“really pleased”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woolacombe
Golden Coast Holiday Village
Reviewed November 22, 2011

we were prepared for a not to pleasant stay, after reading some bad reviews!! but would like to say! that the reviews we had read were totally unjust!!! accomodation was 3 bed silver lodge, furniture and bathroom a little tired, but otherwise couldnt fault it!! beautiful location, and for the time of year 18th-21st november, good weather!! hope to visit here again! many thanks!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank diannaBrighton
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

We were delighted to read that you really enjoyed your stay. We do think it is a great ressource for us to gain customer feedback (and act on it) but unfortunately not all reviews are totally balanced. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I had read quite a few had reviews, especially with sun holidays, which is how we booked ours for Two adults, a 4month old a 2year old and a 6year old. we have never visited devon, so decided to drive to the beach, as arrived two hours early for check in. First thing we was so impressed with was that view on the drive down to the sea front, wow!! Only problem was we arrived on a day it was wet cold and very windy, so we got a quick bite to eat, and made our way to the golden coast, sort of dredding, after the reviews, what.to expect. We was an hour early still. But we was all so cold, my husband decided to see if we could check in early and the staff was kind enough to agree. We stayed in poachers paddock, in a lodge. Like a little bungalow and it was beautiful. Modern and had everything and more that we needed. The entertainment was fab for what we needed, and all the facilities we needed on site, plus tesco a short drive away. The male group singers were ace, two of em did the kids entertainment and bingo too, which we all really enjoyed too. The kids entertainment was fab my daughter especially liked one of the ladies. And we still have to do the billy beach ball dance. me and my husband dont get to much time together due to work, and it was so nice to be together and with all the help of golden coast we got to spend a wonderful five days together and grew very attached to the lodge and woolacombe the beach was the best we ever visited. We was sad to leave. we hope we can return one day, and maybe in the summer to try that fab looking outdoor pool out.

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank mattymaz
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Golden Coast. We always try to get our guests in their accommodation as soon as they are released by our Head of Housekeeping; I’m glad to hear we were able to check you in early as the weather was so bad, and that you found you had everything you needed for a pleasant and comfortable stay.
I have passed on your positive feedback to the Entertainments team its great to hear that you and your family had such a good stay. Don’t forget to check out our new website with news of new facilities and great offers and we hope to see you again in 2012.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed in a Silver plus 4. We found it very clean and the staff very freindly. We did find that the main pool was cold and the one by the caravans was a lot warmer, you just have to remember to collect the tokens from reception before you go down to it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank martshas

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us, I’m Glad to hear you were impressed with the accommodation and the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was a second stay at Golden Coast (just the 2 of us). On our first stay we stayed in a bronze lodge but this time decided to pay a bit extra and stayed in one of the “Silver lodges” called poachers Paddock (lodge 16) and we were very happy with our accommodation. It was very spacious but cosy at the same time and all the upgraded amenities you could need. I loved this lodge because it really helped us unwind and relax. As this time we had a dog it was great that we could select an option that was dog friendly and that the complex also accommodates dogs with a specific exercise area for them. The complex has everything you would expect from a holiday park plus a bit more for example a club house with restaurant, an onsite shop, internet cafe, indoor and outdoor swimming pools. You can also walk down to the Old Mill which is a nice traditional English pub if you don’t fancy the club house or venturing into Woolacombe Bay itself (which by the way is lovely and charming.)

The only thing that spoiled our break was on the last day when we were due to leave. The checkout time says that the lodge needed to be vacated at 10am. Firstly we do feel this could be changed. Why? Myself and my partner had a 4hr car journey ahead of us upon checking out and really could of done with an extra hour to make sure we felt fresh and properly prepared for our long journey as last thing we wanted after such a relaxing break was to feel rushed and not to feel properly rested when we got home. We do appreciate that that the journey home is an inevitable part of the holiday and that this is relative to each individual traveller but considering that most Hotel’s/BB’s/ Speciality lodging’s check out times are between 11am /12 noon we do feel this is a little early especially considering when that it is not unreasonable to state that Woolacoombe is in a rather remote area of the UK for many people who travel there from quite a far distance away having been made aware of the resort through reading the adverts in the Sun newspaper.

Having been in swing of the resorts very relaxing atmosphere we happened to get up a little late on our last day but were getting ready to leave. I was taking shower and at around 10.05 am there was a bang on the door. I did not get to the door in time so it may have been a cleaner who wanted to get in. I phoned reception and explained to them that we were leaving and asked them to grant us with a little bit of grace as we were a little bit late getting away to which they replied “no problem.” At 10.40 am as we were gathering our things to leave there was another bang on the door and I opened it to find one of the resorts representatives with a very disgruntled look upon her face. She was very on the front foot regarding us being late in leaving and then proceeded to remind us of the check out times because she needed to make sure lodge was vacated for the cleaners. There was no introduction or “hello how are you? “Or “Hello how has your stay been? Are you checking out with us today?”This would have been a more polite way to hint that maybe it was time to go, instead I felt as if I was being given a telling off for being a naughty boy by a female bouncer. This did not go down to well with me and admittedly I was not too polite with my response either. Maybe I took her completely the wrong way but I was slightly annoyed by then about having been pestered twice in the space of half an hour.

