“Better than a 5* Hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Portland
Turnstones Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My partner loves to Scuba dive and he wanted to brave the UK waters by setting off for his first UK dives in Portland. I came accross Turnstones B&B completely by accident when looking for a hotel. The website was very clean cut and professional and the photos looked great (im easily sold if a photo looks good), so we thought we would give it a try. From the moment i was in contact with Janet and Ian (the owners of turnstones), i was impressed. Not only were they so helpful in providing us with lots of local information (as we had never been to the area before) but Janet was willing to go completely above and beyond expectations by picking up a birthday cake for me. These added extra touches make all the difference when visiting a new place and considering we have never stayed in a B&B before i was pleasently surprised by that extra effort. I have to admit i always thought Bed and breakfasts were more appealing to an older age group but i was about to be proven very wrong. On arrival, i was struck by the gorgeous views over the sea. Turnstones sits high up the hill and boats stunning views. We were also lucky to be blessed with a beautiful sunny day so the landscape was even more impressive. We were shown to our room on the top floor and i couldnt help but smile when i walked in to our beautiful room. Very classic decor (styles that i would personally chose for my own house), everything was white/pale blue and clean, providing a wonderful luxurious feeling to the room. The large, tall window gave us views accross the Sea (the best view in the house) which we enjoyed from the comfort of the bed,a beautiful sight to wake up to in the morning. There was plenty of local information in the room, on local restaurants and things to do whcih was most helpful. Ian kindly gave us directions to one of the local pubs where we enjoyed a lovely evening meal and a walk along the beach. Breakfast in the morning was delicious, there was a spread of cereals, Juice and fruits. Cute little menus are on each table and your order what you like. We had the fully cooked english breakfast and it was perfect. The sausages are especially good. The portion sizes are bang on too! yummy! The only comment i do have (and this is a very very small request) is that it would have been great if there was a little bit of music playing, or the news on in the background just to provide a bit more atmosphere. :) The decor in the rest of the house is just as beautiful. It all looks brand new. I did have a look on trip advisor before we chose Turnstones and noticed another local bed and breakfast that was currently at number 1. This B&B happened to be just along the same street as turnstones and i was shocked at how run down it loked in comparisson. It really didnt hold a candle to Turnstones so in this case i had to disagree with the reviews and go with my gut instinct (which turned out to be right im pelased to say). All in all we had a perfect weekend. Portland is a beautiful little place to visit and its so wonderful to be by the sea. Janet and Ian could not have been kinder and more welcomming. I enjoyed my stay there more than i have in some 5* Hotels. The personal touches and the attention to detail sets Turnstones high above any where else. It truely has made number one on my list of places to stay in the UK. Thank you Janet and Ian for your hospitality, we cannot wait to come back and visit again. You have a beautiful house and we are so happy that we we able to stay in this lovely hidden Gem. From Dom and Meg:)

Room Tip: It doesnt matter what you room you stay in - they are all gorgeous and quiet

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I first stayed at Turnstones when I came back to Portland for a school reunion. I have stayed there several times since then with various members of my family and it now feels like a second home . Janet and Ian remember and ask after my family and are interested in what is going on in my life so it is like visiting old friends. They named me 'Reunion Lin' and that is how I identify myself every time I ring and make a booking. The rooms are beautifully clean and very comfortable. The beds are wonderful! The en-suite bathrooms have a lovely, spacious, powerful shower. There are tea and coffee making facilities with sachets of hot chocolate too! There is plenty of space to hang clothing and store other belongings and luggage out of sight. It is decorated in relaxing neutral colours and the whole building oozes calm. There is a welcome pack in each room giving recommendations for local restaurants and places to visit. Wi-fi is also available. When Janet cooks a full english breakfast, resistance is futile. Despite the availablility of several other alternatives I succumb to the delicious plateful every morning. Janet and Ian have created a really great place to stay. They are the perfect hosts and I look forward to each visit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We passed Portland on our round-trip and had the luck to get a room at the Turnstones Bed & Breakfast. We had an incredible room with view of the sea and enjoyed our stay a 100%! We especially enjoyed the shower, which offered a generous jet of water - unlike most of the other B&Bs. Janet makes exquisite poached eggs (I tried her receipt - but definitely still lack practice)! Together with Ian they really look after a nice atmosphere that allows you to relax and disconnect! My husband unfortunately got ill during our stay - but still, Turnstones was the best B&B to stay one day in bed!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed for a short break at the beginning of September and had to agree with the reviews we had read. Everything was really first class - the room, the breakfasts and of course Janet and Ian.
They really do put a lot of effort into making you feel welcome and are always willing to give any help or suggestions to ensure you get the most out of your stay.Our rooms were spotless with a great en-suite bathroom. There was no problem with parking and the location was ideal. We would definitely stay at Turnstones again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ValcKent
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed one night at turnstones bed and breakfast, in a lovely room with views of the garden. The room was spotless, the breakfast delicious and the welcome unbeatable. I would recommend Thurnstones to anyone.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We recently spent three nights in Turnstones and I am absolutely delighted. I have been in some B&B before and this is the best of all. Although we weren't in the famous top floor room, ours was equally brilliant, big enough for two people plus luggage (I was particularly impressed with the wardrobe!) and with a wonderful bathroom. Particularly impressed with the quality of the breakfast. I am very grateful to the owners for the nice long weekend spend at Portland.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luis C
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Considerate and friendly, immaculate, comfortable and bright accommodation in a pleasant, spacious house, Delicious breakfasts with fruit and cereal as well as Full English. Unobtrusively hospitable hosts. Proof that the standard of British B&B is at an all time high. A thoroughly enjoyable stay. I can recommend Turnstones unreservedly.

Room Tip: Speak to the owners - you can be confident that they are completely open and will advise you well.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
#5 of 14 in Isle of Portland
Beach House
Beach House
#7 of 14 in Isle of Portland

Been to Turnstones Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!