“Enjoyable stay, excellent food”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #10 of 23 Wareham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Excellent stay at the Red Lion. Since the new owners have completed extensive refurbishments it is now a pleasure to stay and eat there.The food is fantastic, the service is friendly and efficient and the staff made every effort to make our stay very pleasurable. The room was beautiful, newly decorated with excellent taste and all the comforts of a high class hotel.

We would definitely stay there again and would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to stay in the idyllic town of Wareham.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikki P

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We have just returned from a family holiday in Purbeck, and treated ourselves to an evening meal in the recently refurbished Red Lion. What a transformation! The food was superb and we can't wait to go back and maybe even stay overnight.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DevonHare
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My fiancée and I only stayed for the one night but really enjoyed our stay and we can't wait to go back, Lisa was fantastic, we had a lovely really spacious room, our breakfast was well worth the wait.We have family in Wareham and when we visit we will now always stay at the Red Lion. :D Kim and Rich

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Myself and a business college were the first people to stay in their quality luxurious rooms!

The owner and staff are very freindly and helpful. Behind the bar is a good selection of beers wine & champers! The Restaurant food is first class, all fresh produce turned out immaculately by
their mitchelin trained chef.

If your staying out for business or pleasure I would not hesitate to recommend this superb hotel set in the fabulous Dorset country side, I for one will be using the Red Lion on my next visit to the area!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Deryckhart
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I have just stayed here for business this week and i cannot reccomend the Red Lion enough. Lee and Lisa are fantastic hosts along with all the staff at the hotel. Rebekah makes you feel most welcome at breakfast in the morning and the food is truly exquisite. Dean the chef came out to see us explaining that he makes all but two items on the menu from scratch.

The rooms are designed and decorated in fantastic and tasteful fashion, with some magnificent finishing touches. I have to say the beds are so comfortable, I slept like a baby.

I reccomend whether for leisure or business you save this as one of your places to stay in Wareham.

Thank you guys for your hospitality, I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JakeBar
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I was booked in to the Red Lion by my employers hotel booking service as we working in the area that eveing and morning (8th/9th). Having checked the internet for information and finding very little I was slightly concerned.

We arrived just after 11:00pm and found the member of bar staff to be very friendly. The inside of the pub itself seemed to be quite nice, although we were cold and tired from working outside for the evening. All I wanted was a hot shower and bed.....unfortunately I was to find out later that this wasn't going to be an option.

We were given the keys to our rooms on the top floor, which we were glad about as the music in the bar was quite loud. Unfortunately to our horror (and probably the poor bloke already asleep), we were given keys to rooms already occupied!! My colleague very carefully checked her room too and found it also to be occupied. Not a good start.

Anyway, we eventually got keys for rooms that were empty on the first floor. Neither of the rooms were en suite although I believe that some of the rooms are. I don't know how much they charge to stay there direct but we were paying £55 for just the room and no breakfast (I don't think they provide it but as we were out the door at 6:30am we couldn't be sure). My room (2) was clean and tidy, had a single bed, some rather dated and somewhat dilapidated furniture and facilities to make a hot drink. It also had a sink unit but wasn't much use as the cold water came out virtually the same temperature as the hot. The bed was fine, the bedding was clean and looked new, as did the curtains and the bedside lamp and clean towels were left on the bed. However the rest of the room was extremely old and in need of attention. It is an old building and I don't know how long the new owners have been in and understand refurbishment can take a while but perhaps this should be reflected in their price until standard improve.

One other problem with the room seemed to be that the heating was permenantly on, with no way of controlling it. As the windows were both quite old sash windows neither of them would stay up on their own so I ended up using one of my trainers and the obligatory hotel room Gideons Bible to prop it open! The hotel is on quite a busy road junction but it was a necessary compromise.

There was a bathroom directly opposite my room but this was worse than the bedroom. The toilet looked clean and worked and there were cleaning products and an air freshener present but the rest of the bathroom was pretty dire. There was no shower, just a very old bath and wash basin both of which looked in need of a proper clean (or the tip), unfortunately the floor was carpeted and didn't look like it had been hoovered. I could see quite a lot of hair stuck to the carpet. So no hot shower for me. There may have been other bathrooms with a shower but as it was now midnight and I was going to be working outside the next day I wasn't particularly bothered.

I can say that I did have a good nights sleep as the bed was quite comfortable.

In summary I would say that an effort to improve standards is apparent but cleanliness could be improved. I think that if your in the area for work it's probably ok for one night but no more.

The new owners, from what I saw, have a mamoth task to refurbish this place and hopefully it will eventually be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Viator77
LisaMS_11, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Please note the date of this this review and that it pre dates our time at The Red Lion and indeed the extensive refurbishment!
Thanks
Lisa Sainsbury

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wareham
Springfield Country Hotel
Mortons House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corfe Castle
Holiday Inn Express Poole
Travelodge Poole Hotel

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!