“Great ride out, but staff abrupt”

Woolacombe Riding Stables
Ranked #8 of 16 things to do in Woolacombe
Rochdale, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great ride out, but staff abrupt”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I would firstly like to say that the ride out was well managed and care was taken to get all participants on a suitable horse. Despite the ramshackle yard appearances, all the horses appeared well cared for and contented, with well fitting equipment and were all safe with the little bit of road work we had to do. However, I do agree with earlier comments, as I do think that max 30 seconds on an unfamilliar horse to assess suitability was a bit unfair. The staff allowed about 15 minutes to sort out 10 people on to a suitable mount, and some people had up to three changes. They were professional and concerned about safety and procedure out on the ride, but seemed rushed and a bit frought on the yard, and I personally felt by the way I was spoken to, as though they didn't believe what I was saying about my level of compentence. In addition, most of the beach ride horses were kitted out in quite strong bridles such as gags and continental gags, so be prepared for a forward going ride.

1 Thank Sheepdog86

Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Poor and abrupt attitude”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked my two children in for a one hour session.Both children have had lessons one in particular has been riding for 4 years.Both were assessed apparently within 30 seconds and again informed they would need to participate in a hallf hour assessment or lesson within the school. This consisted of walking around for 30 minutes and a trot for no more than a quarter of the school menage arena. After this they joined another group who all where led by leaders.On returning to the school the girls informed us they all walked in file and at no time were offered a trot of canter.After complaining I found the excuse from the manager very condersending she informed me my daughter was panic stricken and was hanging on to the sadall for dear life.My daughter regulary trots canters and jumps fences at a reputable horse riding school.I was informed who owners where and abruptly offered my money back which I duly accepted, I would strongly recommend any budding pony treckers out there who are considering using this school to check ouf the nearest beach and see if donkey rides are available.

7 Thank John P
Woolacombe, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Going by my experience, I’m a bit surprised by the reviews here.
When I went to the stables with my family (we are beginners at horse riding),
The horse I was given was a bit agitated and probably was not suitable for a beginner, and wouldn’t always do what I wanted it to do, and the instructor was a bit abrupt with me, saying I was confusing the horse, when all I was doing was what she taught me. Her attitude was not good.
Also, one of the stable hands (a young girl who was walking and leading us along outside on a ride) had a face like thunder, she just kept moaning that she was tired and hungry. We didn’t feel welcome at all, in fact we felt like we were just a nuisance to them. At the end of the session they just disappeared without saying anything.
I felt a bit angry to be honest. Customer service skills were lacking. We definitely wouldn’t go back there again.

8 Thank disappointed868
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Kids heaven”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just outside the town this is a great place to go for a change from the beach good for learners and experienced riders alike good value and friendly staff

Visited July 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“superb”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My two children wanted to go so I took them and spoke to them and they managed to get them in there and then,the kids loved it and we will be going there on our next trip to woolacombe.
Staff were very professional and friendly.

Visited July 2013