“Outstanding on all fronts”
Review of The Salt Pig

The Salt Pig
Ranked #6 of 62 Restaurants in Wareham
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We usually choose where we eat with reasonable care so we called into the Salt Pig for a lunchtime bite to eat after checking on tripadvisor. We had also had a cup of tea there a few days before. Expecting to see the usual sandwich / quiche selection I was impressed to see a choice of freshly roasted meat sandwich options, quiche, salads, sausage rolls all obviously freshly made,but what really captured me was the venison, juniper rosemary and cracked black pepper dish with redcurrant served with mash and it was superb. Now how much did we pay, considering you can fork out £10-£15 for a comparable dish? The enormous sum of £6.90p. For a freshly prepared, generous portion of premium quality locally sourced food. I remarked to the proprietor on the unbelievabley good value and was told that they just wanted to be fair! I wish I lived nearer. I would never shop in a supermarket again. A quality joint of dry aged white Park beef was half the price of a supermarket equivalent. The butcher was more than happy to talk about where his supplies were from, the veg and fish all either local or as near as possible .This is a shop worth having as your local and I wish we had something half as passionate and committed to supplying a real alternative to the mass produced c### that we seem to depend on. And it was CHEAPER! If I lived here I would be wordlessly handing over my wages to the Salt Pig every month and waiting with delighted anticipation for the goodies. Anyway a mug of hot chocolate and I was ready to check out the meat counter. Two lamb rumps ( from Steeple) and a haunch of venison ( from Arne) we were ready to go. Please check this little place out for yourselves, we always do a little research before we try somewhere,we much prefer to avoid giving negative feedback but seriously the Salt Pig doesn't disappoint on any level

There are newer reviews for The Salt Pig

Reviewed October 8, 2013

we had a coffee on a Sunday lunch time if we had not just had a large breakfast at our hotel we would have had a Sunday lunch the food looked wonderful, we will return in a few weeks & enjoy lunch

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have been visiting Wareham for many years now and discovered The Salt Pig for the first time 2 weeks ago.We had travelled a fair distance and were up for a cooked breakfast..This included bacon ,egg and chipolata sausages with local bread.All the ingredients were locally sourced and cooked perfectly..Although not the cheapest breakfast around it was certainly worth it for the food quality.We also took away a beef and stifado pie which was excellent.Service was also very good.
Would definitely return perhaps for lunch next time.Recommended.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was looking for a late lunch and this was the first place I passed. I was not expecting much, but the venison pie was excellent. It is worth going out of the way for such a good lunch, so I will return when I am next in the area.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This little gem is a must if you are anywhere near the isle of purbeck,ware ham,saw age. We were on our way to doodle door and wanted coffee and cake it was so good we went back later that day for a late lunch. The quiche was superb sadly all the roast dinners had finished. A real local place with all homemade food.