All reviews smugglers bar sea view superior room coastal path narrow country lane lovely location west bay hake friendly hotel short break a family run hotel night break log fire each evening single room would highly recommend this hotel four poster
Selected filters
Reviewed April 30, 2019

Stayed for a couple of nights in the week last minute after Easter. We have eaten here before in the Smuggler's Bar but not stayed. We took the full board dine-in offer and we glad we did. The food throughout our stay was fantastic, high-end restaurant quality.

The hotel itself is charming and tucked away with nice views out to sea. Everything was clean and the staff very friendly and attentive.

1  Thank Steve B
Kevin F, Owner at Eype's Mouth Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. It is very rewarding to know that having visited the Smugglers Bar you decided to stay at the hotel and found the food of a high quality, the rooms clean and the staff friendly and attentive. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed April 30, 2019 via mobile

Can't rate this hotel highly enough, it's great.

A great hotel I can't rate highly enough. My husband and I decided to have a last minute break before we pick up our puppy. We have been living away for 4 years so haven't been able to return here, a hotel we stayed often at prior to our departure. I'm pleased to say the standards are just as high as before. Rooms are bright and clean, the service and friendliness of the staff exceptional.

We had dinner which was delicious. The wine list was varied and reasonably priced.

Breakfast was the nicest I've had in a very long time, and far exceeded the standards of some top rated hotels we've stayed at.

We look forward to returning with our pooch once she's old enough to travel

All in all a great stay and we'll be back with pooch when she's old enough to come and visit.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Delighted you enjoyed your stay and particularly pleased to know the standards are as high as they were on your last visit some years ago. We try constantly to maintain and improve our level of hospitality so it is always pleasing to receive comments like these. We will look forward to welcoming you back with a new guest in tow!!!

Reviewed April 22, 2019

I booked for two nights over the Easter weekend and I have returned home rested and refreshed. The location is perfect and peaceful with plenty of parking both opposite the entrance and in a car park below the hotel. We arrived early and expected to park the car, go for a walk and check in later but our room was ready, so we checked in there and then. I noticed that the print out I was asked to check only had one guest listed I corrected this and pointed it out to the owner I did think at the time it may have been an error on my part but my email confirmation states 2 guests. I mention this as the room we were given – number 11 a standard double was very small; it was tight with two of us trying to move around I did think we had been given a single room but did not query this at the time. Only one cup on the tea tray but we were given another one when I asked for it. The shower was unusable due to low water pressure and we only had one set of towels – again I wonder if we were allocated a single room? But if so, why was this not picked up on during check in? The bed was comfortable one of the best I have slept in but the whole room seemed a bit tired and dated. the information folder needs updating - take out the Valentines day 2017 menu for a start.
We booked for dinner that night and the food was excellent along with the service. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and we did not need to eat for the rest of the day and again service was faultless. We ate in the Smugglers bar that evening and again the food was good if a tad expensive.
So, it was a stay of two halves, staff and customer service cannot be faulted at all and the location was perfect for what we wanted to do. However, I feel that for the room we had it was overpriced (£135 per night) and at that price I would not stay again. I have to be honest in my review and I will say that any negatives were not discussed at the time, so I welcome any feedback from the hotel.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kevin F, Owner at Eype's Mouth Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2019

We are delighted you you found the location perfect and peaceful with the hotel offering plenty of car parking. Your on-line booking was made for a double room which was the room allocated. We apologise that there was only one cup and one set of towels. This was an oversight on our part.
We have noted your comments regarding the information folder and will update this at once. The room has a bath and shower attachment which I assure you we will address with respect to it being of low water pressure. This has not been a problem in the past and we are sorry it caused you an inconvenience. Your room is a standard double room and although smaller than the superior rooms, its views across the downland to Thorncombe Beacon and the coastline, making it a popular choice of many of our guests.
We are pleased you found the food and service at dinner and breakfast excellent. All our food is freshly made making the most of quality local produce.
You paid £130 per night for bed & breakfast for your two night stay over a very busy Easter weekend. As you indicate, your comments were not raised at the time, as had they of been, we are sure we could have met your expectations. However, we once again apologise for where we fell short and thank you for your valued feedback as it helps us to improve as we strive to offer the best possible standards of hospitality.

Reviewed April 21, 2019

It must be 6 or 7 years since I was last here and I was welcomed back like an old friend. The decor has been freshened up since I was last here and the look is much more contemporary, but the relaxed and friendly (but very efficient) service and amazing food were still the same as ever. Set in a beautiful area, we had a lovely couple of nights being well looked after in this gem of a hotel looked after by its wonderful owners.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kevin F, Owner at Eype's Mouth Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is very rewarding to hear that our effort in developing the hotel is noticed. The team here appreciate the recognition for their service and the standard of food. Hopefully, it will not be another 6/7 years before you visit again.

Reviewed April 12, 2019

My wife and I stopped for 2 nights;Bed, Breakfast & Dinner. The hotel is very clean and warm, radiators were very hot in our bedroom and the bar and restaurant areas, with a log fire in the bar area it gave a very pleasant feeling to the early evening . After a long day of touring and walking the beach and cliff tops, which are literally five minutes walk from the hotel which is situated in small village. The quietness and sea air meant we had excellent sleep during our stay. The service from the hotel staff was very professional and we would love to visit again.

Date of stay: April 2019
Kevin F, Owner at Eype's Mouth Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2019

Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We will pass your comments to all our staff as they appreciate such feedback.
We hope you will have the opportunity to visit again and to enjoy the beautiful views along the cliff tops.