“A really good place to stay and eat!”
Review of The Scott Arms

The Scott Arms
Ranked #9 of 10 Corfe Castle B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Friendly and helpful staff, well furnished and comfortable bedrooms, a good menu and wine list, a quite excellent breakfast plus a view of Dorset that cannot be beaten. Not much more to say other than we will return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I booked fairly last minute and was specifically looking for a B&B with a difference in the area. A well reviewed 18th century listed building with stunning views and food ticked the box!
The pictures on the website are accurate and shows the rooms as they are. I stayed on my own in the Chapman's Pool room.

The Scott Arms is really easy to find and parking appears plenty.
On arrival, I received a friendly greeting at the bar and the barman knew to expect me. Check in couldn't be more efficient - I was simply given the key and shown to my room (up a short flight of stairs).

In short, the bed is comfy with good linen and I had a fabulous night's sleep on both nights.
Be aware that the room is street facing (albeit a little side street) so you may well hear the odd car outside. No double glazing as this is a listed 18th century building!
Also keep in mind that as the rooms are above the pub, you'll also be able to pick up on some of the people talking in the pub downstairs. It's more of a muffled sound than being able to hear a conversation - and certainly nothing that remotely bothered or disturbed me. Besides, the pub closes at normal hours so you'll definitely have a quiet night's sleep.
A couple of small niggles with the room: A bit of paint peeling on the wall in the bathroom needs touching up. The lights for the bathroom are a bit temperamental and on occasion switches itself off. I have reported it and they said they'll get the electrician to sort it out.

Breakfast in the morning is delicious. Plenty of cereals to choose from and a big selection of home made jams with toast from home made bread. Fresh apple & OJ too. There was smoked salmon (plus something else with it) or a full English. I could face an entire full English so only had bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. Delicious!!
Amazing bacon, lovely eggs and really tasty mushrooms. Yum.

I also had dinner there the one evening. What a stunning view from the back garden.
Food came promptly and I didn't have to wait too long - though I was there at the opening of the evening dinner service on a Sunday.
The main of venison loin was absolutely melt in mouth! and the goats cheese starter was lovely too (huge slab of cheese).

So I've rated it it 4 because it's a little on the pricey side (more like London prices).
But would I stay again? Yes definitely.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank whichwayup
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Just come back from a 2 night stay at the Scott Arms - loved everything about it. Friendly, laid-back staff, excellent food and great choice of wine and beers. The bedroom was immaculate and tastefully decorated and furnished. And the owners made a point of chatting. Really couldn't fault a thing. And the setting is magical with the views over Corfe Castle,and the pretty village of Kingston.
Highly recommended for a very chilled out, relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I should begin by saying that I live within 20 miles of this delightful pub and have known it for over 30 years. On this occasion four of us decided to cycle and stay overnight before continuing on our cycling holiday around Dorset. We booked both rooms and found them to be of very good quality compared to many similar establishments. The beds were very comfortable, the decoration and furniture contemporary and of quality. As always, it is the attention to detail that always stands out. Kettle, Teapot, various teas, coffee, quality biscuits etc were plentiful. There was a TV but none of us switch them on! Our room was the 'Swyre Head" which had a marginally larger bathroom to the other room 'Chapmans Pool' which our friends had. There were a couple of things that let the bathrooms down. Having arrived at 8.00pm after a full days cycle we all wanted a shower before changing for something to eat. Unfortunately, it appeared that the hot water supply could not cope with two showers running at the same time and so we found that the shower in our room literally only dripped out. I decided to wash instead in the sink but this too only dribbled out. In our bathroom also we found that the fan for removing stale air did not work and the windows would not open, so there was no-way of refreshing and recirculating any odours - not pleasant. Both bedrooms had very little toilet paper when we arrived and neither rooms had any spare rolls - even in the bathroom cupboards. The towelling was good and clean though I would suggest that a face-towel size would have been useful as an addition and the floor could have done with a bath-rug as the floor became very slippery when wet. As mentioned before the attention to detail makes the difference when staying in a room. The bathroom could easily be made much better by simply addressing details such as toilet paper, face towel, and bath-rug. The fan and lack of water pressure are essential issues to be addressed. We did bring the water problem to the attention of the staff, where I was told that they had just had a 'new tank fitted' I think that they may need to look at this again and consider a better pump to distribute the water. The fan needs replacing.
Having made the above comments I should say that in all other respects the rooms were very good and I hope that the management will address the above.

Aside from the room, we spent a delightful evening in the restaurant enjoying some very good food. We were particularly impressed by the attention and table service given by several of the young waiting staff. Breakfast was good with a good choice of cereals, jams etc and a good choice of hot cooked food as well. A very pleasant start to a new day of cycling.

It should be said that all the staff were very friendly and approachable. We arrived in a very muddy state with dirty shoes and very muddy bikes but the staff were kind enough to let us lock away our bikes in the barn opposite over-night and never once question our muddy shoes - which we of course removed before entering the pub. We sat all evening in the bar, in socks only!

Overall the issues mentioned regarding the bathroom can be easily addressed and hopefully will. When they are, the accommodation, food and stay would warrant an excellent as far as rating is concerned. If the pub wishes to encourage more cyclists (and there are many who would) then going the extra mile to provide and advertise a place to lock away bikes, would be a definite advantage - the barn looked like with a little bit of thought and work, a great facility to offer cyclists.

We all look forward to coming and staying again next year.

Room Tip: Swyre Head room probably a little busier outside the windows as it faced the main passing road - tho...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AKDDorset
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I had lunch in the pub. Nice food, very quick service, and friendly waiters.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I stumbled across this little gem whilst on the way to another place, though it looked nice and booked dinner. Arrived to an amazing view and great pub. The food was superb, service was excellent and friendly. Everything was local, and prepared beautifully. The ice cream my girlfriend had for desert was made in the farm next door, ideal if you're carbon-footprint aware. Really found it hard to fault in any way; even the wine selection was above average! If you can, sit at the front of the pub, it's very cosy. The back room, however, has amazing views to offer.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We have stayed at this pub 3 times now and this time it was not very good at all. We had no teabags in the room. The heating was on all night long and I could not turn it off. The heating system made weird noises all night and I didn't get any sleep. We ate here both nights
and the food was terrible. My fish pie on the first night was burnt and the cabbage and carrots slung on the side of the plate. The 2nd night my sea bream in cream sauce was literally floating in the cream sauce. I did tell the owner but got no response whatsoever. We walk in swanage regularly but will never stay or eat here again. Shame. For the money the
room cost it was a poor experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 10 in Corfe Castle
Woodyhyde Campsite
Woodyhyde Campsite
#3 of 4 in Corfe Castle

Been to The Scott Arms? Share your experiences!