“Short midweek break”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Woolacombe
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Have just come back from a three night stay at the Royal. Our room was very comfortable, clean and warm, having been up-dated since my last stay. The food was plentiful with 3 or 4 choices of meals to choose from each night. The swimming pool was busy and I could see why as it is excellent. A separate properly sprung floored ballroom makes this hotel unique for dance groups or private parties.

If you are looking for something very affordable in a beautiful part of North Devon then the Royal is definitely worth a try.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WiltshireBracken
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I took my 2 girls for a short get away break. We had a family room which had a double and a single. The room was huge, and very clean, we liked the comfortable and homely feel about the place and as it's a no smoking (anywhere) it smelt fresh. The breakfast is buffet style, full english, fruit in the form of prunes or grapefruit (tinned), orange or grapefruit juice and unlimted tea and coffee. A selection of cereals also available along with brown or white toast with a selection of jam or marmalade, self service so youcan eat as much as you like. We booked evening meal at £12 for adults and £6 for kids, 3 courses and unlimited tea and coffee,disappointing as everything was clearly frozen, veg, roasters, puddings etc, well done but easily identified as frozen. All the staff we very freindly and nothing was too much trouble, the hotel itself was a little dated and in need of some repair in places but perfectly servicable. The hotel swimming pool was an added bonus as my kids love swimming. I would recommend this hotel for a short out of season break and will definatly use it agai..

Room Tip: We stayed in room 100 we paid for a balcony with a view which would be nice in summer but not really...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jjandall
Reviewed February 10, 2013

having just stopped at this hotel again , I find it rather odd people say it is a cold hotel, have they thought of turning the radiators in their rooms up? They are individually controlled.
The staff at this hotel are very friendly and hard working, they are very happy to oblidge customers where possible.
The food is great and plentiful and the kitchen has a five star hygiene rating.
The pool was very clean and warm and there is plenty to entertain a family if the weather is bad. The evening entertainment was also excellent! the dance floors are very good, we had a great weekend and the price is phenomenally cheap.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, like me, just let them know when you book.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vicki A
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We visited this hotel in December last year and was really looking forward to it. The staff were friendly (especially in the restaurant) and the entertainment on the one night was very good. The food was basic but very tasty and we had no problem with what was offered. However, this hotel caters more for the coach trips and NOT the individual traveller. We booked a sea view Room 108 (big mistake) as it was a very cold room (pine end). The room was single glazed and the weather was very windy so we had lots of draughts in this room. Also the hotel switches off the heating after the coaches have departed for their daily trips and would not turn it on until the evening (when the coaches returned). I requested the heating to be put on but was told (by an unhelpful receptionist) this this could not be done before the set time so my husband and myself had to sit in our rooms with our coats on. Only when we left the next day and I complained to the hotel by phone that I had a chest infection and needed heating was I informed that I could have had an independent heater for my room. The Manager would not even speak to me on the phone!

Room Tip: If you are a single traveller and go in the winter, request a heater otherwise you will find that th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hilda W
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went to this hotel last January and it was awful!
The food was disgusting and we had to leave after the second night as there were massive gaps around the window and we spend both nights shivering!
The pool was brown and smelly the only good thing was the bar and the friendly bar man!
we booked this hotel despite the reviews but wish we didn't!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emj2
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My fiance and I decided on a last minute get away for new years eve. Woolacombe is our place and we love it, we looked into this hotel and it was brilliant. The price for a room for both of us with entertainment was awesome, the staff were very friendly and we felt very welcome right through our stay. We loved the room, paying that little extra for the balcony was definatly worth it, the room was a little old but we loved it!!!
Definatly recommend anyone to stay here, we are big surfers so will be going back there again for sure.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony and a room facing the valley/bay for a good morning view of Woolacombe.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank girlracer11
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for my boyfriend. Was very basic but clean and tidy which are important. We had no hot water but we reported this to reception and it was sorted straight away. Ideal for a night away

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank sarahdarabbit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
The Fortescue Arms
#3 of 4 in Woolacombe
Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!