Watersmeet Hotel(Woolacombe)
Pitchup.com
Marine House(Woolacombe)
The Beach House(Woolacombe)
2,683 results
All reviewsold millgolden coastexclusive lodgebronze villaon sitesurf simulatorwave machinehigh ropeswasher dryerbowling alleyall agesoutdoor poolclimbing wallnext yearwater walkersevening entertainmentsoft play
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We booked a 3 bedroomed Silver graded caravan for a family of four and are glad we did have the extra bedroom and not try and squash the four of us into a two bedroomed one.
Our caravan was sited on the Cleaveland part of the park and although it was a bit of a walk from the main complex we were glad of its location as it was very peaceful and pretty with some lovely views. We were also closer to the football pitch which my son was pleased about!

I have very high standards of cleanliness (some would say I have OCD) so I did take bleach and jay cloths with me, but I was pleasantly surprised by how clean the caravan was on arrival and I didn't have to clean anything before using it. The one thing I did pick up on is that the venetian blinds in the kitchen area and the bathroom were thick with dust and could do with some deep cleaning and not just a quick wipe down, but overall that is me being very picky. To be honest, I got more than I expected as every utensil we needed was provided and we were able to cook some lovely breakfasts and meals. We had a parking bay right next to the caravan and a picnic table with bbq plate too (take your own disposable bbq's). The gas fire in the caravan was more than adequate (we needed it on every day) and soon heated the van up. The 'heater' in the twin bedrooms could hardly be described as heaters though - think more of a hairdryer being blown through a vent in a cupboard! We hired the linen and found this to be clean and basic and with the use of our hot water bottles that we took with us none of us were cold during the night at all.
Surprisingly, the very narrow single beds did give us all a good nights sleep, although the pillows could do with replacing. My son described his as like sleeping on a sack of sprouts!

The public areas were clean and tidy and the new outdoor sports facilities were great. I think the prices for these were reasonable and was happy with paying £32 for the top package for six activities. Buying up front like this saves about £10 I think and my son enjoyed the excitement and thrills of what was on offer. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased to find out that the crazy golf was free - just needed to pay a deposit of £1 for the club and golf ball which was instantly refunded on return. On the odd day that we got some sunshine we were able to sunbathe by the outdoor pool and the lovely weather is what really makes a difference to this holiday park. However, in high season I don't know how the outdoor pool would cope with the number of holiday makers who wanted to use it as it's not that big.

I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful, especially the Extreme Sports guys, and my son really loved the surf instructors - they all had a great rapport with the kids and are a credit to themselves and the resort.

The evening entertainment is very much the same every night, but I find this wherever I go, even when it's abroad. It's the same songs, the same kiddy games etc until 10pm when the adult entertainment comes on stage. Some of the cabaret acts I found very good, some not.
The staff in the bar and entertainment lounge work hard in tedious circumstances...

We ate in the entertainment lounge on our first night and was surprised how expensive it was.
A pizza was £10, so instead we chose a burger meal deal. That was the one and only time we ate there - it was tasteless. We found that prices were quite high to eat out so we ended up eating more in our caravan than we expected. The curry at the Old Mill Pub was very nice and not a bad price for what you got. We also found a nice carvery pub just off site not far from the main entrance which we used as by the end of the week we were all craving a decent roast and some fresh veg! If you're going to eat out on site then budget for around £9.00 per head per adult each meal.

The bus service into Woolacombe was great and good value for money for a weeks ticket. If you book and pay for this in advance it's only £2 per person for the whole week. Going out of season we had no problem with getting on the bus when we wanted to.

This may sound daft, but this is really the sort of holiday for people who are tolerant of children!
I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to go here who didn't have children. Now my lad is getting older I am finding it harder to sit in an evening entertainment venue that has 100's of screaming toddlers running around everywhere from 6pm until 11pm who are not under any form of control from their 'grown ups'.

Overall, I think the Golden Coast has a lot to offer for children, but like everywhere in this country you need to rely on the weather to make the most of this resort. Sadly for us it rained most of our stay, which is why we usually go abroad but couldn't this year due to personal circumstances.
If I was to choose this type of holiday again I would consider going back to Golden Coast.

Room Tip: The caravans seem to have better reports on cleanliness than the lodges so choose a caravan on Cleaveland area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheReb
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

