“Portland gem”

The Bluefish Cafe and Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I felt compelled to register with Tripadvisor after yet another wonderful evening at 'The Bluefish'.

We first came across this lovely little restaurant 4 years ago after moving to Portland Bill. We were foolish enough to turn up on a cold wednesday in March without a booking, to find the place packed and unable to get a table. Having learnt our lesson , we have been regular visitors and make a point of taking our visiting freinds there with total confidence in the quality of the food and service.
On 'Burns Night' we had friends visiting from London whose 'hobby' is dining out. We had a wonderful meal which our friends compared very favourably to their previous week's visit to The Ivy Restaurant in London's Covent Garden ( and far better value ).

Our most recent visit was for Valentines Night . We had not seen a menu before the evening, but were aware it was a 4 course meal. On reading the choices available, including starters of, Ham hock and lentil broth, Local hand dived scallops, and slow cooked pigs cheeks, it was already becoming a difficult decision.. I was intrigued by the macaroni with field mushroom sauce, salsify, poached egg and truffle oil, so this was my choice........delicious........I could easily of had more of this for a main course. My husband chose the broth which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Main courses enclude Sea bream with mussel & mascarpone risotto, Confit of Guinea fowl with Polenta, port & 5 spice jus ( my husband's choice ) , Slow cooked Wiltshire beef ( my choice) as well as a couple of other equally imaginative dishes.
The dessert platter was a work of art , giving a selection of tastes to suit every palate. Although quite full, we even managed to enjoy a small plate of cheese to finish off the evening.

The menus are always interesting and imaginative with combinations of ingredients that make my mouth water; the service is efficient and friendly and the ambience is cosy and informal. Whether you live locally or are just visiting , do not miss out on this wonderful place.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Ate here for an evening meal after reading great reviews. Was a bit dubious as they were still serving a set valentines meal but this was soon forgotten! The food was incredible, really interesting and unusual dishes to choose from. The pudding platter was beyond words. £70 for 4 courses with drinks for 2 people but worth every penny. Service was really friendly but don't go for fast food, you are given plenty of time for each course to go down. All part of the experience, eating that much food really is a whole evening activity!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is the first time to ever write a review for tripadvisor but this little gem deserves recognition. We have just had an impromptu amazing lunch. Best mackerel ever. Welcoming atmosphere and wonderful staff. Looking forward already to our next visit. Linda and Tim Dorset

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Mrs S and I enjoyed a fabulous meal on Saturday night. The food really couldn't be faulted and we ended up being the last customers in the joint, enjoying a closing time glass of the good stuff and some lively stories with the effervescent Luciano and his lovely wife Jo. I'd struggle to recommend a more welcoming restaurant. What a find, we'll be going back soon and we strongly suggest that you do too. £70 for three courses each, including a good bottle of vino.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Called in with fellow scuba diver just before Christmas & at 2:15.
Warmly greeted in charming restaurant which was beautifully decorated for Christmas.
My friend & I shared the platter for starter with homemade humous, pesto, olives, chicken & flat breads then wow... Squid ink risotto with salad served with a ginger dressing & all washed down with amazing White House wine.
Chef.came out & chatted & we even went away with menus, a recipe & some squid ink to try our own risotto.
I've told all my friends about this place, but hope it won't get too busy as will definitely go whenever I can. I have attached link to their sample lunch menu to whet your appetites....