“Amazing Butcher and Deli”
Review of The Salt Pig

The Salt Pig
Ranked #6 of 62 Restaurants in Wareham
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is the second time I have been here, I came last year and thought I have to go back this year, last year we ate there and it was very tasty because they used the Longhorn beef from the butcher there. This year we just brought some meat and other bits and it was all totally amazing tasty food. The Longhorn beef is so good. The lamb is delicious too, the smoked salmon bits where the best I have had in a long time. The sausages are delicious too. I brought some ready marinated chicken thighs and that was really tasty! I got some smoked cheese and another cheddar that they recommended to me and it was sooo amazing! I also had some dried smoked cherry tomatoes in oil, wow, nice. I can't remember what else I got but I would highly recommend you stop off there on your way to Dorset.

I love finding places that care about quality proper food.

It should be possible to review the deli separate to the cooked food restaurant really, but there you go.

There are newer reviews for The Salt Pig

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Having had a lovely lunch today in theSalt Pig I was surprise to find out that I could take my well behaved dog in while we ate. The service was great and the food fabulous - excellent all round

1  Thank Kezav
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is an interesting shop to visit and eat at. My husband and I had a nice hot lunch but had to wait a while as the shop was busy. The choice was good and portions just right for lunch. The seating arrangement is a bit tightly placed in the front, having to move to let people in and out.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had been waiting a while for this restaurant to open in the evenings, so were really pleased to find out they had. We (group of 4 adults) arrived early to an empty restaurant but were warned that it could get a bit cosy later. The place soon filled up, but it never felt cramped and there was still room out the back. The service was very friendly and welcoming. All of the food was delicious and served in good time. The local wines were very nice too. We love the local sourcing of produce and know many of their sources in the Purbecks and considering this we though the prices were quite reasonable. The only aspect that I found a little disappointing (and this was not shared by the rest of my group) was that the menu was rather limited. It is early days though so I wish them every success in growing a successful business. If you're in Wareham we definitely recommend giving it a try (start with their excellent deli if you're not ready for an evening meal).

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Waiting Time: 45 minutes! Very slow, service was a bit of a car crash! You could see the staff were struggling and I am not sure why.

Service - Friendliness: A mixed bag, most the staff were lovely and very accommodating especially the lady called Trish I think her name was, however the lady with the head scarf could work on her customer skills a bit, we were sorting our table next to a narrow corridor near the till and the head scarf lady was running around like a headless chicken and managed to kick our 5 year old on the back of her leg causing her to cry, the other staff were very sympathetic but HS lady just carried on about her business as if nothing happened, I stared at her for a while to see if she was going to look back, no acknowledgement at all which I found very rude! If she just slowed down a bit and stopped crashing pans on the floor in the kitchen and dropping things I think they would have done more. Sometimes slower = quicker. Sorry - Lost a star.

Service - Speed/Attentiveness: very slow, they were having problems with the service to be fair, but we sat there for 15 minutes before I got up and asked what I was supposed to do as nobody had taken my order? There are no menus and you have to look at the black board behind the till, they were apologetic for leaving us sat there, the regulars sat next to us said it was a disaster and not normally like this and they had waited over an hour despite the fact that when they walked in all the tables were empty!

Food - First Visual Impression: Superb, see my pic! Roast lamb. However the red current jelly that was served to the table in a brand new open jar had mould on the top of it and the gentleman said "it's brand new which is why it looks weird!" When we gave it back to the young lady she apologised and agreed it was mould! Sorry - Lost another star as that is unacceptable.

Food - Taste and Quality: The food was excellent! Really lovely taste, like a homemade roast, I think most the delay was due to the sautéed cabbage being cooked.

Environment/Cleanliness: clean, tide, but very crammed in, it was nice of them to fit 3 of us onto a small table though.

Value: excellent value vs quality, 3 generous roast dinners, 4 drinks, £30

Other (wifi, Parking etc): good wifi, parking is in town.

Overall Summary: I think we were perhaps unlucky going on the day we did, I have given 3 stars as I think it was a bit chaotic and if they all just slowed and calmed down a bit the environment would have been more relaxing and the service would have been just as quick, it was a bit of a whirlwind experience of good and bad points.

I recommend going overall as the food is fantastic and the good parts of the service were very good, perhaps on a quieter day it would have been a 5 star visit instead of 3.