“A welcome addition to Gillingham Dorset!”
Review of The Shed - CLOSED

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We cannot believe that Gillingham now has such a contemporary stylish restaurant! We have already made several trips here! The best visit we had was for an evening meal. We shared a steak which the owner showed us before they cooked it as they are proud of where they source their meat from with complete traceability. It was cooked exactly as we requested and was delicious. We also tried the bone marrow which wasn't to my personal taste but great to try it. Chips were good too. The owner recommended a bottle of wine which went really well with the steak. Service was very good - we weren't rushed or bothered and just left to enjoy our evening. We also tried the cooked breakfast on a Saturday which is served in the bar which is simple but well cooked and a nice treat. Finally our most recent trip was for Sunday Carvery which isn't actually a true Carvery as the meat isn't carved in front of you but that said the meat was tasty and they had a good very wide selection of vegetables to choose from. The decor is stylish and effective. There are no windows but this makes no difference at all! There is a good selection of wines and spirits but the beer selection is a handful of local bottles only which we quite liked. You cannot just drink here, you have to eat which is quite nice. Looking forward to more outings here! Please support this local restaurant!

2  Thank DebGSouthWestEngland

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I thought the Shed would be a most welcome addition to Gillingham, so four of us went on a Saturday night in January. It really was most disappointing. If my wife and I had been on our own we would have sent our simple meal of fish and a chicken rice dish back as I am sure our guests would have too. The price was also a little over the top.
So yes one can accept that perhaps it was an off night so we returned with two other guests for a Sunday lunch carvery on a Sunday in February. I thought a Carvery was prepared in front of you, not in the kitchen at the back and we all had the pork which came as an under cooked pork chop. This time all the meals did go back and replaced by unappetising lumps of chicken.
SORRY never again, and I am never afraid to give my number (0771 982 8209) when undertaking a trip advisor review
RJ
Gillingham, Dorset

1  Thank Ralph J
Reviewed February 25, 2013

On top of other positive reviews its worth saying that they've got most things just about right at The Shed. One cover for each table means that you are not rushed, the wine list looked good and was priced right. The £20 Rioja went really well with our steaks. Service was good and the most important thing, they were cooked exactly as requested. My medium rare was just as like it.
We'll be back!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Shed!! WOW.....

From when you walk up to the entrance this bespoke little place is so understated, but as soon as you walk through the door, the relaxed yet stylish ambience enthralls.

The bar area is relaxed and very comfortable, the dining area suggestively calling you beyond.

Food brilliant... The Shed burger I had was delicious with the best homemade ketchup I have ever eaten..yum yum yum...... Chips crisp yet fluffy, and the coleslaw...a great twist with red cabbage and maybe a hint of horseradish which complimented the meaty burger. And under £10!!!

My friends had the Dorset Blue Bunny tagliatelle and although they were surprised at the quantity given, promptly polished the bowls clean!!!

The ethos of this place is...understatement... I thought Gillingham...urgh... But oh my oh my!!

If you go, you are going to have a treat, if you don't never mind, that will be a free table available for those on repeat visits!!! You must book, it's always busy...even midweek!!

1  Thank Caroline A
Reviewed February 24, 2013

First visit to Gillingham's new restaurant hidden away off the Market Square in Gillingham Dorset. Sunday carvery, choice of beef, pork or chicken or a combination of meats. Good selection of help yourself vegetables: roast potatoes, cauliflower/broccoli/Romanesque, fennel, cabbage and carrots with a tasty gravy. All good quality produce, good value at £10 a head. Only criticism would be that the meat and gravy could have been hotter. Will try for an evening meal.