“Lovely time had by all”

Abbotsbury Swannery
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Abbotsbury
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Took my elderely mother who throughly enjoyed feeding the swans......as we all did. The location of the swannery is lovely and the staff are very knowledable when we asked them any questions.

There are newer reviews for Abbotsbury Swannery

Reviewed September 27, 2012

What an amazing visit! The variety of birds was wonderful.. never have ever seen so many Swans in one place at any time! The very informative placards were appreciated. Wonderful!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Lovely to see the Swans so well looked after and the setting again overlooking Chesil beach is wonderful. Just missing something...

Reviewed September 15, 2012

In Weymouth, the buses advertise come to The Swannery by bus NO NO NO When you get off the bus after walking quarter of a mile, signpost says turn left, Swannery half a mile, that is an understatement it is the longest half mile I have ever walked, at least a mile, some of it down a gravel lane. Not good for anyone with walking difficulties

All the Swannery leaflets DON'T say a price, just upgrade to Abbotsbury Gardens for just £1.00, These are one and a half miles away, which is no good if going by bus. When we got there the price was £10 for pensioners much too dear for what was there, we may as well have gone down to the river for free!!!! Would not waste money there again, and this is being honest..

1  Thank honestlil
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I first visited the Swannery when I was about 12 years old. It was somewhat more antiquated then but the ethos behind its inception was extremely worthy Im a birder so have great respect for anyone doing anything to the good.
Over the years I have only managed to visit about 3 times and other than the first time,have been hindered by parents or time so as not to take full benefit of my visit. Having visited this last time for the first time in about 15 years I was a bit shocked at the entry fee although if youre making a day of it, then the "package" for the other venues there makes it much better value. I still only managed an hour for my "package" price but have the benefit of being able to use the gardens etc on another occasion until the end ish of this month. So all in all not a bad deal. The venue has been smartened considerably over the years and its such a clean nice place to walk around, a credit to whoever looks after it.
I also had the benefit of Tesco entry tickets and wouldnt have paid the full fee for two adults just to go in for the hour that my companion and I did. Would have loved to have time to look at the other exhibits properly, interesting to learn about the bouncing bomb having been tested there and understand the workings of the duck tunnels...would be nice to make that exhibit more of a "social history" study if it were possible to get some video footage of the men who used to do the duck trapping.
My companion and I had walked about 8 miles circuit around Abbottsbury and "Possum" to end up at the Swannery. Its a beautiful area and I shall be returning to do the visitor sites properly, including the Chapel on the hill.