“Exactly what it says on the tin!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bankes Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Studland
The Bankes Arms
Ranked #8 of 8 Studland B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Exactly what it says on the tin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

this is a country inn with great value B & B rooms. The rooms are small but the views make up for it ! The fish and chips is much better than my local London pub, and the portions are huge - so you need to walk to Old Harry first. No flies when I went but maybe this is a seasonal issue?

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alanmilt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for a pint, and some food for the kids after a lovely walk up to Old Harry's. The pub was busy as usual for a Saturday afternoon, but what I could not countenance was the amount of flies, in their hundreds, EVERYWHERE. I've never seen so many in my life! Around the bar, the food, the furniture... we were constantly swatting hands about to get rid of them. The thought of eating anything made there turned my stomach, we had a pint and left.
Shame.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank MrsMoon
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Brilliant buzzy local pub - perfect for post walk drinks - we loved it so much we even went back the next day for lunch - best scampi and chips we've had in years! Very good and friendly service and dog friendly! We will certainly be going back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The location is fabulous,glorious,outstanding. But after visiting this pub a few times over the years it is clear that this is what it relies on.
Visit here for refreshments when enjoying the spectacular Purbecks but do not expect too much when it comes to the food. As other reviewers have noted expensive pub grub that is below average.
I cannot comment on the accommodation as luckily ( after reading other reviews ) have never stayed there.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

i have to say that our experience was nothing like those poor ones below. My wife and I were staying in a local B&B and needed to eat on 3 nights. On each occasion the food was excellent. Between us we had lamb shank, sea bass, chicken and beef bourginon. The new potatoes and veg that came with the meals were excellent as was the bread and butter pudding with custard - twice! I tried several of the beers brewed on site and enjoyed them all. If there was one criticism it was that the wine selection was poor and overpriced at £4.25 for a small glass. The white wine my wife was given on the first evening was not even chilled.
The girl who served us on the first night didn't seem with it but the young guy on the last 2 nights was very friendly and helpful.
Overall we enjoyed the meals and atmosphere it prompted me to do this review as the owners of the B&B said the food was a bit hit and miss. Well for us it was a hit. Go on give it a try as perhaps things are improving!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
St. Albans, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The meal was terrible and overpriced. The staff did not ask if we enjoyed the food.
Also, the place was alive with dogs, growling and roaming. I will never go to this pub again. It was the worst meal I have had in a pub and I have had many before.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter C
Worthing, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We sat in the Garden at the front of the pub which was well littered with paper and rubbish. The food was at best average. We had a ham baguette which was served with a limpish brown edged salad and smothered in oil. For this pleasure we were charged, what I think is, an exorbitant £6.50. We both had a lager shandy which was virtually all lemonade with a dash of Carling Lager to give it some colour. However we were charged the same price as was listed for neat larger. Not a good experience. It is a shame and I think the owners and staff have become very complacent and need to try much harder if they wish to rise up Tripadvisor's ratings.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Studland
Grand Hotel Swanage
Sandbanks Hotel
Sandbanks Hotel
#9 of 14 in Poole
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,593 reviews

Been to The Bankes Arms? Share your experiences!