“Would definitely recommend !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Wickford, United Kingdom
“Would definitely recommend !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We found rooms to be very clean and very well arranged with plenty of room, the building is stunning! The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much they were particularly good at recommending places to go, would definitely come back thank you for a lovely stay :))

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked relatively last minute and got a great deal. We arrived about 5 pm and were shown to our rooms. I was immediately impressed with the size and high standard of the room and the lovely bathroom. I immediately noticed the noise from the road which was still noticeable even when the window and secondary double glazing were closed. I was dreading a poor night, but thanks to my ear-plugs and the lovely comfortable king bed, I slept until the alarm went off!! We had dinner in the pub that evening which was very good. My sister and I opted to share a main course of hake as we were not too hungry and the staff offered to put this on two separate plates which was very helpful. Apparent,y the road turkey was delicious. The food was tasty and good. Breakfast was good too. Just fruit juice, cereal (no fruit) and full English. Coffee was good too. The waiter was very friendly and showed us around the pub and explained the history. I would definitely recommend a stop here, just make sure you bring the ear-plugs for the notice from the road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Melksham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The management of this lovely old pub/restaurant understand one of the key secrets of the trade, hospitality. We arrived to a really warm welcome, polite, accommodating staff and excellent cold beer. The positive experience continued as we were shown to a big, well furnished room with a really nice modern bathroom; the young guy who showed us to the room could not have been more helpful, even pointing out a couple of "problems" that had previously been reported incorrectly, as he demonstrated. The room was by the road which was noisy but this is very difficult to overcome in such an old building and it did quieten down after 11pm through till 6am; the reality is that you need to be prepared to compromise, from my standpoint it's worth it.
Dinner was simple, good quality fare and the house red proved to be a very acceptable, sensibly priced Cabernet Sauvignon; again, the service was attentive and delivered with a smile.
We had been warned that breakfast could be a bit drawn out and I would definitely imagine those in a hurry might get rather stressed. For those such as ourselves, it was simply one of the best breakfasts you could imagine, why rush it.
Good people, good food & drink and lovely accommodation; these folk deserve to succeed and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try to book a room that doesn't back onto the main road.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I popped in to this charming country pub for a meal yesterday evening. The food was first class and the service even better! The bar manager James was so helpful and friendly and we could not fault the food that was cooked by the chef, Sercha. I would definitely recommend this pub and I have no doubt that we will eat there again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin S
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a very comfortable spacious room with a modern en-suite in the converted barn attached to the pub. The atmosphere in the pub was very freindly and welcomiing. The food was great - all home cooked to order, and a good choice plus a good specials board. The staff went out of their way to help. We use small hotels, B&B's and country pubs often but this was by far the best we have stayed in. I would strongly recommend it to our friends, and if the area again would most certainly stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teddy673
Home Counties, U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

In modern times when lots of stays are dominated by Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn & Travelodge, my overnight visit to the Crown was a breath of fresh air. This was the old-fashioned concept of the weary traveller finding a very hospitable inn to stay at, with great food, drink and a lovely room. The Crown only has 5 rooms but has a really great approach to looking after guests. The bar food was of a very high standard and accompanied by a decent beer and good wine selection. Do try the specials and also their delicious desserts.

Staying a place like this makes you realise how often we accept second-best as the norm. Nothing was too much trouble and for a very reasonable cost. As I stay away a lot I will severely criticise bad service or attitudes but I am happy to give full praise where it's due. The brewery, Hall & Woodhouse of Blandford Forum, should be exceptionally proud of the job the guys at the Crown do. I had a hard day's work in front of me but felt in the right frame of mind after a great stay. Well done!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had a lovely meal, with my wife and her parents on the 17th. The atmosphere was only bettered by the service. James the barman and waiter was excellent taking time to see to all our needs. Offering advice on everything from the beer to the desserts. The food was excellent , well cooked and tasty . Sercha the chef checked that our meals were ok, and I have to say they were great. I had the crown burger and I can recommend it , although we all had different meals and they were all well recieved. If you are looking for a good night out with tasty, well cooked food and friendly service , then I would say go to the crown at marnhull .

• Stayed April 2013
#1 of 2 in Shaftesbury
The Langton Arms
The Langton Arms
#1 of 1 in Tarrant Monkton

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!