If you want to be robotic about this issue then of course we would expect the management to respond by saying “That it was in our terms and conditions to leave by 10am when you booked.” We also appreciate that if everyone left late then that it would put pressure on the cleaners to be able to complete their duties by 4pm so that the lodges are ready for the arrival of new guests however a little bit of grace and common sense would have been appreciated for good paying customers like ourselves. Other organisations in the UK and abroad (some with many more rooms to clean than Golden Coast) seem to be able cope with a later check out time without badgering their guests to leave and even if they happen the run over the later check out time. It is worth mentioning that we were staying in early November and the complex was hardly overbooked, half term or in peak season! The members of staff who are responsible for dealing with check out should be better trained on how to deal with customers on this issue. We did phone reception and explain our situation and so this could have all been avoided if this had been communicated to the relevant members of staff. I gave my comments to the duty manager upon leaving who was at least apologetic and said action would be taken to sort the problem in future however I have seen that the main centre manger replies to the reviews on trip advisor and so decided to post one myself.

I was tempted to give the review 2 or 3 stars because of this incident but have given Golden Coast the benefit of the doubt and rated it 4 because overall we had a great stay. I would definitely return to Golden Coast and recommend it to others but would ask the management to consider our comments regarding this issue.

Room Tip: Silver Lodge was of a good standard and Ideal for a party of 4 people. It had 2 bedrooms, one with a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank vincemansi

Thank for your taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent holiday I’m glad to hear you were pleased with your choice of accommodation. It’s nice to hear you enjoyed our park facilities including our doggy walk and on site pub.
Sorry to hear you felt rushed on departure day, I understand you were aware that check out is 10:00am but phoned reception to say you were running a little late. It appears there was a lack of communication between our reception and housekeeping team and one of our housekeeping team knocked again. We do request that customers check out by 10:00am as it gives our team time to clean and check the accommodations before new guests arrive and we do try to stick to this to make it fair for everyone rather than one rule for one and one rule for another but on this occasion I apologise if you felt harassed normally a phone call to reception is sufficient to let us know you are running late and you would not be bothered.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed in a luxury lodge which contained everything you could possibly need - 3 good size rooms, 2 bathrooms and good size kitchen and lounge fully equipped with a dishwasher, washer/dryer, flat screen TV and DVD player. The complimentary pack on arrival was more than we could have asked for (Wine, tea, coffee, salt, pepper, washing up liquid, bread, cereal, oil, still water, sugar, toilet rolls, bacon, sausages, eggs, marg, orange juice and milk) The only thing we didnt have was a tea towel but cant really grumble too much at that as most stuff went in the dishwasher.
The camp itself caters for camping, caravans and lodges, pets are also welcome. There is a huge amount to do on the park, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, bowling alley, cermaics shop, playground and probably more that we didnt find. In our party there were 3 children aged 5-7 and it wouldnt have been the great holiday it was without the fantastic entertainments team. The mad hatters tea party, the even more amazing pantomine plus many other events and then of course the mini disco.
The double decker bus to the beach was a bargain. £4 per person for the whole stay and you could travel as often as you like. The beach is amazingly clean and has many facilities. The adventure playground is also great for the kids and not overpriced.
All of the staff at the Golden Coast were very friendly and could not do enough to help with any requirement that we may have had. I would receommend this holiday to anyone.

Room Tip: Luxury Lodge
4  Thank Gemma D

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent holiday with us. I’m glad you liked your exclusive lodge and found you had everything you needed throughout your stay.
I have passed on your praise to the entertainments team, who are currently busy preparing next seasons entertainment programme for you all.

Don’t forget to check out our new website to see what we have on offer for 2012 and we will look forward to welcoming you all again soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

