or spun sugar to tempt the eye or the palette. It was all canteen food, a million miles away from fine dining. All three courses were served with indecent haste. I swear that the waiter who cleared our plates from the main course put down the plates in the kitchen and picked up our sweet courses all in one movement returned immediately to serve them.
By now we had had enough, and decided that the whole Springfield experience was becoming a negative one and in danger of spoiling what was intended to be a special, celebratory weekend. At reception we were told that “the managers don’t work at weekends” (Why not in a seven-day a week business?) but that we could see the bar manager. I told him that a catalogue of faults, not least inedible food, meant that I could not stay for the 2 nights booked and that I would expect a refund for one night. He agreed, but said that he was not authorised to make a repayment, but that he would ensure it would be done first thing Monday morning. (I asked him his name in case there were any disputes later as to what was said and agreed.) He listened to my complaints expressing mild irritation that anyone could have the temerity to complain, and countered my concerns over the dress code and the Americans by explaining that “with respect, those Americans are paying considerably more for their rooms than you are”. Staggering.
It got worse at checkout next morning. I requested that a letter I had written to the bar manager outlining my concerns, could be given to him. I was informed that the man I spoke to the previous evening lied about being the bar manager. He was in fact the owner of the hotel.

Although I cannot justify a complaint on the grounds that we do not share the same tastes in décor as the hotel management, I do feel entirely justified in feeling that this hotel is almost fraudulently misrepresenting itself and not what is purports to be on its website, and it offers extremely poor value for money. Every aspect of our time at the Springfield disappointed. This was more budget travel motel than discreet country hotel, the meals looked like poorly presented institution food and the rooms were inexcusably dirty. There is generally an understanding of what the term country hotel signifies. This establishment only avoids infringing the Trades Description Act because it is sited in the middle of nowhere. Finally, and most shameful of all was the deceit of the management in dealing with my concerns.

It seems to me that the generally helpful, cheerful staff are well intentioned but poorly trained, and that management is not prepared to listen to what customers are saying in order to improve things. I offered the opportunity for someone to contact me to discuss my concerns in full. This offer has not been taken up.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank willow187047
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I chose this hotel because I wanted to take my friends and all our kids away to Dorset in half term to visit Swanage and Monkey world and also a swimming pool for some great fun with the kids. It was fantastic!!!!!! The rooms were excellent and the service and food was great. The spa was wonderful with a great pool and sauna etc and for after dinner we could relax with a game of pool and snooker even with the children. I recommend this hotel very highly and will return on the next half term break.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank barry016
Spring_Management, Manager at Springfield Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - we are delighted that you enjoyed your break with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Once again we've taken a trip to the Springfield, having read some of the reviews I do wonder if they stay in the same hotel. We were greeted by the most delightful receptionist who remembered our boys and advised us of local fireworks displays - its touches like this that make us return. We stayed in room 341 - a large ( read HUGE) exec family room - this was on the top floor and was obviously refurbished. The bathroom was top notch with a fab shower and double ended bath. The bed was comfy and considering that we also had 2 single beds put up for our boys there was about 10 foot between the end of our bed and where theirs was. I was impressed by the tea tray - Still/Sparkling water, a range of biscuits, hot chocolate, tea and coffee which was refilled daily.
Breakfasts are delicious, freshly cooked and plentiful, dinners are great too and again served by fabulous staff (Who remembered us and the boys) - i'd recommend the Breaded Cheese, Salmon and anything from the Sweet trolley!
My hubby loves this hotel for the fact that the health club has a squash court, gym and pool - we have yet to find a 5* hotel with all these facilities.
Location-wise you couldnt ask for more, so far we've visited the Tank Museum, Corfe Castle Monkey World, Ridden the Steam engine and still have more to tick off on our next visit.
This is a family owned hotel which is evidently having huge chunks refurbished, the staff are great and we see the same faces time and time again. I'd happily recomend this hotel to anyone, its not a sterile chain hotel and for us that is most definately part of the charm.. thankyou Sprinfield, we'll be back to see you next year!

Room Tip: Room 341 is perfect for 2 adults and 2 children
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrsjfsp

Thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review which is very much appreciated. Your kind comments have been passed on to the staff - we are delighted you all enjoyed your break and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stopped for a light lunch at the Springfield en route to a weekend break by the sea. Staff were pleasant,friendly and helpful. We had elderly parents with us who would have had great difficulty eating in the lounge - the chairs are comfortable but extremely low. So they prepared a table for us in the restaurant. Food was reasonably priced, nicely prepared and presented. A good experience all round.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KJBulford

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, it is very much appreciated.
We do learn from our reviews - For bar lunches we now have a small dining area overlooking the south facing gardens which is more appropriate than the far too comfy chairs in the lounge! this is available 7 days per week and when busier the Mill View Restaurant is available taking in views of the ornamental lake. Come back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wareham
The Priory Hotel
#1 of 2 in West Lulworth
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#4 of 13 in Poole

Been to Springfield Country Hotel? Share your experiences!