“Lovely find”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We found this pub by accident and what a find it was. Very friendly staff, lovely meal and quiet surroundings. We ate inside as it had spaces but there is a good sized garden. Although not far fromn Bridport it seemed as though we were miles from anywhere..Really lovely meal we will return.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

During our recent 3 week stay in the U.K. two of our friends celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. They stayed at The Marquis of Lorne on their wedding night and wanted to return for their anniversary. We were all a little apprehensive about going back, but we need not have worried. The present owners and staff made us feel very much at home and were extremely helpful and courteous. The food was excellent, perfectly cooked and well presented and we could not in any way fault it. We will certainly return here when we are next in Dorset and have no hesitation in recommending it to friends and family. It is a little isolated along narrow country lanes, but well worth the effort of finding it..

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went to The Marquis of Lorne for Sunday lunch and it was delicious. The food is made with locally sourced ingredients, is cooked perfectly and tastes wonderful. Three courses cost only £19.95. I highly recommend this pub for a quality Sunday lunch.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently booked a table at the Marquis of Lorne for lunch for 1.30pm, half an hour before they take last orders at 2pm. We were running late, however, and I phoned up to say that we were still on our way just in case they cancelled our reservation. I almost asked my husband to turn back after the phone call though as I thought the person on the other end was a little rude. She thanked me for letting them know and said that last orders were at 2pm. I told her not to worry as we would get there long before that (in the end we were 10 minutes late) and she said, "we don't open all day you know, we do close in the afternoon". I wasn't quite sure how to take this but I felt as if we would probably be hurried through our meal as staff would want to enjoy the sunny heatwave weather.

We carried on regardless and had a wonderful lunch with absolutely gorgeous food. The steak, in particular was one of the best I have ever had and the waffles and ice-cream were to die for.

There is also a very nice playground area outside which will please children of all ages, set in lovely surroundings with gorgeous trees and some picnic benches.

I would have given this lovely pub 5 stars if it had not been for the slightly curt manner in which I was dealt with on the phone. In the end I felt bad for ordering dessert as everyone seemed desperate to get out of there. In fact, the staff managed to whizz off in a car as we were in the play area with my son afterwards.

In summary, this is a gorgeous pub with delicious food but they need to work a bit harder to get the customer service right.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This inn is set in an idylic spot and the food, service and general hospitality are all excellent. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make your evening enjoyable. The inn islocal to us so we have been before and will definately go again. It is a popular place so booking is advisable.