This was the 4th year in a row that we have stayed here for Halloween, and this year was busier than ever. Each time have booked via a national newspapers holiday promotion and then upgraded to a 3 bed lodge, so cannot comment on any other accommodation offered but safe to say that 3 of the 4 years booked that the lodges have all been in excellent order. Clean and ready sometimes before the 4pm check in time. The provided linen has all been clean and fresh smelling. Facilities on this park are good and include 8 lane bowling alley, swimming pools (outdoor seasonal only), arcade, old mill pub onsite, sports bar showing all the live football, cinema, ball pit and 3 level soft play area (really busy at bingo times though!), rock climbing wall, well stocked mini market, waves ceramic studio (good fun pot painting, but not cheap) and a full themed entertainment programme is offered, as well as cabaret or a show every evening. The reception and staff have always been friendly and helpful. The only reason a 4 star rating has been left and not a 5 star is unfortunately down to the animation team this year. During the Treat or Treat morning, which we were told the children would go trick or treating (which never happened but has in the past), the younger children (5 to 10 yr olds) were not given the time of day by the woman who was running it. She just raced on with the older ones (teens) and by the time the smaller ones had caught up all of the clues on the trail had been solved, leaving them, and my 5 yr old, feeling left out. My wife did speak to her about it but with no success i'm afraid. I also had to explain somehow that the trick or treat part of it that she loves to do was not going to happen. This put a bit of a dampener on the weekend and I see that the General Manager reads these reviews so hope you take it in. I must add that the 2 men involved with the entertainment were spot on though. This year the fireworks were a nice surprise.

All in all, if you are thinking of or indeed have booked here then you have made a pretty good choice, as you can spend silly amounts of money on so-called 'big-named' holidays and get half as much as you would here.

Room Tip: Pets allowed in certain accommodation only. The lodges are worth the upgrade.
3  Thank the_driver_6660
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at the Golden Coast. I’m glad to read you have enjoyed Halloween with us for the past four years. It is proving to be a very popular break and we are planning to extend the Halloween celebrations over the whole Octover half term week in 2012. I was sorry to hear you felt your little ones were struggling to keep up in the TREAT or TREAT TRAIL, we like to offer this event for all ages as families with different age children would find it difficult to participate if the age groups were split down as they may have no one to look after the children when they were not taking part in the event but I will pass your comments on to the entertainment team. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the fireworks and the Park's many facilities and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Aidan Glover - General Manager.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Hi I have stayed at the golden coast since i was 9 and i am now 38, granted there was a twenty year gap, however as someone who came as a 9 year old till 18, then again from 36 till present day, i think i can give you an honest opinion of this site.

The golden coast has changed since i was 18 some things for the good some for the bad, my main comment would be apart from adding a few chairs in the main entertainment room in the club house and a few metal railing the room is fundamentally the same, back in the 90's this room was adequately sized and a had a good house band. Now a days its way too small and needs extending as you feel you are sitting on someones knee the tables are so cramped together, and you do get nudged constantly by children trying to run around??? (this is the parents fault not the camps). The pool area in the main club house really hasnt changed much in 30 years, but now it gets very crowded in bad weather and would benefit from staff being present as the kids today show no respect and jump over you and although signs say no diving they do, so please put in a staff member to police these areas in busy times.

The accommodation has changed also in 30 years, the apartments were old back then too and look pretty much the same, but 30 years ago it was one of only a few accommodation it was either an apartment a static caravan or your own tent /caravan, the camp was much smaller and felt more family run back then, Now its very commerical and has lost a little bit of its charm,.

However this is still a lovely site, with nice accommodation, since returning 30 years later i have stayed in a silver lodge and yeah the tv was old but your on holiday why watch tv really get out and about stop moaning about a tv, the silver lodge we stayed in was fine, very clean, and comfortable, great shower and had plenty of room for the 3 of us, it was a little dated but no problems really we were in number 34 and couldnt complain and the washer dryer was great to have.

Our last two visits were in the exclusive caravan accommodation, we had en suite toilet and walk in wardrobe, and 30 tv channels for thoughts who want more tv, it has dvd player, is lovely accommotion and is cheaper too than a lodge, the other lovely thing on the golden coast about this accommodation its near the old mill pub its a quieter location and you have your own parking space so well worth the money. oh and you get free starter pack of food too and bbq so cant complain.

My only real critism of this place over thirty years and has always been the same issue is that the bus stops running very early about 5.30pm, i understand in autumn and winter to do this but in spring and summer run it later whilst its light some of us wish to stay later in woolacombe or even visit another camp for a meal. Its expensive to get a taxi back from the town is nearly £10 and even between camps its not much cheaper and you can wait ages of a taxi our longest wait two hours, so please run your bus later??

So all in all my thirty years i would sum it up as I keep coming back as its a lovely place to come, i came as a child and now bring my own, as i want him to see the same magic in this place that i did all them years ago, and for a kid from the computer generation, he keeps wanting us to come back next year, so the golden coast is still doing something right even after all these years,

so to sum it up we love exclusive accommodation, you do get what you pay for at the end of the day if you pay pennies expect basic if you pay pounds expect luxury, all in all its still a great holiday place and still has some charms that bring me back.

keep up the good work and see you in 2012,

Room Tip: Pick exclusive accommodation its brilliant
4  Thank sharpaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
#6 of 7 in Combe Martin

Been to Golden Coast Holiday Village? Share your experiences!