“Best chocolate in Dorset!”

Chocolatiers Cafe Bridport
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Bridport
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: We are Bridports chocolatiers, we make hand made luxury Belgian truffles and novelties which on many occasions you can see being made whilst sipping your drinks, we also have a wonderful cafe with comfortable seating in a relaxed cosy environment, Our coffee has been named from many customers local and from afar as Bridports best and our homemade chocolate brownies have their own reputation for being the best in town with many customers choosing to eat in and then take home, or reserve as they fly out! If chocolate isn't your thing our hot and cold drinks will be sure to set your taste buds on fire. We also have a great selection of sandwiches which you can choose to have toasted or as a sandwich, all the produce to make these lovely bites are sourced locally direct from the butchers, local farm shop, or green grocers, we make a fantastic and slightly spicy chilli pot which again is sourced from our local butcher and green grocers and is served with an amazing chunk of fresh bread on the side!! Not forgetting to also mention our lovey BIG jacket potatoes that are oven baked and stuffed full of a choice of many fillings - We have many more delicious items on our menu so pop and see us and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!! Hope to see you soon
London, United Kingdom
“Best chocolate in Dorset!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

It never fails to impress me how lovely this place is.

This is probably my 5th visit here and my only complaint is that it is sometimes hard to get a seat - shows how busy it is I suppose.

The chocolate brownies are to die for - as are the peppermint creams - a real treat.

You are not rushed to leave like some other places and the staff are friendly.

Also, very reasonably priced and child friendly - which is great.

All round winner for me.

• Visited June 2014

Reading, United Kingdom
“Very friendly relaxed service”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My DD and I popped in late on a Satuday afternoon, but no problem as they will stay open if they have customers. Staff are very friendly & conversational, happy to make recommendations and engage in general chit chat. My iced Americano was made exactly as specified, although the guy said he'd never made one before (?) it was fine. DD declared her luxury hot chocolate yummy and the frogs are great, not least cos I don't eat wheat so can never eat the usual biscuits. It's great watching the chocolate being made and I'm sure many people go out with some, however our budget didn't quite stretch to it. Final comment - the young man took a bit of a risk telling me he hoped i didn't mind him saying that my daughter was really pretty - I didn't mind, but it wouldn't go down well with everyone (she's 21), made her day when I told her, sadly as we live miles away there isn't going to be a wedding any time soon! Would definitely recommend as an alternative to the soul less chains, use them or lose them!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jane D
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Staff friendly but otherwise lacking”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have now visited the Chocolatiers Cafe 3 times and will not be going back for a 4th.
The first time I visited I just ordered a diet coke so that I could look at the venue and the menu.
The staff were very friendly and after taking my order at the counter then brought it to the table for me. After looking at the menu I discovered that they were trying hard to cater for most tastes. I use soya milk in my hot drinks so it was a lovely surprise to see that they could cater to me as most places dont.
Back home I discovered through facebook that they were now going to be serving jacket potatoes and were possibly offering sandwiches etc in the future. This along with their current offering of a small sample of cakes made it seem like they were going to be a venue that was worth taking the family to for a snack lunch.
Bank holiday arrived and so myself, my husband, daughter, son in law and 2yr old granddaughter decided (after messaging the owners through FB and checking they were open) to have lunch together at the cafe.
I already knew the venue was small and so we may not be able to sit all together round one table but I didn't realise we would struggle to sit anywhere.....we waited about 15 mins and eventually some tables came free which meant we would sit on either side of the cafe but at least we could get seated. My husband and son in law sat at one table and myself, daughter and granddaughter sat at another. Not ideal but we were not that bothered about it.
We then started looking at what was available to eat and drink. The very nice but very stressed member of staff behind the counter told us that they werent doing jacket potatoes. In fact the only food he could offer us was some chocolate brownies.
We had waited 15mins for a small slice of cake for lunch.................!
We had our drinks (which were very nice) and cake and left to return home to start raiding the fridge for lunch for everyone. What a disappointing visit.

Undeterred I decided to try again and my next visit was this week.

I am not one to base my opinions on whether a restaurant or cafe is worth visiting again after only one visit as I know that every business can have a bad day....and every customer too.

I decided that I would try the Soya white hot chocolate drink and waffles with strawberries. Once again the member of staff was very pleasant but one of the first things she said to me when she came to the counter to serve me was "sorry for the wait. I am trying to get the washing up done" to be honest.....I dont care about her needing to do the washing up, but I know she was just engaging in chit-chat so......
I then asked for the soya white hot chocolate "I dont have any soya milk but if you dont mind waiting we will run to the shops and get some"..........once again....I really didnt need to know this...........they could have just gone to the shops and brought it and I would have been none the wiser but I appreciated the gesture and told her not to worry I would be happy to have a diet coke. I then ordered strawberries and waffles. She then told me that they would need to go to the shops to get this as well as they didnt have any (I am not sure if she meant just the strawberries or if this included the waffles too).
I was a bit gobsmacked. It was just after 2pm on a friday afternoon. If they had run out of this stuff now then what was she going to do for the next 3 hours service and also what were they going to sell on the Saturday.
I told her not to bother.
I ordered a diet coke and the last piece of chocolate brownie from the counter. I was served at my table and was then left to "enjoy" my visit. I spent about 20 mins having my drink and cake. I was not spoken to again by the two female members of staff. No one checked if "everything is ok" even though I was sat opposite the counter.

I will not be visiting the chocolatiers cafe again. It is not a relaxing atmosphere as the staff, although very friendly, do seem to be very rushed/stresed.

As for the food...well I have only been able to try the chocolate brownie and it was very scrummy...its such a shame as I really wanted to enjoy the whole experience and I havent.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank ChocolateEater101
Winchester, United Kingdom
“YUMO”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Friendly staff, gorgeous silky smooth truffles. The owner even gave me a sample of the vanilla truffles she was making by hand at the time of my visit.

Visited May 2014
Hullbridge
“Little gem of a cafe...”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stopped in here with my Husband and little girl after reading reviews on here about the brownies and coffee, we weren't disappointed. We were lucky enough to arrive in time to watch truffles being made. The lady dipping the chocolates, I think the owner, couldn't have been more welcoming, giving my delighted toddler a sample of dinosaur shaped chocolate and saw us to a seat with books and crayons for my little girl too. There were two other staff serving too, both friendly and professional, chatty but not intrusive and couldn't do enough to help. We ordered two flat whites, two brownies with icecream and a little 'babyccino' which came complete with marshmallows and lots of frothy milk. The coffee was excellent, nice and strong (we were asked how we liked it) and full flavoured and served with a dinky chocolate frog on the teaspoon. Brownies were fudgey and rich with big chunks of chocolate at the bottom. To complete our chocolate overdose we bought a little box of chocolates to take away from us which we are finishing as I write this, all very delicious, not oversweet. I jut wished we lived closer, though perhaps for the sake of my waistline it's best we don't.......

• Visited May 2014