“Lovely lunch in wonderful setting”
Review of The Scott Arms

The Scott Arms
Ranked #8 of 10 Corfe Castle B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The Scott Arms is a treat...lots of atmosphere and lovely views. The food is excellent and though busy (it usually is), service was prompt and friendly. It is not cheap but the quality is worth it. I would imagine booking is needed at peak times, but even when full, the hidden corners and spaces allow for a degree of intimacy and atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Booked in advance for family reunion stopped serving food early when only half the party had ordered then forgot half the food and when we complained "manager" was out, chef was "ill" and the acting manager was rude and actually walked off half way through our conversation.....absolutely disgusted. All that was required was a simple apology...these people should not be in the hospitality industry

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank susieboo22
DorsetFoodandWine, Owner at The Scott Arms, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear SusieBoo22

Thank you for taking the time to write your review; it has clearly been troubling you since the summer when you visited.

We always try our hardest to make each and every customers visit to the Scott Arms an enjoyable one and I am sorry you did not find that on your visit.

During the summer we do not take bookings for large groups as we cannot always guarantee to serve so many people; as happened on your visit. We also always close the kitchen in the afternoon so the chefs can have a break and then prepare the food for the evening service; so again we could not serve your group who had arrived late.

I am sorry that this did not suit your plans and wish I had been there to deal with the situation. My apologies again if you found the staff did not deal with you well however I do advise them to walk away when faced with rude and aggressive behaviour.

Simon Coppack
Owner

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in June this year for one night in the Swyre Head room. We found the staff to be friendly on arrival who showed us to our room.

Over dinner in bar we met the owner who is a nice chap and clearly works hard to make it a pleasant experience for guests/diners. I know there are a few bad reviews on her about service but we had no issues at all - though it was pretty quiet and before school holidays etc.

The food at dinner was and the cooked breakfast had top quality ingredients. Overall I would stay again but not perhaps in the school holidays. Good location as well

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A very nice place to stay. Away from the Hustle and Bustle, but close enough to enjoy the quaint Town/Village of Corfe Castle, with of course its Magnificent Castle Ruin. The Scott Arms only has a Few rooms so book early. You will not regret it. The rooms are immaculate and large, with plenty of hanging room. I stayed in the room pictured, which I found to be excellent and immaculately clean. The bed was extremely comfortable, so coupled with the quiet surroundings, I found it ideal. Not a great view but I think unless you are sitting all day in your room, this is not an issue. If you want a view, go round to the rear of the pub. Cannot beat views like this on a balmy summers day, with Corfe Castle in the distance. The food is excellent, with a huge choice. Morning breakfast is made up from locally sourced farms. It is the best. The service I found was very good. A little more expensive than the norm, but you only live once, so live it.
The Busses run quite frequently from near outside the pub. The fare was £2.60p into Corfe itself. However, its cheaper to get a day rover. The biggest gripe I had with the whole weekend experience was with Swanage Taxis on 421122 or 425350. I took a taxi to Corfe Castle. A distance of 1.4 Miles. The price, £13.90p. They did not tell me on booking, that you pay from their Taxi Office to where you are picked up and then the fare to where you are going. A total disgrace I think, especially when the Taxi came from just around the corner from another fare. I knew this because he was there in 47 seconds. Another disgrace. Throughout, an excellent place to stay, but do not get the Taxis, especially from Swanage Taxis.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank simmo999regt
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Having stayed here many times, it was nice to be down in the summer! Normally a winter treat we had a great weekend here and had the chance to sample the jerk Shack menu. Starters of local scallops followed by a pair of bbq lobsters......... Bloody marvelous and thoroughly recommended. As ever Simon and Cathy were the perfect hosts and we were sad to be heading back to Datchet on the Sunday.
Cheers guys.
Peter

Room Tip: Both are fabulous
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PETER1348
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Recently stayed at the Scott Arms for three nights in the room called Swyre Head, named after a local beauty spot. The generously proportioned bedroom was spotlessly clean and tastefully furnished. The bathroom likewise. The pub itself is a wonderful old place with bags of character and, of course, that wonderful view. The breakfast and evening meals we had were all first rate and we found the staff to be a really friendly, helpful bunch. Kingston is ideally placed for exploring this glorious stretch of coastline and numerous walks can be taken right from the front door. Of course nowhere is perfect and if I had to make one small criticism it would be the lorries from the nearby quarry which rumble passed the hotel during the morning. It's not hugely problematic, but somewhat ironic given the out-of-the-way location. Overall though, I would thoroughly recommended the Scott Arms.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms and 'Swyre Head' where we stayed was a lovely spacious room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Lovely small country pub with a couple of quaint rooms. Booked here at short notice on our way along the south coast. What a lovely find which came recommended by family for its lovely food.
The views over Corfe Castle and surrounding hills are beautifully English. We stayed one night, had an evening meal and breakfast. The food was delicious with an excellent varied choice. An extensive range of cider and wine.
Staff were relaxed and very courteous.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 10 in Corfe Castle
Ammonite Bed & Breakfast
Ammonite Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 10 in Corfe Castle

Been to The Scott Arms? Share your experiences!