“Worst Accommodation Ever!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Coast Holiday Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woolacombe
Golden Coast Holiday Village
London, United Kingdom
“Worst Accommodation Ever!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

we opted for this site as it offered pet friendly accommodation. However the accommodation was so bad!!! It was dirty, mouldy, had ripped furniture and in all was the worst place I have ever stayed! Just because I have a dog does not mean I live like one. I will never stay here again!
However woolacombe is very pretty also visited Lynmouth which is amazing and would stay here if in Devon again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Woolacombe_Bay, Manager at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday.

I am pleased that you like the area, Woolacombe itself is very lovely and Lynmouth is also very picturesque.

I am however, very sorry that you were unhappy with the accommodation. Our Pet Friendly accommodation is very popular, and obvioulsy becomes the holiday home for a varity of pets, some who enjoy gnoring on furniture, and some that do not. While we put every effort into ensuring that our accommodation is of a high standard I am sorry you slipped through the net.

Should you come again our managment or reception staff are more than willing to do anything they can to ensure you are happy within the holiday parks and that your expectations are met. We have also invested nearly a million pounds in new furniture and fixings, in all accommodation, including the pet friendly allocated ones.

Thank you again for your feedback.
The Woolacombe Bay team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Cornwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Arrived at reception, and on booking in receptionist grunted and said "didnt know you had children". Strange considering on my booking invoice it said 4 adults and 2 children.
At the accomodation there was no bed linen, so back off to reception. At reception i was told no linen is provided "check the small print"........to which i replied " I booked direct by telephone and was told everything was included" Oh sorry was the reply.
Anyway we had a Riviera Grande caravan, a new model which was very nice, some cutlery missing and no toaster but very nice accomodation.
The camp is very large, like a small village. Facilities are very good, and only a small drive from Woolacombe.
For a holiday camp i thought it was very good. The thing that lets the camp down is the staff, they are very miserable, and most of them had creased tatty uniform on, obviously they dont get time to iron their uniform.
But it is one of the best holiday camps i have been too, but read the small print, and check accomodation as some were very shabby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank caz46Cornwall
Hello.

Thank you for putting your review on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate any feedback.

I am very glad that you enjoyed the site and the area and that everything was up to your expections.

In relation to the staff, I agree that sulliness, and untidiness is unexceptable, and we work very hard to create an enjoyable atmosphere for our employees, which in turns makes a more enjoyable holiday for our customers. I am sorry that you didn't expirience our usual bubbly and helpful staff.

Thanks again
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed in a 3 bedroomed ensuite Honeysuckle Lodge in Lundy Fields. It was a spacious lodge but I would not describe the interior as luxurious. The living room area was poor with a nasty sofabed which we did not use and horrible carpet, it really needed updating throughout (I think some of the other lodges had been refurbished but not this one!). The tv did not work properly and only got 4 tv channels and no radio. However the site is very good, great nightly entertainment and the kids loved the swimming pools. Woolacombe beach is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hello!

I am very glad you enjoyed the facilities the park had to offer and that you had a great holiday.

I am also very sorry that you were not impressed with your accommodation. Being a big park, refurbishments do take a while to reach all the accommodation and I am happy to say that the lodges in question have over the winter been refurbished.

Thank you for your feed back it is greatly appreciated.
The Woolacombe Bay team.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

We arrived at the Golden Coast holiday park. Wow I was impressed. We have stayed at several holiday parks in the past but I have to admit that this one was the best. The Honeysukle Lodges are lovely they have everthing you need, they are very clean and furnished to the standard in to which you would expect. The staff at the resort are very polite and very hard working. There are no queues at the bars, tables are quickly cleaned after use to allow further guests to sit there. A must is the Old Mill Pub the 17th Century Inn. The food is lovely and the service is great. The bar staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I would reccomend this Holiday Village to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am so happy that you had such a great holiday and that we helped you enjoy how beautiful North Devon is.

Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed in a clevewood "Super St Tropez" caravan- which compared to last years "Budget" caravan @ Twitchen House had a slightly more modern interior-but the carpet/curtains and sofa area were a real let down. The carpet, apart from not having been vacuumed was stained and dirty. The curtains were stained,hanging off the rails and impossible to close & the sofa was worn and seemed damp. If you are prepared to clean & vacuum the caravan yourself-and never take your footwear off- it was fine( the cleaners did come and vacuum after we complained, but it didn't look much better) Myself & husband were also sleeping on their bed settee which was also questionable to say the least. Thank goodness we took our own throwovers and an open mind.
That aside, we had a fabulous time at the park. The Clevewood indoor pool & Jacuzzi is nice and the supermarket was great and not too expensive. We had a great meal at the Old Mill- which I was surprised by -and would recommend.
Much better facilities than Twitchen House and the staff to be fair were quite helpful-
If they just replaced some of their soft furnishings which seems to be the focus of most peoples complaints-the accomodation would be so much better.
The Kids loved it-don't let the bad reviews put you off too much!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi there thank you for you review,

I am very glad you had a good time and enjoyed the facilities, espcially Cleavewood pool!

The Super St Tropez accommodation in the Cleavewood area was very popular and did expirience alot of useage. However, we do take your feed back and use it and in this case we have replaced all of those caravans with brand new ones for this year which are now called silver six +.

