“Clean, comfortable, picturesque,”
Review of Bridge House Hotel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaminster
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We visited the Bridge House Hotel for 2 nights as part of a Travelzoo offer and found a very pretty, surprisingly spacious, clean and comfortable hotel in the pretty Dorset village of Beaminster. Our room was a really good size, spotlessly clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also a good size and contained a Jacuzzi bath and a pretty good shower. Part of our deal was a 5 course dinner and this was excellent, as was the service. Especially deserving of mention was probably the best hotel breakfast I have had and this was worth the visit by itself. The staff were, without exception, helpful and efficient and our stay was memorable for all those little touches that make all the difference.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6, which was a really good size on the ground floor. Not sure how other rooms comp...

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Using a Travelzoo deal, we found this an excellent choice. The welcome cuppa refreshed, the upgrade to a four-poster room good and the taster dinner superb. The hotel was clean and comfortable, the public rooms good and little things like wellies on loan and guides well thought out.

In Room 3 we could hear reception but at night not even the traffic passing. I doubt I'd have wanted to pay the full price, but the food, including breakfast, was exceptional.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed for a night in half term through the travelzoo offer. What a beautiful place one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in, great 5 course tasting menu and breakfast. I enjoyed the spa bath too! Would certainly recommend to others - thankyou

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We booked a stay with the Bridgehouse Hotel through a Travelzoo offer. Such an experience and unbelievable value for money. From the moment we arrived through to the brilliant tasting menu in the evening we were so pleased with everything about our stay. Even the wine list was reasonable and not marked up as often happens. Without exception the staff were amazing without being 'in your face'. So good when breakfast is cooked to order. Only one complaint. How can you decide what to order when it all looks so good!? Our room was just so comfortable with a large fun jacuzzi.We wished we could have stayed longer but will return.
Thank you to all the staff who made our stay a memorable experience.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 6 on the ground floor which was excellent. Not sure about the other rooms
Reviewed February 14, 2014

A wonderful Valentines Day treat as we slept over on the 13th, waking on Valentine's Day. We had a wonderful 6 course taster meal and to our surprise were given free cocktails instead of the Proseccio that we didn't fancy, the luxurious 4 poster bed had crisp, white cotton sheets, and the room was beautifully presented, a cosy, romantic hotel with loads of character and warmth.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We married at the Bridge House in December 2013 and it was a perfect hotel for a winter wedding. In terms of setting and ambiance, it was a really romantic, beautiful venue. The Christmas decorations were up and added to the festive feel of the wedding. We wanted to set up some flowers (and a few extra bits) in the ceremony and restaurant ourselves and the hotel were very accommodating about this.

When planning the wedding, Mark, Jo, Steve and Patrick all were extremely helpful and we felt our views and expectations were taken on board in the planning stage. Throughout the ceremony (we married in the hotel itself) and wedding breakfast, again the service was great, and we couldn't have asked for a more dedicated team of staff. The ceremony felt extremely special and the room that it was in was light and airy.

It's hard to describe, but we have always felt that there is a certain atmosphere in the Bridge House that isn't replicated in other hotels - an x-factor, if you will! Well, our guests seem to agree, as many fed back to us that they thought the hotel was 'friendly', 'welcoming' and 'intimate'.

We knew the food would be good, as we know the hotel well. Perhaps I am a little biased, as it was our wedding after all, but I genuinely feel it's the best wedding breakfast I have ever had. Guests seemed particularly impressed with the salmon terrine, which just melted in the mouth. Steve was so helpful during the menu preparation stage and it was lovely to come over for a menu testing before the big day. Steve is a very knowledgeable chef and we were happy to be led by him when picking our dishes.

In the evening we set up our own disco, using a PA and again the hotel were great - they just let us have it how we wanted. We also had a buffet and there were quite a few facebook posts giving a shout out to the quality of the buffet ham! I didn't try it myself (too busy dancing) but I believe it was a hit!

The rooms are lovely and again, all guests were impressed.

Really we didn't just want to write a review, but to also extend our thanks to all the team at Bridge House, as our wedding was absolutely perfect and all that we hoped for.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Where to start? Well, this was our third visit (sadly, the loyalty card scheme was abolished, so there's no reward for loyal customers any more - a great pity) and we brought friends with us this time, to celebrate New Year. Before I start whinging, I have to say that I don't agree with other negative views about the food. Apart from one of our breakfast mornings (more details later), the food was exceptional. Beautifully cooked, beautifully presented and reliably good. We eat out a lot and often at expensive restaurants, we're real foodies, well-travelled and we certainly like to think we know what we're talking about!