I’m glad to hear you made use the facilities on offer for our guests and enjoyed your stay, and that you had a few days of sunshine as well. We do try to offer activities for guests of all ages and we are very popular with couples outside of the school holidays. We hope to see you again in the future and will continue t invest in more facilities for you all to enjoy. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We travelled on 18th June 2012 and after a 4 1/2 hour trip from Chesterfield Derbyshire was really looking forward to checking in and getting into our room.....Well when we arrived we was met with a 20 deep que that was poaring out of the building, thankfully is wasn't raining as we were 20 mins before being served.....checking in went smoothly. We was giving number 26 pine cones, there was no parking anywhere near, we had to stop outside the door then rush to unload holding up cars behind who were unable to pass because of a single track road, I eventually found a place to park on the otherside of the park no where near our room. Now come's the good bit, the room was what only can be described as disgusting, when we opened the door we was met with the most foulest of smells like mould,dirt and ash tray smell, I have nothing against smokers as i used to be one but the room was stinking really bad. It was like walking into a 1980's bedsit, all the future was dated and scabby and not seen a cloth and cleaner for months. The cooker was filthy,brown and covered in grease, we had ants in the kitchen,graffiti on the bedroom wall, damp on the ceilings from the above accommidation, the tv was about 30 years old....it just looked to me that this company visit all the local charity shops and buy all the furniture from there.
The onsite activities are ok, we did bowling £10.60 for 1 game 2 of us, pitch and putt £5 deposit, indoor swimming, just grab a token from reception to gain access to the pool area. We didnt eat here but we did have a few drinks in the bar area, service was slow on the first night as the staff member was also waiting on tables for customers eating, he was dashing about all over the place poor fella. The tuesday night we was also in the bar area for the England/ukraine game, service was better on this night as there was more staff available....think we payed £3.35 for a pint of calsberg. To be honest the facilties are what you would expect from a famly holiday park, all the kids seemed to be having a great time, its just the rooms were a digrace, I would have sooner pitched a tent. We were booked from Mon till Fri but we left on the Weds night as didnt want to stay in the room any longer, we didnt want to complain as other guests told us there rooms were the same and cudnt imagine any other rooms being any better. Facilties 4 star, accomidation 1 star !!! If your reading this Golden coast total refurbishment required! Book with caution or not at all.

Room Tip: Book some where else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank sdennis790
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

I’m sorry to hear you were not happy with your Bronze Apartment and did not make us aware of any issues at the beginning of the holiday so we could put them right and allow you to enjoy the rest of your holiday. We do offer a range of different style and grade accommodation to meet all our guests’ needs and I’m sure if you chose to stay again we could discuss different accommodation options. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3night stay at golden coast, we booked through the Sun holidays offer and did not expect much for what we paid. We stayed in a lodge in Lundy fields and could not believe how nice the lodge was, it was modern, clean and had everything we needed. Only problem we had was the hot water and heating stopped working on last night but we called reception and someone came within ten minutes to fix it. We did not use any of the leisure facilities on site so cannot comment. Very good location, short drive to beach and Woolacombe town. We were not made aware of the bus service and parking was £5-6 per day. Had food in the Red Barn one evening in the town which was lovely and we sat by the window and had a nice view of the sun setting. Overall had a very pleasant weekend,even though it rained!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A5KH
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback I’m glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you again in the future. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

I have felt compelled to write this review after returning from golden coast as I am astounded by some of the negative reviews I have read for this fantastic place!
My wife and I along with our 2 children aged 2 & 5 spent 5 days in the gold family accommodation lodge, I have stopped in many of these types of accommodation but was very pleased when I opened the door to our lodge to find a really nice modern place with all the things you need, washing machine, dishwasher etc. Yes as other reviews have said there are a couple of things not perfect but in my opinion very minor and not worth moaning about, I thing some people are expecting the ritz!!! It's above average accommodation in very well kept areas all clean and tidy what more could you want??? Anyway onto the park..... So much to do for all the family I would be writing for hours all I can say is just go there u won't be disappointed, also if you want to head off for the beach there is a bus from the park every hour so no need for car a £4 ticket lasts your whole stay so great value ( kids under 5 go free) the old mill pub is great for food and very friendly staff so go and the pottery for the kids is great also. Ok only gripe and it is a small one and that is the 3G signal is non existent there so if you want to go online the wifi costs £15 a day which is way over priced and I refused to do so but it is apparently aonly a couple of quid at the pottery place for an hour if ur desperate. All in all though a great holiday park in a great location with great accommodation and great staff . Highly recommended. One other thing if you book to returnbefore you leave the park you get a 50% discount!!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Carls6969
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I’m glad you had a great time and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Having just returned from the Golden Coast I wanted to add my 2 penneth!

It was a great mid-week break and excellent value (during term time - because of our own business).

The facilities were amazing with a climbing wall, crazy golf, high ropes, Walter walkers, bungee trampoline and our favourite - the Surf Machine!

The EX34 instructors were great! My family were on first name terms with Darren, Ginge (Dom), Dan and the rest! Gary from the surf school is also a great instructor if you fancy a day at the beach acting like a Hawaii 5-0 extra :-)

The holiday is good value - but make sure you budget for the activities on the £1.5m refurb!! It will cost £32 for the full monty but it I well worth it!

The beach is not quite on your doorstep and the parking on the beach is expensive. However, there is a courtesy bus from the site.

The lodge was a "silver", so no dishwasher and tv in bedroom - but we knew that up front. The kids didn't like having only 4 channels on the tv but that meant they were out all the time having fun and fresh air!

The only small issue for us was the bed was hard - but you are never going to get the same bed you have at home unless you bring your own.

Overall we had a great time and will definitely be going back - seeing as I managed to stand on the surf machine first time :-)

• Stayed: June 2012
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Golden Coast. It's great to hear you enjoyed our new sports facilities and we will look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the future. Aidan Glover - General Manager