“Bit of a shocker.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridport
Parkdean - West Bay Holiday Park
Reviewed April 2, 2013

It has to be said that west bay and the surrounding area are beautiful.
I can't say the same for the caravan. You'd think that through the winter they'd do all the maintenance to the site and prepare the caravans. Not a bit for me, caravan was a bit of a shocker- tired, old, cramped, locks broken, table broken, not enough chairs or storage, draughty, and I mean draughty, Bed linen really poor quality had to find an old car rug to keep warm in our DRAUGHTY caravan. Caravans really close together so you get all the noise and stuff you don't need plus no parking in our bit of the site.

Staff the usual mix of really helpful and can't be bothered.

All in all....pants....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank griff15

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We have just returned from a week staying on the touring site at West Bay Parkdean complex. The touring site itself is fine, the pitches are a good size and are relatively level. The grass pitches were very wet and we watched several people arriving and having to be rescued by a 4X4 (a touring regular problem I suppose). The shower block was very clean and has strong HOT showers (too hot for my kids to use though). The couple who look after the touring site were lovely, very helpful and a credit to the park. The indoor pool was fine, a shame that the only showers were the two at the side of the pool. Here comes the bad stuff . . . The WIFI did not work and despite reporting this several times it was not fixed at all during our whole weeks stay. The food at the bar looked nice but tasted quite bad, the meat was as tough as old boots, I have to say that the staff at the bar were lovely and very good with kids. The outdoor play are was closed for the first half of the week, the indoor play area was closed for the first few days because it needed cleaning. When the indoor play area was opened it wasn't actually clean anyway so I think we may have been fobbed off initially, it's also a small play area compared with other sites. I appreciate that we stayed at the park when it had only just opened for the season but I did expect everything to be open and working correctly. When booking the site I specifically checked whether there was any work going on and whether everything was open and was told it would be. A disappointing stay, try Haven down the road instead!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Makanjees M
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I originally booked camping for 2 nights for my partners surprise 30th Birthday. There was 25 of us kiddies and dogs included. Unfortunately for us the weather completely let us down and there was no way any of us could have camped comfortably in minus temperatues plus the wind and rain.
A few of the group managed to book Caravans before their arrival, but when I phoned the morning before setting off I was told there were only 2 vans available which wouldn't except dogs and would of cost us all alot of money!
I set off with my partner and dog still trying to think of a back up plan without ruining the surprise. when we arrived at West Bay we decided to take a look at the pitches to see if it maybe was going to be ok to camp after all. on arrival we realised that camping was out of the question! We went to Reception at the Touring hut and were greated by Bev, who went out of her way to find us an available van! A van was found for us that would sleep the remainder of our party and the 2 dogs, we were also able to transfer the money we had already paid for Camping over to the van price and the only extra money we had to pay was for the dogs which was £30 for a deap clean after our stay.
We all had a great weekend and no that if we had camped we wouldn't have had such a nice time only because the weather was so bad!
The van's were very clean, well equipped and most importantly for us warm!!!!
The park itself has great facilities, entertiment and fantastic walks a stones throw away.
I would like to say a special thanks to Bev and her husband for their help on the morning of our arrival as If it wasn't for Bev especially, we would of had to camp which would have been very cold and wet!
Most importantly my partner had a fantastic 30th Birthday with Friends and Family and without a doubt we will visit again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jetsetterDorset
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for our main holiday this year, a week after the unfortunate incident near Burton Bradstock.
We arrived with a bit of trepidation, due to the poor treatment we had off of ParkResorts in 2011, and apathy towards customers from Haven in previous years.
We were pleasantly suprised - the smallest of the 3 major, park based, holiday companies in the UK - PARKDEAN still put the holiday maker 1st. We stayed in Bredy Down 19, a new van this season, right next to the back door of the pool.
We arrived early, so our van wasn't ready - so I asked if I could dump our car and trailer on site, whilst we went to explore. No trouble at all - the receptionist pointed out a part of the resort that was quiet that day and told me to feel free.
As we are usually campers, I wanted to look at the touring site, and ask a few of the customers about the facilities. As per usual (whenever we go away) the first people we spoke to were actually from Hinckley, just down the road to where we live. Well we were told that the ameneties block does get busy - but is kept clean, and our own inspection of the area found banks of flat terraced pitches on the side of the slope. So good quality and well above the flood plane.
(I see a possible future booking for a camping holiday)
Half way through our stay we learned that the park had suffered from some severe flooding when the River Brit had burst its banks. And I say half way, as the clean up had removed all sign of the trouble. Staff told us that they still had one or two vans drying out - other companies have always seemed to try to hide troubles like this. I appreciate the honesty.
The Bar was Ok - Entertainment was the usual holiday chain "Hi-de-Hi" BS but we expected that anyway. The other room was a quieter lounge, that had a decked patio outside, much more pleasant.
Ok the pool is a little small and a little bit out of date - still a good facility on a wet day.
Nice play area for the kids not far away.
The shop wasn't the cheapest, usual covenience store prices, so not too bad. Luckily on our 2nd day we had biked to Morrisons, 2 miles away in Bridport to do our main holiday shop. I have a trailer for my push bike, so no need to take the car.
A great place to explore the locality, great scenery if you want to walk or cycle. The local bus is only a 45 min ride to Weymouth and runs quite regular.
Overall a great base for the local area - we will go back - but we already have plans for 2013 and 2014.
Company Ratings on recent experience: Butlins = 3*; Haven = 1* ; ParkDean = 5* ; ParkResorts = -3*

Room Tip: My Average Scores are based on me begrudging to pay for a caravan, i prefer my own tent. Also our K...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank KevRaven
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Decent holiday home- clean and comfortable but bedrooms very cramped. Outdoor Play park excellent and our 3 year old enjoyed it but soft play area left a lot to be desired. On site restaurant dreadful- wife asked for fried egg to be well cooked as she is pregnant- the yolk was runny despite the white being fried to a cinder! Staff very friendly and helpful. Site very close to harbour- beautiful part of world.

NB - If making a trip to Sealife centre in Weymouth dont buy tickets from West Bay reception as suggested by staff- pick up one of the vouchers from the leaflet rack for an extra 25% discount

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank G_Man186299
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Decided to book a caravan weekend as a budget break. The van was spacious and clean but a little "tired" looking. it was warm once we worked out how to light the gas fire! The television was tiny for the size of the lounge and the lighting could have been nicer with a lamp or two. The park staff were all helpful and friendly. My advice would be to book a top of the range caravan unless money is a major factor in the decision. Lovely area to explore.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Choosyfloosie
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed for a long weekend here recently,and found everything excellent.our caravan was one owned privately and hired out by Parkdean holidays{as i believe most are}the van was spotlessly clean very well equipped and very comfortable.The site was tidy and well kept,the staff friendly and helpful.The swimming pool was great lovely and warm and clean!Didnt use the entertainment section so cant comment on that but overall a lovely site that i would certainly return to.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HJStafford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridport
Haddon House Hotel
Newlands Holidays
Newlands Holidays
#4 of 5 in Charmouth
Littlesea Holiday Park - Haven

Been to Parkdean - West Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!