“Great food, great beer and great locals”
Review of The Fortescue Arms

The Fortescue Arms
and 1 more site!
The Fortescue Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Woolacombe
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights last weekend and had a great time. Rob and Eddie really looked after me and the locals at the bar are a hoot. The carvery's a snip if your hungry-I particularly like the leeks, yummy.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Fortescue Arms

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife, myself and 2 daughters stayed here for a long week-end for a wedding. Received a great reception and really enjoyed our time there. The rooms were clean and comfortable, breakfast was smashing, the carvery and choices from the extensive menus were excellent. Catered well for a vegetarian and a vegan into the bargain. The bar had a decent selection of local beers as well as more well known lagers/ beers.

The venue had a very large dining room which was transformed into a fitting venue for a wedding reception for approx 70 attending. Again the team at the Fortescue Arms done a fine job of making this event a success. No reason to think the venue wouldn't be suitable for any type of party/ event.

Would definitely recommend and would be happy to return here when in North Devon.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Went here Sunday evening for the carvery,it was quite busy which was a good sign,the staff was friendly,the meal was great,no complaints at all from all four of us.would certainly eat here again.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I don't know where to start.The food was overpriced and extremely poor quality. My curry looked like a dogs dinner and I couldn't even identify the meat. The rest of my family's meals were pale and tasteless.To make matters worse, the beer was flat,the bar tender very grumpy and although we were refunded the price of the curry, I still can't believe we paid for the rest. Particularly as that night, my husband was up all night being ill. If it had been very cheap, we would have expected that the food might have been basic, but the meals were averagely priced but of a very low standard.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sheffieldmummy
Reviewed August 26, 2011

my husband and I went for B & B last night, fantastic service, staff friendly food the best, bedrooms are fine and we had clean towels, tea coffee etc could find no fault, waitress may be young but were all smiling and friendly, we will be returning

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Having stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world, this is the first review I have ever written.. my family and I (5 of us plus dog) , stayed for two long weekends and were made v welcome by the owner (Robert), and all his staff. Room was large and v clean. The room service was incredible, even my kids toys were tidied and caringly placed on their beds.

The carvery restaurant offers a good choice and if you are patient enough to wait 30 minutes the fish dishes are divine (this isnt Mcdonalds so be patient).

Our dog was welcomed and I would thoroughly recommend this place for a short or long term stay if surfing is your thing, or just visiting the beautiful north Devon coast.

We will be returning.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank rmch1965
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed a few times never been disapointed, the staff and locals are very friendly-always a warm welcome. The rooms are always very clean, plenty of fresh towels and tea and coffee making facilities, TV with built in DVD. The accomodation being above the bar and restaurant is a welcome bonus for my family - a pool room for the kids and sport on the tv in the bar area for the adults, then the food - well it is up there with the best, eiher the fabulous carvery or off the menu the only trouble is deciding what to have, everything is cooked fresh not buz ding (microwaved frozen food) like a lot of other pubs nowadays, it can be quite busy for food but they still deliver and the breakfast is just what you need before spending the day on the beach. Excellent value for our family of four. Going back soon with the in laws.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank shaneo64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel
Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel
Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel
#3 of 20 in Ilfracombe

Been to The Fortescue Arms? Share your experiences!