“Dog friendly, people friendly.”
Review of The Abbey House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Abbotsbury
The Abbey House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Abbotsbury
Dorchester
“Dog friendly, people friendly.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just popped in to Abbey house for a cream tea with a friend in their beautiful gardens.

We sat outside as we'd been for a lovely walk in the surrounding countryside, and I had my little cocker spaniel in tow.

Alas, when our order of scones and sandwiches arrived, so did the wasps. No sooner had we waved the first one away from the jam jar, than a gentleman promptly appeared at the table and asked whether we would like a table inside, assuring me that my dog would be welcome in the dining room. It should be noted that she is quiet and well-trained, and at the time, miraculously enough, reasonably clean.

He set down a towel for pups on the floor next to our table and brought over our things from outside.

The setting, the atmosphere, and the food were excellent, as always, but this seemingly small gesture was just that one little thing that put them at the top of my list for first class service.

Thank you, and well done.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Romsey
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were recommended this tea room by a friend just before our trip to the widely known swannery in the town; less than 5 minutes down the road. We pulled up uncertain whether it was the actual location of the one we had been told about and to our delight it was. We walked round the side of the beautiful converted cottage to find the entrance and was greeted by the help and smiles of a waitress. She quickly came to our aid and led us inside due to the slight breeze that would of made the outdoor seating mildly unbearable. We were shown to a table in a wonderful little room that could of easily been a lounge, with plenty of quirks and character. The view through the window was wonderful of tithe barn and the landscape surrounding the tea rooms/b+b. We decided to have afternoon tea. I ordered pigs delight and was presented with a slice of hot chocolate fudge cake with clotted cream. As I like this sort of thing it was not too sickly and was exactly my cup of tea. My parents both had a cream tea and were served two plump plain scones with enough jam and clotted cream to sufficiently fill the scones. The tea was lovely and there was more than enough for one person. As my dad prefers coffee to tea he ordered this and found that this was no problem (as he was having it instead of tea). The coffee was thoroughly enjoyable and he was surprised that it was hot and not luke warm in a cup but instead came in one of those lovely French bodum coffee presses. Once we had payed we optimisticly enquired about directions to a local monument on a hill and were helpfully given directions as well as recommendations for an art gallery approaching our destination. Overall it was a lovely place and refreshing after our walk around the swannery. The staff were helpful and i hope we will return soon!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our favourite place to stay in Dorset. What a tranquil and beautiful spot. Our room was so pretty and comfortable. We stayed in St Catherine's room which looked out over the tea gardens and beyond to the Tithe barn, from the pretty window seat to the the magnificent Walnut tree everything was perfect. We can't wait to go back again and will definitely return next year. We loved it so much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My pot of tea was reasonably priced, my ginger beer was cold. The man serving was very helpful, recommending a safer and more picturesque route to wak to nearby Portesham and also where to eat there (handily, in my b and b). The cream teas looked great. Lovely view frm the garden if the village barn and church in the hill. I bet the rooms here are gorgeous too (I have nothing at all to back up this opinion)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Came in for a late lunch one day and loved it so much I booked a table for my mothers 80th birthday last Monday lunchtime, it was fabulous, my elderly parents can be very picky but they couldn't find fault with anything. So well done have been recommending you to friends and we will definitely return soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

a charming garden with views of tithe barn and countryside with local Portland crab sandwiches on offer generously filled- fantastic local fare! Good service without being obtrusive-
summary lovely setting with lots of good looking food on offer

Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just can't stop coming back to the tea room here. The location is fabulous, the welcome is second to none and the food is wonderful. What more can you ask? Whenever we plan a get together with friends or family the Abbey House is always first choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anne F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbotsbury
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#20 of 22 in Weymouth
Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
#13 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to The Abbey House? Share your experiences!