“Good atmosphere, good food, friendly service, car park”
Review of White Horse Inn

White Horse Inn
Ranked #61 of 140 Restaurants in Bridport
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Country pub in picturesque village of Litton Cheney, near Dorchester & Jurassic Coast. New Owners October 2013. A Warm & welcoming rural pub with cosy log fire during colder months, pretty sunny, stream side garden! Good quality food, all meals freshly prepared using locally sourced produce. Varied menu, English, Asian, European & Vegetarian with gluten free choices. Large car park for many cars also suitable for overnight motor homes. Skittle Alley available for parties & event hire.
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Put DT2 9AT into your sat nav.
If you are driving on the A35 between Dorchester and Bridport. Just down the hill into the village you will find a great little pub with very good food.
I love fish and my plaice was excellently cooked and had great flavour.
Worth turning off the main road for. Open Mondays!

1  Thank BaldEagleDude
Val W, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2014

Hello Colin
Thank you for such a great review and for posting useful information to others how to find us. We are a little 'off the beaten track' and as a consequence have to find imaginative ways of directing people to our little country pub!!

We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

We enjoyed some drink in the beer garden for a few nights prior to eating here, it is a lovely setting and we have no issues with the drinks service. You should just keep in mind that the food service we experienced was slow (an hour and a half) and we were met with little sympathy. If we had known we would be looking at a wait we would have ordered a starter or some crisps but after an hour and ten minutes I asked about our meal and was met with a response of 'we have been busy'. I would have been more understanding if I had not booked.

1  Thank Sarah H
Val W, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2014

Hello Sarah, thank you for your review. I am sorry that your experience of our pub food service was not a good one. I make no excuses that your visit coincided with one of our busiest nights of the School Summer Holidays, but unfortunately on that evening it directly contributed to your meals being delivered much too late.
I understand that Kelvan deeply apologised to your partner and did not charge for your meal. I hope this went someway to compensating you for your dissapointment. Kelvan and I were very unhappy with ourselves on the night of your visit and took steps to immediately put into practice an improvement to our systems where pre-booked tables are prioritised and communication between the Bar and Kitchen Staff is clearer.

I certainly hope if you are in the area again, you will visit us and enjoy a much better experience.
Regards

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Called in on a busy Friday night having booked the day before. The pub was full and had a good atmosphere. Two of us ordered catch of the day (battered plaice - what a lovely change from cod or haddock) and Dark Horse had Fig & Brie Tart with salad; the fish was excellent sealed in the batter and therefore steamed inside it as it should be with the accompaniment of peas & chips exactly what you'd expect. The Fig & Brie Tart was imaginative and a welcome addition to the menu being sweet, creamy and full of lovely rich flavours. For sweet we had a Sherry Trifle and what can only be described as a superb cheese board comprised of local cheeses which two of us shared. My mother rolled back the years and demolished the Trifle. Two of us drank Palmers ales which we know being local and the landlord kindly gave us a sample of their summer ale to try. One minor criticism. The homemade Tartar Sauce was a let down for 2 reasons; firstly the serving was hardly enough to coat a spoon and secondly it should be packed with capers & gherkins which I couldn't detect. That pernickety little moan aside I'd recommend this pub to anyone visiting the area.

1  Thank Christopher G
Val W, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Hello there - thank you for such a wonderful review.

It is good to know that you enjoyed your food so much and I will pass your compliments to the Chef. I will also pass on the comment about the tartare sauce, which is home made by our Chef. Even if only a minor issue to yourselves, we take all comments on board however small and I will look into the points raised.

I hope to see you again soon

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We ate here last night and we could not have been made to feel more welcome. We booked a table at the last minute for eight (including two young children) and nothing was too much trouble.
The food was fantastic, locally sourced and really good value. This place is seriously punching above it's weight!
If only our local pub was this good. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone!

1  Thank Rapleys

Hello The Rapley Family
How nice to receive such a wonderful review from your visit on such a busy nght! I remember your family well, as you were all a pleasure to serve and the children were so polite and a real credit to you.

Thank you and we certainly hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice pub, the food was good, we had home made chicken pie, that was ok could have been made with more juice, friends had ham, egg and chips, ham had lots of fat, other meals ordered liver and bacon and A fish dish both friend liked that!
For desert Apple crumble delicious, cheese and biscuits I was asking myself where was the cheese ?
Bannoffee pie this was just made with condensed milk, not the traditional we well expect,

recommendations
Don't order the ham or cheese and biscuits or even the Bannoffee pie!

Over all experience was okay we were served by the management so one would expect top class treatment

Date of visit 29th of July 2014

Hello Jason, I am pleased that you & your family enjoyed your visit to our pub & thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.

I take on board your comments and will raise the issues regarding the cheeseboard and ham, egg & chips to the Chef and kitchen staff. We were particualrly busy on the night of your visit and unfortunately, the presentation of your meals should have been better.

As I see that you are local, please do visit again and speak to me before your meal and I will personally ensure your meals are delivered to our normal excellent standard.