“Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The West Bay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bridport
The West Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Bridport
banbury
“Food”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Excellent food ate here Friday & Saturday but a bit let down my the service. Had to go to the bar twice for are drinks on both nights but on the plus side we had two free rounds of drinks one on each night which i guess they forgot two put on our bill because i went too the bar and i was not going to point this out so £32 in our pocket. Also one drink a Barcardi & coke was served with flat coke which the bar man was reluctant to change there coke is out of 2 litre bottles not draft and ours was the dregs of the bottle so not very professional. Apart from that can not fault the place or the food it was fantastic and good value

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend as we had a christening to attend near by,food was excellent and offering good size portions for a reasonable price,hotel room was everything we could ask for if not better,the bed was really comfy and spacious as was the room on a whole,Paul and Tracey were very accommodating throughout our stay!

• Stayed October 2012
Didcot
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The key issue that has to be remembered about West Bay Hotel, is that it is not an hotel. In fact the word hotel does not appear on the building itself. There it is more accurately described as a Bar and Restaurant. And it has rooms. The word hotel only appears on the website.

This report is about the accommodation only. We needed a place to stay for just one Friday night in late summer. They had just one room left, a large double at the front. You will see from their website that there are four rooms in total: three doubles and one family room with a double and two singles. Our room cost £100 for the night. It was a spacious room, well laid out with a very comfortable king-size bed. The bathroom too was spacious though oddly it did not have a bath tub, only a shower, despite the size.
That evening, in the room at about 10:30 pm we could hear quite a bit of noise from the bar/restaurant area below. Obviously a popular place. We weren't too bothered by this, thinking that it would no doubt quieten down after 11 o'clock when the bar closed. But only a few cars left and the noise continued until shortly after midnight when there were sounds of drunken farewells. After a short pause the noise picked up again. I dozed waking periodically and wondering why they hadn't installed better soundproofing when fitting out the rooms. Or even some soundproofing. But then at 1 o'clock the noise quietened down as though the landlord had called time. The peace didn't last long as there was suddenly an eruption of loud noise in the corridor outside. This time I did complain. And then it was quiet apart from a few door slams in the night until about seven in the morning when the door slamming started again.

What it did prove is that you can be a bar/restaurant or you can be an hotel, but you can’t be both unless you’ve got really good separation between the two.

It turned out (at breakfast next day) that the noisemakers were a group of eight, what one might almost call "lads" ( ages ranged from late 20s to late 40s), on a fun weekend. All eight had squeezed into the other three rooms. At least they enjoyed themselves .

So if you want a fun place to stay with real late night drinking and no noise restrictions, then I can heartily give this place a recommendation of five stars. On the other hand, if you want a quiet night's sleep then it's probably best to avoid it, despite the comfortable bed.
So the star rating averages out the two extremes.

Room Tip: The room was not the problem.
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol B
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here this past weekend as an all adult family group. The exterior could do with some attention as it has put me off when I have visted West Bay in the past, however, I could not have been more wrong. The welcome was lovely, staff very friendly, the food excellent (although I did think it was a little on the pricey side). Having said that though, we really enjoyed our dinner and did not feel like we had paid over the odds as everyone was extremely happy. The pastry chef in particular excelled (including the biscuits in the rooms!)
Our room was very well presented, clean, comfy and over all we had a fantastic stay.
Would highly recommend for an overnight treat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

While staying at a nearby bed and breakfast we ate at The West Bay Hotel most evenings, We found the menu choice to be really varied and the quality of the food to be really really good. The staff are friendly and attentive and the price is very reasonable for the quality. I would recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
lincoln
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My hubby and I stayed in a great apartment in |West Bay (very nice)... As we are both food snobs and enjoy fine dining and fresh locally sourced food it was a rare treat.....to stumble on The West Bay Hotel ..we have just enjoyed an incredible 3 course meal, I had cauliflower soup deliously seasoned and fresh bread, my husband had lobster bisque - I could see the orgasmic reaction to this he said it was highly flavoured...personally I am not a fish lover so for my main I went for prime fillet with green peppercorn sauce - cooked exactly how I like it, hubby went for Sea bass with a sea food stir fry I tasted the sauce and it was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal so decided to try a sweet......we shared the three fruit crumble....I have to say this was indeed the best meal we have eaten out anywhere and we eat out a lot! and we do not usually do 3 courses..If you in West Bay try it - some may say pricey - we had three course 3 drinks for £73 pound and we think extremely good value for money - if we come back to west bay we will be eatng there again! The service was excellent as well and I have found somewhere that can make a dry white wine spritzer exactly how I like it - Thank you for a great dining experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Everything you would expect of a seaside pub today! Lovely setting, great rooms (really) lovely staff and almost gastronomic food. The seafood trio ( which is actually two trios - one of wet fish and one of shellfish) is to die for!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridport
Haddon House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Charmouth
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon

Been to The West Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!