“Lovely room, food not quite there”
Review of The Heights Hotel

The Heights Hotel
Beaulieu, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely room, food not quite there”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Wanted to stay here since I drove past a few years ago. Reception was prompt and polite, room was a bit of a trek but no problem, room itself was really nice, chocolate, fruit and huge bed. Afternoon tea was high on the list, and was pleasant enough, would have preferred homemade cake rather than brought in petite fours.
After finding out the hard way that every restaurant in Portland seemed to be closed on this particular Monday, we ate in the hotel restaurant, Staff prompt, as it was quite late, Starters were great, no complaints there, then the mains were put down, mine (the Lamb) was fantastic, but my partners plaice, which was one of the specials, was shockingly overcooked, not one to normally complain, he felt he had to say something, staff happy to replace it, and he settled on fish and chips as it was quick. that came out and really not good either, dried up peas, chips that had been refried, and portion topped up, so others raw (I'm a chef) fish looked pre battered, not a home made one. preparations for breakfast made it uncomfortable to stay and enjoy an after dinner drink. Breakfast passable, scrambled egg was not great...would stay in the room again, but would only stay on room only basis.

Room Tip: Go for higher grade room, you won't be disappointed
1 Thank Gilly J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed here while waiting to move into our new home which we had just brought on Portland. We booked in for 2 nights and I must say that it was fabulous. From first meeting with reception staff to House /cleaning staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. I'm disabled so sometimes find hotels difficult, but not here. Anything I needed was attended to straight away and always with a smile. The room was lovely and clean, bed comfortable, and plenty of tea, coffee etc. The food was lovely, just couldn't fault it. Again the staff in the restaurant were great and quick to help us. The views are breathtakingly beautiful. We decided to book in for Easter lunch and take my husbands parents there as they were visiting us. The food was cooked to perfection and yet again couldn't find fault with it. I would definately recommend this hotel for comfort, food and location. Thank you The Heights!
Vanessa H.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend stay at The Heights. Our room was very comfortable and looked as though it had recently been decorated, the staff were extremely helpful. The food in the restaurant was lovely and wonderful views too. we would definately stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

A very pleasant stay, ALL staff very helpful and knowledgeable of the area. Room was lovely with some nice home comforts. We only had one evening meal, which was fab, seafood was well represented as you would expect. Breakfast was good too , liked the veggie sausages.
Fab views over the sea and a great place to watch the sun go down with a drink in hand.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen G
Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Have tried several different places for accommodation in Portland/Weymouth area, {my daughter and her husband now living on Portland but without sufficient room to accommodate my wife and I), and found all types of places more expensive than other parts of the country, so I would not rate the pricing out of line with the area. There are less expensive accommodation but of not such a good standard, in the area. On arrival found the reception staff polite and helpful who provided help with the luggage immediately on my request. The room was spacious, well appointed and clean. The bathroom was roomy and immaculate, with all facilities. The breakfasts, were the buffet type with a varied selection of juices, cereals and everything else. Although we did not breakfast early the buffet food was still at a nice temperature without being dried up as happens in some places. Requests for more tea or coffee and anything else was promptly provided. The afternoon teas and snacks could be found cheaper elsewhere but you
would not have the marvellous views that are availble whilst seated in the restaurent or cafe. The
dinners in the evening were delicious and well presented. I could be extra pernickity and say the tables and chairs were a bit to close, but to me, all establishments are the same in this respect, even those costing more than the Heights. The price of this Hotel varies according to the season which is the same as any accommodation, anywhere. I cannot comment on the price
of alcohol, I am teetotal. but the price of my latte was much the same as anywhere else, and it
was from their own machine and was not the dreaded Costa Coffe. As my heading says we
will stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had originally looked at the chain hotels but didn't like the locations so we looked on Portland itself and despite some of the reviews chose The Heights. Despite a slightly tired exterior the spectacular views from the restaurant and delicious food that evening confirmed we had made the right choice. It is obviously a popular place to eat and stay as the restaurant filled up whilst we were eating. We were glad we booked a table when we checked in.
Staff were pleasant and the room clean and comfortable. An 'info manual', as mentioned by another reviewer, showing restaurant times, additional services etc would have been useful in the room.
The breakfast buffet provided us with a multitude of choices, cereals/fruit/yogurts/muffins and a full range of the usual cooked breakfast items. Once again we took our time enjoying the view on a bright sunny morning.
Definitely would stay here again and would recommend to friends and family.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for just one night deciding on impulse to extend our stay in the area. Unusually, I didn't research on TA - we drove past and just popped in!

Reception staff were very polite an helpful, although I was surprised to be asked to pay in advance - never happened to me before in 40 years of staying in hotels!

Our room was 130-something - on the same level as reception. The corridor seemed dimly-lit and gloomy. The series of dark wooden fire doors added to the dour impression. The room itself continued the gloomy feel, with dark brown woodwork and, curiously, dark brown curtains, which completed the 'dungeon' ambiance. Furniture was a lighter wood and of good quality - plenty of capacity. A small table as well as a desk/dressing table were welcome surprises.

The bed was enormous and very comfortable. As well as the normal coffee/tea gear, an ice bucket was also included, with an ice machine in the corridor. Latter wasn't working for our stay. One odd omission was a room 'manual' - restaurant opening times, additional services, etc.

The restaurant takes full advantage of the prominent position, with truly breath-taking views across Chesil Beach. Breakfast was a buffet affair, fruit, cereals and cooked options, all of adequate, if not outstanding, quality.

On leaving we were presented with a 10% discount for our next stay. Not sure whether we'll take advantage, but a nice gesture, all the same.

1 Thank Daisytom
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Abbotsbury
Harbour Heights Hotel

Been to The Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!