All reviews spa bath ceiling fan lovely hotel homemade biscuits apple cake white company toiletries lyme regis complimentary tea and cake crazy golf heated swimming pool ample seating piping hot well stocked bar short break good size gluten free quiet area
Selected filters
Reviewed April 18, 2019

if you arrive before 5 you get a complimentary pot of tea and cake, very welcome after a long drive. the room was clean and well appointed. the staff were very welcoming and were attentive. my wife and I had a walk around the back of the hotel and found a route through the wood to the lyme regis golf course. which in turn took us to a national trust walk called spittles point where we had a great view of the bay. on our return we had dinner which was excellent and the waitress very good having just returned from uni, unfortunately I have forgotten her name. the only point of concern was that the towel radiator had a slight leek which was reported.

Room tip: the best views are at the front of the hotel
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2019

Stopped in the Fernhill with 3 colleagues for an impromptu meeting . We were very well looked after in the well equipped "snug" and also had lunch which , along with the friendly welcome & service , was of the highest order .

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2019

This is a family owned hotel that offers a warm welcome along with tea and cakes on arrival. The locally sourced food is cooked well and caters to most tates. Although it is too far to walk into town it is easy to take a taxi; however, the restaurant and bar in the hotel are worth staying at the Hotel for.

Room tip: Plenty of parking spaces. There are stairs to navigate.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2018 via mobile

My family and I had dinner and breakfast here as part of visiting family over Christmas. The family room was comfortable and plenty big enough for 3 teenagers. The evening meal was unbelievable and went way beyond our expectations and the service was attentive and friendly. The food would rival a Michelin started restaurant! I could not fault this place.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank alicemaisie18
Reviewed November 1, 2018

ATMOSPHERE/AMBIANCE: Throughout this hotel and from the moment I stepped through the door, a calm, warm atmosphere pervaded. It was airy, light and friendly. No one was rushing about and I was welcomed very warmly.
BEDROOM/BAR: My bedroom (2) was spacious, decorated to a theme and included White Company toiletries, flannels, robes, an exceptionally comfortable bed, fruit, flowers, homemade biscuits, a ceiling fan, sofa, table and chairs and a spa bath. Bar is contemporary, spotless, bright and cheerful. A good selection of drinks, nothing is too much trouble. It is a good place to eat lunch or an informal alternative to the evening dining room.
COMPLIMENTARY/COMFORT On arrival a pot of tea and a large slice of warmed apple cake is provided to begin your stay. Your comfort is taken seriously and there is always someone around to ask, if there is anything you require. The chairs and sofas in the Snug have been provided for your comfort, as have loungers around the pool which is a total suntrap.
DINING: I asked to meet the French chef here because his food is consistently the best I have ever eaten in a hotel including grand hotels further back along the coast. It is superb without being pretentious. Meat is tender, the sauces really creamy and the portion size is just right, The 'chunky potato chips' done with a veggie burger were out of this world! Piping hot, crispy and fluffy potato inside. He is an absolute credit to the Hotel and I am glad I was here long enough to sample everything he cooked. The standard was consistent with every dish.
ENTERTAINMENT: In the lobby/hallway there is a cupboard containing a selection of fun board games, something for everyone. Also, behind reception there is a very large selection of DVD's available to choose and play in your room. Ask at reception for the list.
FURNISHINGS: I found the colour schemes and general condition of the furnishings to be of first class standard. In the Snug particularly, the leather sofas were very comfortable, the chairs and table overlooking the pool were nice to sit and have a coffee. It was sunny and warm for the time of year and I had a mattress on a lounger by the pool in the sun which was very relaxing. The furnishings in my room were also in good comfortable condition, I didn't see anywhere that could be called shabby, grubby or in need of refurbishment. The rooms and hotel are sympathetically decorated to give a period air without being too heavy. Not an easy task.
GROUNDS: Adequate car parking, comfortable seating on the sunny terrace which overlooks the pool is shingled and clean and well maintained. The area round the pool in honey coloured stone looked perfectly fine to me and at the near end is an arbour covered in a magnificent Wisteria that must be a delight in the summer. The colour scheme is followed throughout of a calming eau-de-nil green. There is ample seating for coffee or drinks. The entrance steps of heavy grey slate are bordered by 2 water features and look immaculate.
HOSTS: This family-run hotel have hosting down to a fine art. I am here waiting on a operation for a broken foot and not one single member of staff could have done any more to make my stay more relaxing and enjoyable. They will bend over backwards, if made aware of anything, that will make a stay more comfortable. The service from the staff is efficient, warm and second to none. Over 2 weeks, I have never seen a disgruntled face or someone drumming fingers at reception. Without exception, you are met with a welcoming can-do attitude that is most impressive.
INTERNET: Works! The code is in the folder in your room
JANUARY: Closed for a well deserved rest
KINDNESS: I came alone, with a handicap and didn't know anyone here, so for solo travellers, you will be met with kindness that goes over and above the usual welcome expected from a hotel. The kindness was genuine and not patronising. If there was any time I was anxious about my incapacity, there was someone I could go to and more than being made to feel comfortable, I was made to feel 'at home'. For that, I can not thank them enough.
LOCATION: For those more mobile, the hotel is perfectly situated for both Charmouth sands and on in to Dorset and Lyme Regis the other way. There are some lovely walks over the estate, 2 large ponds and a marsh garden.
MUSIC: As I write, there is no music around, but a selection of contemporary songs are played at a pitch that is easy to listen to if you want to, but not too loud to blot out all conversation! It adds to the atmosphere whilst eating in the dining room or bar. I did not find it intrusive at any time.
NOTEPADS: There are pens and handy notepads around and by room phones, handy to jot messages on
OFFERS: The Hotel do arrange offers - currently Christmas, but also, it was explained, better to buy dinner/bed/breakfast across the board, which entitles you to any course including the 'special' at a flat rate, rather than B&B and then dinner separately ad hoc.
PEACEFUL: I am here at a quiet time, but I can imagine the hotel as a peaceful place, as there is space, it's not too big in the main building and the general ethos on reading the literature, is to promote an atmosphere of calm and peace.
QUESTIONS: Ask, email, phone with questions about your stay as they arise and they will be dealt with tactfully and efficiently. I couldn't find anybody that I felt was unapproachable in any way.
READING: Books are available in the Snug, or ask.
SWIMMING: The pool looks great and is a good size. Closed now, but open to non-residents. No inflatables.
THERAPY: A beauty therapist from Lyme was found for me to help me relax and formed a wonderful part of my stay. She was excellent. Ask at reception if you require her services and to find out what she can offer and a visit can be arranged to your room.
UNCLUTTERED: The hotel is spotlessly clean and uncluttered. It is neat and tidy but still 'lived in' ornaments have been, I feel, tastefully chosen to blend in, not haphazard.
VICTORIAN: The original house dates from 1837, the year Victoria came to the throne. Some of the decorations and rooms reflect that era, especially the lovely palm in the dining room.
WEDDINGS: The Hotel do weddings, I was told, which is something I would definitely be interested in. A wonderful venue.
X: A big hug and X for making my stay such a pleasant and comfortable one
YES: Would I recommend this Hotel to other people?
ZILCH: There is zilch I can think of that the owners of Fernhill Hotel do not know about running a successful hotel.

Room tip: 2 Good size comfy bed and a table and chairs