“Valentines Menu very disappointing”

Red Lion Hotel Restarurant
Ranked #26 of 61 Restaurants in Wareham
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

From reading reviews I was looking forward to a romantic meal at the Red Lion for Valentines Day. From the minute we sat down we had 3 courses, 2 drinks and were out in 1hr :-( In my opinion the menu choices were shocking, for starter I had a choice between soup, melted cheese or some fruit dish with Mango. There was nothing on the menu that I really looked forward to. For starter I had the deep fried Brie fondant which was alright for a cheese dish but not my ideal starter. For main I had a Salmon Wellington with stir fried vegetables, in all fairness it was a large piece of Salmon but it didn't go we'll with store fried veg. My husband had the Braised Steak which he found boring as its a cheap cut of meat and would of preferred a real Steak. The only starter which slightly appealed to me was the Chocolate dish even though it came with cherries (not a fan of Cherries) which was VERY disappointing. It had been cut open (guessing to see if the inside was runny) despite it inside being hard they still served it up. I expect my fork to brush open the fondant to reveal a choc sauce but no it had been over cooked, I hit it with my fork and chipped the edge of the sponge. I scooped out the centre and sent my plate back with a hard hollow shell and all the cherries. Between each course there was a break of 4-7mins which tells me the Chef chose and easy menu where he could just precook everything and send it out straight away after the order being taken hence why we were in and out within 1hr. Very disappointing will not be returning or recommending. I thought of all the days Valentines Day would be something special, I can tell you know IT WAS NOT!

1  Thank Vicky P
LisaMS_11, Owner at Red Lion Hotel Restarurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

I am slightly confused by this review.

Your main criticism seems to be of the menu choices. Your booking was made specifically for the valentines menu for which the complete menu was advertised in advance. The main menu was also available on the night but as the booking was for the Valentines menu your weren't offered this.

I can assure you that the chef didn't choose the menu for ease, rather in this current climate to be value for money. At £15 per person for 3 courses and coffee we feel that the menu presented excellent value. I am sorry if you weren't happy with your dessert, however again I am slightly confused as I personally checked back on your table at every course and nothing was highlighted then. If we had been aware that you weren't happy, of course we would have dealt with it at the time.

Disastisfied customers are never our aim and we are sorry that you weren't happy.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Headed to Lulworth Cove on 13th Jan 2013 with visiting family & friends. Bad mistake, awful weather, flooding everywhere on the way. Couldn't get to seafront even in my 4x4. Doubled back. No pubs serving food after 2.30pm. Ended up in Wareham. Drove past Red Lion, desperate so parked up and went in. Very warm welcome from staff. Are you serving food? Of course! Do you have a fire? Yes, just around the corner. Is there any parking? Yes, I'll unchain the residents parking bay for you. Wow! What a result!
Chesterfields by roaring fire, soon warmed up. Excellent food and wine menu with great choices for everyone. I mean really good food. Friendly and attentive service. £26 each for 3 course meal, wine and tip. Best "Pub" lunch We've ever had, 10 out of 10.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely review. We aim to exceed customer expectations and are pleased that this was your experience.
We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed December 21, 2012

The food in the Red Lion is excellent. The menu is not huge, but there is plently of choice, and it changes every couple of months or so. The portions are all extremely generous, and I was never disappointed.

Thank you for this lovely review. We aim to strike the balance between choice and quality and are pleased that we seem to have succeeded!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We ordered the Sunday roast of beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and vegetables.....this without doubt was the worst food I have ever been served. The beef was so tough that I could not cut it and the same with the roast potatoes!!!! Luckily I had ordered a side order of chips and these were delicious... just as well as the dessert of apple pie was disgusting... undercooked apples and mostly raw pastry.

I complained and received an apology, but as this was an annual family get to together we were extremely disappointed...we will never eat here again!!!

LisaMS_11, Owner at Red Lion Hotel Restarurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

We would like to apologise that this meal was not to our usual very high standard. We did carry out a table check and no problems were brought to our attention.
When you came to pay for your bill you brought the problems to the attention of our assistant manager who apologised and refunded the cost of your meals. We immediately withdrew the roast beef from the menu and have launched an investigation with our butcher. As you said we have fantastic reviews and this is an extremely unusual occurance. We try to make every visit special for our customers wether it is a coffee or a family reunion for 2. We are surprised that this review is so derisorily written as the diner seemed to accept at the time that although they shouldn't happen, mistakes sometimes do and was happy to accept the full refund and apology. We will never shy away from criticism. However we did try to apologise and make the outcome as satisfactory as possible for the diner by way of a full refund and for other customers by removing a whole joint of beef from the menu.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ate at the Red Lion this evening and was pleasantly surprised how good the meal was. Have visited Wareham on a number of occasions and but never eaten here until now. We found the staff were friendly and welcoming. The food arrived quickly after ordering and was very tasty, good quality and reasonably priced for the area. I had the Thai chicken curry and my partner went for fish and chips. Only slight criticism was the lighting in the bar was too low and quite gloomy. However that aside would highly recommend!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience at The Red Lion. I am sorry if the lighting wasn't to your taste. Believe it or not we also get criticism that it is too bright and not cosy enough! A difficult balance to please eveyones taste!

Thanks again, we hope to see you soon.