“Very expensive - an ordinary country pub”
Review of The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Corfe Castle
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The most photographed pub in Britain, nestles under the magestic remains of Corfe Castle. Large outdoor garden with views over the Swanage Railway and Castle. Simply delicious British food with a European twist. Locally sourced seafood with fresh produce from farmers, butchers and bakers. Large selection of real ales and Dorset ciders. Fish and Chip Takeaway. Hand made Italian pizza to go Food served all day. Live music every Friday. Two beer festivals May and August. Weddings, birthday parties and staff parties. Look at our website for details of our food festivals. 01929 480205
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had lunch at the Gryehound. I should have learnt from experience that getting a cold stare from the barman when I walked in should be taken as a indicator to turn round and walk out. A pint of Courage ordinary bitter was £3.80 and served very cold-. My friend had a lemonade and lime which was £3.50.

Special of the day was lamb rump which was nice but rather cool when served. Expensive at £14. The steamed vegetables were just cold. A small serving dish was for 2 people. The size that would normally be for 1 person. Food was served by who seemed to be the landlord with total lack of any enthusiasm or attempt at conversation.

There were few customers but the "dish of the day" still took 40 minutes to be served!

House red wine was pricy £14.75 but quite nice as a South African pinotage.

The outside was fashionably shabby chic but the interior was just worn out 1960s. This lovely and very old inn had a carpet on the floor of a pattern taken from a 1960s jukebox.

There are much better pubs in this delightful village square.

We moved elsewhere for pudding which was not even offered at the Greyhound.

I will not be returning until assured that this charming inn has had a serious improvement which would entail at least a new landlord.

P.S. There was a notice behind the bar which said "If you have enjoyed your visit please file a report on Trip Advisor". Looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor there would seem to be not many satisfied customers!

1  Thank Localityenthusiast
jaccipestana, Owner at The Greyhound Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Sir

I am saddened that you did not enjoy your experience with us. It is our motto to give each customer a great experience here. I have spoken to our manager about your experience here, and discussed it at great length with the kitchen brigade.
It is a great concern that food should be served to you tepid, we have just re- jigged our kitchen team and are still ironing out a few problems, hence why the sign is up on the bar to gauge customer feedback.
We have brought in Rosette and Michelin trained chefs and all these learning curves and pointers from customers will ensure that we get to the top of trip advisor very soon.

We do served over 80 000 meals per year, with only very few negative feedback. However feedback is what we act upon to improve what we do continually. I sincerely hope in the future you might reconsider another visit to us

Jacci Pestana

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have never written a review on trip advisor before but was compelled to after a lunchtime visit to The Greyhound this weekend.

We have eaten at The Greyhound many times when visiting Corfe Castle but will not be rushing back. We arrived at 1.30pm and weren't warned about any delays in the kitchen We waited 1hr for flat bread pizza, a fish finger/cod baguette and a side order of chips. Other customers arrived after us but their food arrived before ours so we began to suspect our order had been forgotten.

We heard a table behind us complaining about the lengthy wait, who had waited 1hr for a round of sandwiches. When we enquired about our order, the landlord disappeared, unceremoniously plonked the 'pizza' and chips on our table without so much as an apology for the delay and we waited for the fish baguette.

When I went to the bar to remind the landlord that we had also ordered a baguette he jabbed his finger at the till and told me we hadn't ordered it. As I was in earshot of my partner placing the order I knew we had. So, rather than apologising for the obvious error of one of his bar staff, the landlord instead became confrontational and aggressive, which immediately raised my hackles.

This extremely rude man needs to go on a customer service course. First rule of customer service - do not accuse your customers of lying. Although customers aren't always right, this one was and I was extremely unhappy that the landlord chose to argue and accuse me of lying rather than trying to rescue the situation - which he could very easily have done.

The only saving grace was that the young barman who served us apologised for the mix up. We won't be going back in a hurry and the 'pizza' was nothing special and, at £7.50, was quite frankly a rip off. We also realised after ordering that the 'pizza' had different toppings but no alternatives were offered at the time of order. The goats cheese tasted suspiciously like grated Parmesan but we were beyond the point of caring by this time and just wanted to eat and leave as we were late for an appointment.

We will head to The Castle the next time we visit Corfe as we have heard good reports of the pub and their very friendly service and attitude to customers.

2  Thank Campervanfan S

Dear Campervan
I have discussed the issues you raised with the team who were on duty when you ate with us.

I also have pointed out to all staff, reminding them continually to inform customers of delays in getting food out to them. On the particular weekend in question, we had been let down by 2chefs and were running on a skeleton staff in the kitchen and the sheer volume of orders that come through between 1-2:30 can cause huge delays when the team is short.

My humble apologies for any unnecessary inconvenience that you may have experienced
I know, Micheal our manager, has a lot to deal with and I am positive that sometimes, it gets a bit tetchy for all of us, when some things are beyond our control. He has assured me that he was really keen to get your food out as quick as we could, without compromising quality

Your comments have been noted and were duly acted upon

Many Thanks

.Jacci Pestana

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Whilst visiting my aunts in Taunton, we decided to try the greyhound pub/hotel. It has a 4 star rating for the hotel, and on trying the restaurant I know why. A pretty place, we were greeted by lovely, friendly and efficient staff, The menu combined the usual with the more unusual, Lamb shanks to Guinea fowl and Fish or Venison. Do try the sharing fish platter for starters. The prices were reasonable, the food was cooked to perfection, beautifully presented and served. Nice wines too. The snack menu was short and sweet, and according to other patrons just as delicious.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We found this great pub by chance and what a gem. A great local pub that made us feel welcome and very relaxed.
I had the steak and kidney pie as it said that it was homemade and it was delicious ! I don't normally have a pie when I eat out as they are usually so disappointing but this was full of tender meat and kidney. My husband had the lamb and he said that it was one of the best meals he had ever eaten !
We both had dessert even though we were bursting as they sounded so good and again they were delicious. Homemade banoffee pie and a scrumy dorset apple cake.
It was very good value and if we lived closer would use it as our local.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Greyhound is very welcoming and dog friendly. We have visited there often, and always find it excellent.