So, firstly the rooms: yes, they are a little dingy, but what do you expect from a 700-year old building? Yes, the bathrooms are quite small, but again, nothing you can do about that in a building of this type. I would have liked a better shower and more light, but there are plenty of other hotels with standard offerings if that's what you're after. My gripe really is with value for money. If you're spending a small fortune, especially at New Year, your expectations are quite high. You don't expect dust anywhere, even if it's only the clock radio (which incidentally, lost 15 mins a day) and you certainly don't expect your radio to wake you at 7am on New Year's Day, which is what happened to our friends who stayed in the coach house. Attention to detail at these prices is paramount. The bedding, towels, etc are beautiful, though - it's just the finishing touches that weren't there. Our friends had a room that allowed dogs and sadly their bathroom was mouldy, although I didn't see it myself - we were just disappointed that they were disappointed... they'd paid a lot o join us at somewhere we'd raved about and it frankly wan't up to standard.

Breakfast was disappointing one morning out of three. Apparently, this was due to a different chef. If the head chef needs to leave a detailed recipe for porridge, then so be it! The Bridge House porridge was a highlight for us, and since the food in the restaurant was consistently good, we expected breakfast to be inconsistent too (the Bridge House breakfasts were high on my list of things to rave about, before). I also don't expect to get to Day 3 and for the soya milk to have run out (were my dietary requirements likely to change, in the course of a single visit?) and on asking for a cheese and onion omelette for there to be some question over whether onion might be possible. Again, one doesn't pay this much for it to be suggested there may be no onions in the house. Of course, it turned out that there were plenty of onions… it's just a matter of teaching the staff that "yes" is the default answer. I have to say, I agree with one of the other reviewers about the orange juice; I don't recall being offered fresh juice or indeed croissants.

The service really left a little to be desired too, I'm afraid. If I order a long drink, could I not have an ice cube and slice of lemon? I don't really want to be made to feel I'm being awkward in my choice of drink, either - friendly banter is all very well, but at the end of the day I'm a paying customer. If I can serve drinks at home with ice and a slice (for myself, as well as my guests), surely that's not too much to expect when you're out, again especially when you're paying this much for the privilege? We were also left waiting in the lounge twice before being offered drinks or nibbles - very embarrassing on both occasions, because once again our friends seemed bemused after we'd raved so much about the place.

Overall, I'm afraid we didn't love Bridge House as much as we had previously. There was no live music on New Year's Eve (despite what had been advertised), no apology for its absence, no atmosphere in the dining room and we kept having to call staff over to order more drinks. A previous new year, we had a welcome from the owner and different wine with each course. None of this happened this year and it was a big disappointment, especially since we had friends with us this time. It does make one wonder whether the absence of the owners resulted in under-par service…

Sorry, Bridge House, but at these prices we'll try elsewhere next time. We really love Dorset and there is such a lot of competition out there, especially in the current economic climate. I notice "Value for Money" is the main thing that lets you down. It's simple: reduce the prices a little and get rid of the staff with attitude. We'll keep an eye on your reviews and hope to return in years to come!

Room Tip: Room 2, the small double, is quite spacious if you take into account the little entrance hall.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank nitalondon
BridgeHouse, Owner at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest,
How to answer such a long critique?
Obviously, huge thanks for the comments on the food.
And we're sorry you and your friends weren't completely happy with your rooms. The clock radio must have been really irritating. Your comments about breakfast have been relayed to the kitchen.Fresh juice is always on the breakfast table and always has been. Croissants are always available and are cooked fresh on request as stated on the menu.
I'm slightly baffled by the offer of live music. This was never going to be the case this year and I'm sorry you were informed otherwise. Based on the success of last year's New Year's Eve we ran the same format for the evening this year.
My wife, and co-owner Joanna, was there all evening and was very much involved serving champagne and waiting tables. We now have three children with the birth of twins this year and so I'm afraid I couldn't be there. However, our view was that there was a great atmosphere and the evening ran very smoothly.
Given all the positives, it's a great shame that you have so fallen out of love with the hotel. I will obviously take up all the smaller service issues with the relevant department heads. It is genuinely frustrating that we should fall down on details, especially with valued, former guests like yourselves. And we will certainly consider re-instating the loyalty card. Thank you for that suggestion.
If its staggering value for money you are looking for then look no further than our Travelzoo offer - £139 for 2 people, DB&B, 5 course taster menu for one night with a glass of Prosecco - obviously not possible for New Year's Eve with a champagne reception and champagne at midnight, a high end, 7 course menu, complimentary liqueurs, staff on double time and fireworks paid for us in the town square.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaminster
Summer Lodge
Haddon House Hotel
Haddon House Hotel
#2 of 10 in Bridport
Eype's Mouth Country Hotel

Been to Bridge House Hotel? Share your experiences!