“We loved our stay”

East Farm House B&B
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Abbotsbury
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We had one night at Wendy's wonderfully welcoming farmhouse. I absolutely loved it and my husband was delighted with the books to read in the loo including an old PG Wodehouse. The farmhouse is a traditional old farmhouse with lots of nooks and crannies. My husband is 6'2" and expected to keep banging his head on beams - but was surprised how tall the rooms were. The room was roomy enough, shower gorgeous and bed very comfy. The dolls' houses and dolls were delightful as were the many nick-nacks. There was a feeling of treasured history everywhere. I loved the way the breakfast table was set for guests to eat at a round the table and be able to talk to each other. Thanks Wendy

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DorothyN01

Reviewed September 9, 2011

stayed for 1 one night on jurassic coast walk, not sure if it was B&B or doll musuem!...clutter & dust everywhere. Ideal if you are looking for curiosity/querky factor, but if you want plain old clean facilities, this is not for you!
Breakfast was ok , although the 'dining' room had the most awful smell of damp we have ever experienced.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pumaparker
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I think some of the reviews on TA about East Farm House are unfair. East Farm House is not like a lot of other B and Bs - it's old-fashioned, and it is full of "quirky nicknacks " and "clutter". It is also dark, the rooms are small, and the house is old. But, hey - come on, this is the middle of an an old Dorset village, and the house is probably 400 years old. And you're right in the middle of Abbotsbury. Three of us arrived on horseback and we felt Wendy and her family and friends were all very welcoming and helpful. They organised a field for the horses, and we could use the yard for saddling, etc. The rooms were comfortable and had all you could expect. All three of us slept well, were well fed, and were very happy with our stay. I think if you're asking for modern minimalist perfection, power showers and hardwood floors, then you don't go to East Farm House. If you're happy with something rather old-fashioned, but comfortable, and in a brilliant location, you will love it. We will be going back again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank wspatsy
Reviewed September 28, 2010

'We only take cash (no surprise), we are doing this on trust, break fast is 8.30 till 9.00 sharp'. No welcome on arrival when we eventually got let in, dark , gloomy, like being in an over cluttered car boot sale, great collection of spiders webs in every room, intense let down, most reluctant owner ever.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 186254Lee
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My friend and I stayed at East Farm House for a couple of nights and although overall we don't have any major cause for complaint, there are certainly some things that we found a little annoying, that with just a bit of on-going effort from Wendy, the landlady, could be a lot better.

Wendy is a fairly chatty host and explained where everything was and how it all works. She told us that breakfast was only from 8.30am until 9.00am and that we had to vacate by 10.30am.

At first sight our room looked lovely - very chintzy / lacy with muted floral decorations, paintings of horses and ornaments on every available shelf and surface. There was a large bowl of plastic / dried flowers on the chest of drawers and also on the dresser.

Tea and coffee is supplied but no complimentary fruit or a small packet of biscuits or a couple of little chocolates, like you get in most decent B'n'Bs these days.

There was no mini fridge either even though there would have been be plenty of room for one in the large walk in wardrobe.

I went to have a shower - There was only the smallest of hooks on the back of the door for my clothes - Pointless - Not nearly man enough for the job. Everything had to go on the loo seat.

In the shower itself, it took all my strength to turn the water on and when I had finished, I had to come out and get a damp towel to grip the control before I managed to turn it off. Although a good selection of soaps and shampoos is supplied, there is no shelf in the shower cabinet itself. You have to stoop down and put everything on the floor. There is no bath either.

I went to clean my teeth - Ooops - No glass provided for water to rinse my mouth - Not even one those ubiquitous disposable plastic glasses.

I looked for somewhere to put my makeup bag as there was no shelf above the sink - There was however an old fireplace but the mantelpiece was covered in figurines. I moved one to the side - it was caked in dust. I had to quickly wash my hands again after handling it. Yuk ! Another bowl of plastic flowers filled the disused fireplace - Again, rather dusty.

The bed was large, warm and very comfy - No bedside tables but there was plenty of hanging and storage space in the above mentioned walk-in wardrobe.

We both slept well but were awoken by a strange intermittent gurgling noise quite early in the morning. On further inspection, we found a large box in the bathroom directly under the cistern. Every time you turned the water on either in the basin or shower or flush the loo, it starts sucking and gulping the waste away.

I guess there must be one in the other guests' rooms too and this was the noise that woke us up. I might add in passing that there was no window in our bathroom, so an extractor fan had been fitted. This too clicked and whirred noisily while in action. Thankfully though, there was a switch to turn it off.

My final niggle is about the breakfast - Strickly 8.30am - 9.00am only - So we made sure we were at our seats in plenty of time - Not so our host - We waited 5 mins on the first day and over 10 on the second before she made an appearance.

I normally just have toast and marmalade and a cooked English breakfast, so I had no complaints - My friend however is a vegetarian and at home has either a croissant and jam or sometimes yoghurt and a piece of fruit. None of those can be found on Wendy's breakfast table. Even the cereal is limited to cheap muesli or cornflakes.

The location is fantastic, right in the middle of the village, close to all the tea shops and a brilliant wood products shop. The Swannery and Gardens are within easy walking distance.

The farmhouse itself is idyllic to look at and there are interesting stables and free parking at the rear. You can also park in a very cheap car park directly opposite, if the farm car park is full.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cooked breakfast but my veggie friend had major issues with the selection offered.

In summary, I would say that East Farm could be a whole lot better with just a little effort from the owners - It really seems like their heart just isn't in it anymore.

Wendy, ditch those plastic flowers, have a thorough spring clean. Get rid of most the "hard to clean" personal clutter and most of all fix that plumbing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank JennyDarkinse
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Stayed at this bed and breakfast during a walking holiday on the South West Coast path. On booking the room it was requested by the owner, that payment be made in full by cheque. Reason being that many people had "let her down" in the past. It was a rainy day and we were very wet on arrival. There was a noisy welcolme by jack russell dogs, which alerted the owners daughter who was busy working on the farm. She was very welcoming and let us put our very wet boots under the radiator in the breakfast room. The bedroom was very quirky with sloping floors. The floorboards were very creaky though! The room was en suite, clean and adequate for our needs. Breakfast was average. Overall we enjoyed our stay at this charming old farmhouse.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GladysMidlands
Reviewed February 27, 2009

The East Farm Guest House, upon first inspection, appeared to be a lovely, quaint, family run B&B. However, our first impressions were soon quashed following our introduction to Mrs. Wendy Woods. After discussing our breakfast options and revealing that were we both vegetarians, she spent several minutes moaning about two vegetarians guests that had previously visited and the inconvenience they had caused her when they requested a cooked breakfast. The whole house was covered in dainty ornaments which, despite their charm, made ascending the stairs with suitcases/bags very precarious. The bedroom was fine, except the layer of dust that covered every surface and the cobwebs that adorned the ceiling. Breakfast was served in a room packed full of toys/books, and, once again, a layer of dust. The cereal was rationed (she provided a very poor selection), and unfortunately Wendy's hospitality was dominated by irritation and annoyance towards her guests. When we came to pay by cheque she expressed total dissatisfaction and requested cash due to the costs incurred when cashing cheques. A lovely house which has the potential to be a great B&B but is spoilt by the proprietor and her complete lack of personal skills.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Spotty_slug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbotsbury
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#20 of 22 in Weymouth
Hotel Rex
Hotel Rex
#7 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to East Farm House B&B? Share your experiences!