Thank you again for your comments.
The Woolacombe Bay team.
Oldbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

hi we have just came back after our terrible holiday worst 1 i have ever been on.
me,my partner,my son & my mother arrived at the site for my booking.
the accomadation they gave us was 1 bedroom flat,with 1 bedroom & double bed for me & my partner. 1 sofa bed for my mom & my son to sleep on.
i went back to reception & told them it was no good as my mom as artharitus & she would not be able to sleep on the sofa bed.
they gave us another accomadation which was a caravan bear in mind there was no parking by the caravan & you had to go down a grass bank between the other caravans with steps really high my mother neally fell down them then had to struggle again to get back up them.
again this accomadation was no good so i went back a 3rd time & complained again so then they gave us a apartment which was still not that good, the smell hits you when you go in a moldy smell, the shower in the bath had no anti slip mat which i fell out of the slippey bath & banged my leg as i got onto a slippey floor. the shower was cold.
there was a smelly 2 seater settee & 2 odd chairs the place needs a skip to throw everything away & replace with new modern things. needs updating old fashioned furniture. the beds had rips in them they were about 20+ years old & really hard.
will not go to this place again it was the worst holiday i have been on.
there was a lot of things to do on the site but all accomadation needs updating

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicolasmith1974
Thank you for taking the time to write this.

I understand how frustrating the accommodation sleeping arrangement must have been for you and I'm sorry that we did not do more to solve it. The older accommodation has had a facelift with new furniture and beds.

I am glad you said that there was 'lots of things to do on site' because we do pride ourselves on being able to offer a variety of fun and unique expiriences.

Once again, thank you for your comments, it is through feedback like this that has abled us to target rejuvenating some of the older accommodations over the winte.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

Did you / Are you looking to book from a newspaper offer?..... We did.
You need to do your homework BEFORE booking, and watch for those hidden charges in the small-print!!.
Well that's my one line sorted.

Now for the rundown of our stay. dates 19th-23rd July 2010

booked from our local paper's offer, we checked that this site was/is "PET FRIENDLY" via their own website, as we were traveling with the family mutt.
(Pet Friendly is NOT stated in these sort of offers, we waited for the confirmation paperwork, then contacted them directly to add Fido)

Having read previous reviews we were VERY sceptical that we had chosen wisely. BUT on arrival it was clear that the whole site had had a minor going over with a flannel, so to speak, not so much spit but more polish.

we checked in slightly early expecting to be in one of the lower caravans(note, these are quite a hike up to the shops and entertainment) BUT we were pleasantly surprised to be given an upgrade to a brick built 2 storey house sleeping six. 1DB / 2SG / + bunks

Despite being early our accommodation was ready and yep, just like one of the other reviews expecting the worst approached with air freshener and flea spray in hand.
but both were NOT needed.

Disappointment started though when we realised that the beds had not been made and there were no sheets??? 1st trip to reception and told it was because we arrived early and it would be done asap. meanwhile we'd discovered that the *PET PACK* we ordered was missing too, 5.10pm no linen, popped back to reception again told it was on it's way..... popped out for some basics(should of got a can opener too! the one there was erummm no good)

took 3 visits in person to reception before being told "you didn't book any linen, it says it's not included in the brochure".... ah ha!! "oh well that explains it except we NEVER HAD ONE, so we didn't know that, can we have some?".... "that'll be £4 each"..... I couldn't believe they didn't even trust us to pay later as I had left my money back in the house with the others.... "it all has to be paid for before we can let you have it" so 10mins later waved goodbye to £16 just to make the beds.

The "PET PACK" which on some leaflets say is *free* actually costs £20 in advance, but this I WAS told when we added Fido to our party.

ok so accommodation sorted, what about entertainment?... lets just say it's not for us!! bingo? nope... arcades? nope sorry.... swimming? oh yes kids happy... family game of bowling?.. YEAH.. oh er nope! sorry should of booked an alley at least 1 MONTH before you arrive!!... due to there only being 6 lanes and they are used by all 4 sites(as well as some of North Devon too)... turns out we were glad we didn't when we saw the price £20! and this for *on site*

sorry but "the good night inn" to us was more of a *lets get the heck out* we're not fuddies or oldies but the drinks were highly over priced, music to burst your eardrums, and well, just dull.

We can't comment on the *on site food* so far as to say we didn't use it, BUT, we did eat out at THE OLD MILL pub. It's attached to, but not on the site.
They were happy for us to take Fido onto the patio area, and despite the rain the heaters were MORE than warm enough to keep off any possible chill.
The food here was rated highly, with clean plates all round!! expect to pay on average £15pp and portions are huge!!
There is also a very good carvery out on the main road which is in walking distance, but you need to be aware that there are NO FOOTPATHS.

THINGS TO MAKE A NOTE OF:-
check their website first! they is a down-loadable PDF map of the sites.
These sites are on the side of a hill with *SOME steep slopes.
If you have mobility difficulties state this clearly BEFORE CONFIRMING and get it in writing, (most of the accommodation had steps to them)
BED LINEN IS CHARGED AT £4PP
Parking in Woolacombe is £6, use the site bus £3.50 for the entire length of your stay.

So, there you are all in all this was just what it says on the tin!! (even if it is all hidden in small print) you pay your money you make your choice, simple as.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank An_Honest_John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,675 reviews
Bideford Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts

Been to Golden Coast Holiday Village? Share your experiences!