“Lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaminster
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed for one night in the coach house?. The room was small but immaculate, very clean, beautifully furnished and a very comfortable bed, the bathroom again compact but really nicely done. Car parking could be a bit tight. Dinner was excellent and although the staff were very pleasant I have never had to chase a wine list before.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My Wife and I stayed there with my Brother & Sister-in-law using a voucher to celebrate my birthday. We were upgraded and had tea & biscuits on arrival. We had a rest period before going down for a 3 course dinner which was absolutely delightful, full of flavours and beautifully presented. After coffee and a night cap we all retired to our respective rooms highly satisfied. The large 4 poster bed was very comfortable and if you like things that go bump in the night, have room 3! There's an old Priest Hole. Breakfast in the orangery was also an absolute delight and the Dorset Snails were a triumph. Don't be shy next time - they are delicious!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Amazing stay and the food was second to none.

The room was clean and comfortable and we both had an excellent nights sleep. We both felt immediately at home when we were greeted and for the remainder of our stay. Service was impeccable and not too formal - just how we like it. Please don't over fuss me but notice me when necessary - all boxes ticked on this one.

But the icing on this fabulous cake was the food. I could taste every ingredient that was listed and I enjoyed every mouthful I took. A Travelzoo deal that was a bargain amongst bargains.

The breakfast was a triumph too - the porridge was rich and creamy, the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was perfection.

I have read some of the previous negative comments and cant believe they stayed or ate in the same place.

Signing off one happy bunny - keep up the good work and I will hopefully return very soon

Room Tip: If you are coming from London or Essex - pop into the Mulberry factory on the way home its in Shepto...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed here using a voucher which included tea and home made biscuits on arrival, a five course tasting menu and bed and breakfast.
When we arrived, we were very kindly upgraded and given room 6 which is nice and spacious and near the dining room.
We started talking to another couple while we enjoyed our tea, and ended up sharing a table for dinner. We had a lovely evening with them and excellent food.
We have stayed here before, and I am sure we will return.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor in the main hotel
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

4 of us stayed at Bridge House Hotel last night after a very pleasant evening meal from the 'Taster Menu' Excellent food, nicely presented. Lovely atmosphere. Helpful staff. Special thanks to Chef Paula for rising to the challenge of our friend's dairy intolerance - she really went the extra mile. Rooms comfortable and clean. Breakfast good, but would have liked a little more choice from the 'cold table' especially croissants and fruit yogurt.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great relaxing evening at this lovely clean and comfortable hotel. Great service and friendly staff.
Room lovely and clean, just the shower needs more pressure. Tasting menu ok . Breakfast fresh and served in an airy clean orangery.. Will recommend .

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading, Berkshire
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Visit date - 16/17th March. 2 people in Room 15 (In Coach House)

We got a night with taster meal as a Christmas present from my parents.

This included coffee/tea + homemade biscuits on arrival, a glass of fizzy Italian then a taster dinner, and then breakfast. I have reviewed the dinner separately on the Bridge House Restaurant page in TripAdvisor.

On arrival, it was a warm greeting, and we were shown to our room, which was nicely appointed, and warm. Clipper tea on offer, there was a TV and the option of iron/board. WiFi was good with easy free access. Loan robes were very soft.

Cardinal sin - A present from a previous guest had not been flushed down the toilet. Not good.

Bed was soft and welcoming, bathroom clean and functional.

The tea and coffee was nice. A little tight on 4 rather sad little biscuits, but c'est la vie.

Breakfast. Oh dear. Great muesli, but the main attraction, the cooked food...

I went for the 'Snails on toast' that the chef was obviously so proud of that they had a review from the Guardian from 2009 up in the lounge. Sadly, this oil fest of fried bread (that oozed oil - I had to put it on a serviette). Oily black pudding, bacon that was more fat than meat, and then 6 poor little snails, lost in the mire of oil. No one asked if we liked the food, and listening to the f***ing and blinding from the kitchen, maybe I'm glad they didn't. We eventually had our plates cleared, and left. To brush our teeth, again.

On leaving, they added a £10 tip that you can take off. I left it as they was a small amount of good service between the apathy. On informing the checkout staff of the issues, she simply said 'I will pass on your comments'. Amazing. How to keep your customer happy 101. Not knock off a few of the bar drinks, or the tip.

I wouldn't go back, and would advise anyone else to.

1 Thank MikeAndDani
BridgeHouseHotel, Owner at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Given that your overall comments are positive, a 2 star rating is unfair.
Your parents paid £139 for your night's stay. Let's be clear about what you get for your money:

Bed & Breakfast
Your room was a family room with one double bedroom and two adjoining singles;
Lombok teak bed with luxury mattress and Italian, Frette linen; waffle towelling robes and Molton Brown toiletries; large flat screen tv;
Complimentary Clipper teas & two packets of locally made Moores biscuits;
Free wif-fi, as you say;

All breakfasts cooked fresh (no tired buffets here) from locally sourced ingredients;

7 course Taster Menu in a restaurant rated by the AA as 2 Rosette & Taste of the West Gold Award winning;

A glass each of Prosecco

All this in stunning 13th Century surroundings.

Total price again: £139 for two people - £69.50 each.

As for the poo in the loo - we're extremely surprised at this claim as this has never happened once in 10 years at the hotel. If you were that unhappy with breakfast you should have returned it at the time. The kitchen language is embarrassing and we're sorry you were exposed to this. The proximity of the breakfast room to the kitchen doesn't help. Nonetheless, it should never happen.

Your comments were passed on to me and I am responding to them now within 24 hours of receipt. I'm unclear of what you meant by your concluding statements which make no sense at all. Our service policy is that it is totally discretionary. We always ask and will remove service if customers are not 100% happy, as well as make other discretionary deductions if deserving. Given that your total extras bill came to £33 I can only assume you were expecting a near free stay. Your details have been removed from the hotel database.
Mark Donovan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaminster
Summer Lodge
#8 of 10 in Bridport
The Greyhound Inn
The Greyhound Inn
#2 of 6 in Dorchester

Been to Bridge House Hotel? Share your experiences!