“A repeat visit won't arrive soon enough!”
Review of Bridge House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaminster
Frome, United Kingdom
“A repeat visit won't arrive soon enough!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night as a little treat away for ourselves. We booked after already having dinner reservations elsewhere in the the town and deciding to stay over.
Almost as soon as we arrived we wished we had been eating in the hotel as the menu looked fantastic.

The staff were all very attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the area, and really couldn't do enough for us. The room was of a very high quality, spotlessly clean and most importantly, the bed was very comfortable.

Upon returning from our evening out we got chatting to the manager, and explained how much we wished to return to try the hotel's own restaurant sometime.
His response was to offer us a fantastic price to stay the following night so that we might try out their own food straight away. Although this was very very tempting we could not take advantage unfortunately, as we had other commitments for the following day. However, I think this little story truly shows what this hotel is all about, customer service and making you feel like you don't want to leave, some feat to achieve if your guests are only staying one night, like ourselves.

We will definitely be visiting again and next time we will be eating in-house.

Just as a footnote, we did obviously stay for breakfast the next day before leaving and the quality and variety of food on offer was outstanding as we knew it would be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
West Chiltington
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My Wife, Daughter and I stayed at this beautiful hotel on Friday/Saturday 12th/13th October 2012 whilst visitig relatives in the area. The location is stunning on the edge of a small village in unmatched English countryside with quaint stone buildings.

From the momet we turned into the private car park, we were feeling good about the Bridge House, it just looked great and oused a warm welcome.

We really enjoyed the personal touch that Patrick greeted us with when we arrived. A far cry from the large impersonal chain establishments. Reg maintained this excellence in the bar area even extending our introductions to the Steve the chef. We didn't once feel awkward though, a nice sharp wit is always there to put you at ease.

We were shown to our comfy room (4) by Patrick and was surprised at the space and luxury on offer. The building is as old as Patrick (his own words!) and it was a nice change to stay in a "real" old English building.

The room ended up very quiet, cool (as we have the windows open - we don't like hot sweaty saunas) with luxury egyptian cotton bed linen to keep you snug all night. A low level tea making tray was provided with just about every tea choice you can imagine.

We had booked the restaurant on our first night and ended up in the bar for pre-meal drinks served by Reg. Every drink we ordered was perfectly turned out and set the standard for the evening ahead - relaxed with quality.

We finished our drinks and were shown through to the restauarant. The dining room is simply superb with an ambience not found in many eateries these days. An air of luxury and splendour was felt by all without the feel of pomp or prentiousness.

One of my only critisism's was that the food literally came up straight away which I felt was a bit rushed - we all waned to savour the atmosphere a bit first. Not to worry, the food soon took over the converstaion - every meal was delicious, hot and of a standard only expected in the best restaurants. I had a rib-eye steak which I can only say was perfect in every way.

For dessert I had the cheese board which was complimented by my very moorish Fleurie Red wine. Simply stunning!

Breakfast was taken in the very comfortable conservatory room which brought a nice start to the frosty morning. The food again was perfect, egg, bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato and fried bread cooked and served with the usual quality feel.

So all in all, a fantastic stay given by a professional team. Thank you all.

Stay here - you simply can't not like it.

Room Tip: We had room 4 at the front - highly recommended - although you do need and midget to make the tea LO...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 13, 2012

It's not that the building & public spaces lack charm - they are fine. Our room, however, felt no different from a standard motel room pretty much anywhere in the U.S. It was tight quarters at a rather steep price with nothing to compensate.

On the plus side, the breakfast was good & the room it is served in is airy & pleasant, with an outdoor option in good weather.

On the minus side, the staff was almost completely unhelpful. When I inquired about things to do in the area, the desk person had not a single suggestion and told me "This is really the sticks". Thanks for nothing. Upon checkout, we were surprised by a charge for newspapers left on our doorstep. Maybe this is a cultural difference, but we didn't really want them (& left them intact on our doorstep) and would it have hurt them to remove the pittance of 4 pounds off the bill? It would have given us a better feeling for the place & instead we left with our impression of very poor customer service unchallenged.

May I suggest the Bull Hotel in Bridport as an alternative? The absolute opposite of this, only 15 minutes away in a much, much better location for exploring the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fran A
BridgeHouseHotel, Owner at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am obviously very upset and concerned that you had any cause for complaint, especially our customer service - something we are renowned for. We have copious maps, walks and local event information on the front desk. I can only assume that you did not speak with a trained front desk person. This does not excuse the comment, of course, but it does feel like that whoever you spoke to panicked when they didn't know the answer. You have my sincere apologies regardless.
The newspaper issue is more clear cut. You were asked on check-in whether you would like a daily newspaper and I'm told that you said you did. For the sake of customer relations I probably would have removed the charge. Our Reception staff should have used their discretion.
We are good friends with Nikki & Richard who run the Bull Hotel which is a very different offering. It is a boutique hotel in the pure definition. The BridgeHouse is a stylish country hotel and as such they both offer something completely different.
Thank you again for your comments.
Yours sincerely,
Mark Donovan
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

booked this hotel and was there within a couple of hours. a late decision for my birthday. was absolutely delighted to be upgraded to the four poster room. especially as it was my 40th. the hotel is superp, very relaxed, very friendly. as for the resturant we ate both nights and it was the best food i have eaten this year. i will definately go back to this hotel.a perfect location,very quaint hotel.thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

On business in the area and needed a place to stay.
I called in on the off chance that they might have a room and enquired about the room rates.
I was quoted £100 which I thought was too much, I enquired to other establishments in Beaminster and the proprietor enquired to my budget, I explained that £75 was my limit and they said that I could have a room for that price.
Very nice room, very friendly staff, lovely location.
I decided not to eat at the Bridge House although the menu looked very nice and the food smelt delicious.
I did have breakfast included in my room rate and I can confirm that it was excellent.
A very good choice, I had fresh orange juice (and it was fresh) cereal, smoked haddock with two lightly poached eggs with a mixture of toast.
Very good all round but not sure I would pay £100 unless a special occasion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've just returned from enjoying this lovely hotel which had all we could wish for. A beautiful room, attentive and friendly staff and wonderful food. One day of bright and sunny weather when the garden beckoned, and one of rain when the cosy bar did! We can't recommend this hotel highly enough, and will be back as soon as we can.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife & I stayed in this beautiful hotel for only x1 night on Sunday 16th Sept 2012.
To our delight this hotel is full of charm & character which made our stay.
The garden is well established, & you instantly recognise the work/ upkeep it takes in presenting this hotel to it's excellent condition. We stayed in room No.7 which had a fabulous en suite with the bedroom area itself of a generous size, and again beautifully presented.
All staff who looked after us made us feel instantly at home, and catered for all of our requirements.
I was lucky enough to meet the owners in the garden area, to express our thanks for a wonderful stay and to congratulate him on presenting a beautiful, well run hotel.
Will shall return. Thank you once again.

Room Tip: No.7. it has the wow factor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaminster
The Bull Hotel
#8 of 10 in Bridport
The Greyhound Inn
The Greyhound Inn
#2 of 6 in Dorchester

Been to Bridge House Hotel? Share your experiences!