“A pleasant country hotel”

The Ship Inn & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We ate lunch here today and were impressed the food and the friendly welcome. The Ship is located in West Stour, NOT Gillingham, although Gillingham is nearby it would be too far to walk.
I had a venison burger and my husband had poached haddock with a poached egg. The food is interesting and we had a job to choose !
We would definitley return.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We spent a long weekend in a holiday let nearby but kept coming back to The Ship for the food, beer and friendly atmosphere. Entered the pub quiz and won and we were still welcome! Gavin is a great host and we will return. Angry Badgers.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We arranged a family Christmas meal for 15. From our first contact with Gavin ( from the USA) our plans went without a hitch, and Gavin was more than helpful, accommodating our requests. The night of our dinner, the wait staff were attentive thoughtout, the food service smooth, and the food excellent. Everyone's dishes arrived timely, and, as someone with a catering background, I have to say this was one of the best "christmas" meals I've had. The Chirstmas Menu was festive (but had selections for the not quite so traditional), and modern, there were ample vegetables served, and my only complaint was that additional sauce/gravy would have been nice, however, a request to the wait staff, and gravy boats appeared. We spent all evening at our tables, and were made to feel relaxed and comfortable throughout. Too bad that we are 3,500 miles away as we would love to have this pub as our local!

Room Tip: Only one couple stayed at the Ship, the rest of our group was local enough to go home at the end of...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We have previously eaten here and enjoyed it so we thought would take some friends here and stay overnight.

All I can say is wow! The food was lovely - imaginative as well as delicious. I had the scallops with risotto and found it to die for. The rest of our party including my husband had the steak and blue vinney pie and all enjoyed. Make sure you save some room for desert as lots to tempt you.

The service is great - warm and friendly.

We were the only guests overnighting and the room was gorgeous. The mattress was a little soft for me but that is personal preference. The in room tea/coffee was fab-the cups were mugs which you don't find in high street hotels.

The breakfast included in the room price was delicious - a full english what a lovely way to set you up for the day.

Overall, the service, room and food was excellent. Would I stay here again? Yes. Would I eat here again? Definitely (when can I go back!). Would I recommend? Absolutely!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank DeeDee1973
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stopped for lunch at this place and was very impressed with the service. The decor of the pub is nice, with a separate dining room(s). The food was pretty good - I had whitebait which was in a too heavy breadcrumb coating - I much prefer when it is lighly dusted. I then had a club sandwich and this was very good indeed.

I would happily go back again, and indeed would stay over. We stayed at the Stapleton Arms a couple of miles away - With hindsight, I would stay here (see my sepearate review of the Stapleton Arms)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Power_Ranger_007
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at The Ship Inn to break our journey from London to Devon and what a great find.

From the moment we phoned to make our dinner reservation to the moment we left the morning after our stay the service we received was warm, welcoming, genuine and friendly.

We stayed in Room 1, a well presented, nicely decorated room, a little let down by the shabby bathroom. The room is at the front of the building and the combination of a window that didn't quite close, the road and very thin curtains made for a disrupted nights sleep and an early morning.

The food was very good. The Dinner menu was full of tantilising options and the choices we made were well presented and delicious. The Full English breakfast was a great way to start the day.

I would have no hesitation in recommending a stay here to friends and family, with a recommendation to ask not to stay at the front of the building.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay at the Ship Inn and Hotel. Great location, great team under Gavin running the place, and lovely food (the restaurant was full last night).

A relaxing inn with the benefit of rooms. We shall recommend to friends and hopefully return.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank PhilTwyford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ludwell
Holbrook House Hotel
Holbrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wincanton

Been to The Ship Inn & Hotel? Share your experiences!