“nice when the music? stops” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Heights Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Heights Hotel
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“nice when the music? stops”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

A delightful hotel but will never stay their again, Nowhere in the hotel could one find peace and respite from the awful wailing of American groups coming through the loudspeakers which the staff said they were not allowed to turn off. If you dont mind that -or you are deaf-it can not be faulted. What a disappointment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank henry c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

Exploring the Jurassic coast for a few days midweek. Our Deluxe room was cosy and comfortable after being out and about all day. The motion activated soft lights in the bathroom were a good idea.

Really genuine, helpful and friendly reception and waiting staff (and all seemed local and long term employees, so knew all about the hotel and the region.)

Dining room views just fabulous in the sun and the breakfast buffet was good too. Extra marks for happily and promptly sorting out and serving us a couple of veggie sausages but many marks off for using battery hen eggs. (The hotel makes a big thing of using fresh ingredients and sustainable fish from local suppliers, so this really was disappointing.)

Apart from that a very pleasant couple of nights at a rather unique place.

Room Tip: The incredible view of Chesil Beach is from the bar/bistro/breakfast room and outside the hotel, our...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

I was very pleased with this hotel the last time, so thought it was time to give it another try. I was not disappointed. The staff are just so friendly and helpful. We had a small room, but it had a view, it was very small but clean and what the hell we didn't plan on spending all day in our room. It also had a walk in shower, that was a bonus, as I have had both hips replaced and have trouble climbing over a bath and am unable to sit in one. We ate there every day once in the restaurant the rest of the time in the bistro and could not fault the food, the service, or anything. Given time I think this could become a regular trip for us. As before, we will be back. Thank you once again to the staff, who were always cheerful and talked to us.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Took a De Luxe for the 6ft Bed ( I am 6ft 4"), Room clean well appointed, Bath Room very well done out. View over Chesil is quite a view, could look at it for ages. Only had breakfast as we ate out but there was plently of choice from the Buffet. Staff we really friendly and very chirpy but who wouldn't with that view.

1 Thank MuddyFox785
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

stayed in portland height for one night over the august bank holiday weekend. we had a lovely stay. The rooms are very basic but very clean and comfortable. The resturant has a fab view and well worth spending time there. we had lunch there and the ploughmans was lovely. The afternoon tea looked lovely too. The breakfast included in the price of room was great plenty of choice and we found all the staff polite and welcoming.
We spent the evening in weymouth £11 for a taxi. The harbour is full of places to eat and pubs. we would definately stay here again for a short break.

London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

There can be no doubt the views from the terrace and bar/coffee shop of Chesil Beach and Portland Harbour are stunning. However, this strange hotel is not. The place looks as if it was built as something else and someone put a hotel inside. It is as dismal on the inside as it is on the out. Poorly lit corridors with pebble dashed walls, cheap carpets. The hotel room door sounded hollow. Basic rooms with bedspread and blankets, the bathroom left a lot to be desired, apart from the hairs left in the bath and on the tiles, the actual bath would fit a small child only, the shower which works from the bath tap had little power and was easier to use when detached. The was a flat screen TV with freeview chanels. Evidence of paper thin walls was discovered but persons in nearby room chatting and slamming doors.
The restaurant was a shambles, one guest and his two sons walked out after waiting 35 minutes for thier order to be taken for dinner, I waited 25 minutes. The food was ok but more like pub grub. Strangely the lady who servered me a bread roll could not take my dinner order?This was done by a lady who was clearly overburdened as she was the wine waiter, cashier, head waitress. The management to get their act together as staff worked hard and were polite, but clearly lacking leadership and strategy.
Car parking was fairly easy, except if you were arriving after about 8 pm as a function was one and this filled the car park. When I enquired was told "hopefully they will go soon".
Sunday breakfast was a hot and cold help yourself buffet, even before 9am, it finishes at 10 am it was hit and miss, first no fried eggs, then no hash browns. I settled for watery scrambled, luke warm plates. The toast white only was the doorstep type, but had evidently been an improvement on what someone discribed as frozen shop bread the day before.
The lone traveller (me) was offered a small table next to two trees, most of which hung over the table, it would be impossible for two to eat from there, why are they there?
OK great location, otherwise not up to travel lodge standard. Hope for good weather you would not want to be stuck in here for too long. Let's hope the make a fortune from the Olympics at Portland and build a new hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see rooms first
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JockLondon_England
Exeter
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I visited this restaurant at the end of July with my Uncle who was visiting from Sweden. My family and I wanted to show him the lovely view over Portland and grab a bite to eat at the same time.

From the moment we entered the restaurant we were greeted with a frosty atmosophere and were completely ignored by the staff, so just stood at the counter and waited until the waitress had finished making some drinks. We waited a good five minutes and had no acknowledgement or apology whatsoever, and other members of staff walked past but didn't serve us.

When the waitress was finished, she simply turned to us and said "Who's next?" As if we were in a crowd of people (we weren't) and hadn't been stood there for the last 5 minutes! We ignored this and ordered some coffees, a tea and 2 cupcakes because they looked gorgeous.

We were served, with no friendliness at all, and went to sit down.

I (obviously) went straight to the cupcakes, and cannot describe how disappointing they were. My mother thought they were completely stale, but I think it just wasn't a sponge base, instead it was like a plain scone! The butter icing on top, was almost purely butter with very little sweetness. It was so awful we couldn't face eating them,. which is not something I would do lightly. My uncle did have a cream tea which he said was fine, so I was glad he wasn't left too disappointed.

I am annoyed at myself for not complaining, but I didn't want to have an argument and I really couldn't see these staff apologising as they had already been so off-hand. I really wish we had asked for our money back, looking back now.

The only good side is the view, and it was grey and misty so unfortunately we didn't even see much of that! The restaurant itself was also incredibly dusty and just looked like it had been given up on.

I will not go again, even on the clearest of days. I do not want to give them my money again.

2 Thank Jenr0cks7
Riviera Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#19 of 22 in Weymouth
Premier Inn Weymouth Seafront Hotel

Been to The Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!