“Enjoyed Woolacombe Bay! Bad customer service”
Review of Europa Park

Europa Park
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We really enjoyed our bank holiday weekend camping trip at the Europa. The location and views were great and the facilities not bad. However, it must be noted that the park is very much aimed at a young age group - so there can be some noise on site. We did expect this and didn't have any problems when we stayed, but could see how the site would not appeal to families etc.

Overall we really enjoyed ourselves, however one complaint as others here seem to have noted is that the customer service here was really, really poor and staff seemed very unorganised. To summarise bad points:

1) Having to pay a cash deposit of £110! (£10 each) on arrival, which we weren't told about when booking. Two sections of our group enquired about prices, booked and paid separately over the phone in advance and neither party was told this. Can come as quite a shock when you arrive to find you are required to pay this money in cash!

Equally we enquired about why such a large deposit was required (as we were camping) and our reply was 'you could burn the grass'...? I advised that this really should have been stated over the phone when booking, the reply '...well it was on your confirmation email'.

2) Some of our party had arrived before us and had already checked in onto the site.
When checking in they originally told they couldn't find our booking and simply sent us away. When we fetched confirmation from the car our booking was then found and we were told to pay full price of parking and deposit for whole group. When we said our friends were already on site and had paid for parking etc. we were told that 'this was not possible'.

When it was found that yes they were already on site and had paid, the staff behind the counter seemed more concerned in arguing with one another over why some of our group had been checked in than assisting us (wasn't particularly professional). They then couldn't find our car registrations that had been emailed as requested in advance to them. Was just a bit of a shambles really!

3) More than one of the barrier key cards were wrongly coded for 1 nights stay when we were staying for 3. Caused quite a few problems/cars backed up when trying to get out of the park! Staff response when we had to rush into reception to get let out and alleviate a queue brewing behind our cars 'ow, that was probably so and so...'. Again, not so great customer service...

We did enjoy our stay at Woolacombe, so I don't want to put people off staying here if you are looking for a cheap and cheerful trip, however it has to be noted that the organisation and customer service from the staff was really poor and it should be taken note of.

Room Tip: Just expect what you pay for and you'll be fine!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karena-macarena
EuropaWoolacombe, Manager at Europa Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, all customer feedback is important to us and we appreciate your opinion.

Firstly I am very happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and am glad that the noise levels over the bank holiday were not disruptive for you. We had a great weekend too and we were extremely lucky with the weather. I am however very saddened to hear that you were not impressed with our customer service upon arrival, I just hope that throughout the rest of your stay you were happy with our staff as you have only pointed fault with check in.

It is not acceptable for such disorganisation on our part and for that I am very sorry. I am in no way justifying the level of service you received upon arrival but I would like to take this opportunity try and defend our staff, as I am sure you can appreciate it was bank holiday weekend which means it was extremely busy for us, and with it not being the peak season yet we do not have as many staff as we would have liked, which can cause pressure for the staff we do have. A few of the staff we have now are new and are still learning the rules and procedures put in place for the check in process, but again this not excuse the mistakes made upon arrival and I just hope that the rest of your stay made up for this.

With regards to the cash deposit, this is taken off of all groups of 4 or more people for camping, and everyone staying in accommodation, this is a good behaviour bond and is something we need to enforce to ensure good behaviour so that we can continue taking groups like yourselves without causing ourselves problems. You most definitely should have been told this upon booking, and at this point I can only apologise if this information was not relayed to you, but as a member of staff pointed out it is very clear on the confirmation email which is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with before arrival. I can only assume this email was read as you followed the instruction on it to send over an email with your parties details on.

With respect to the failure of finding your details that had been emailed over that is completely my fault and I am sincerely very sorry. I personally answer all emails from home and the amount of check in emails that came through that day was a lot to say the least, I tried to get as many as I could done but I also had other work related things to do. Again I am very sorry.

Once more I would like to thank you for your review; your comments have been very helpful and will be taken on board for future reference. Should you wish to come and stay with us again then I would like to offer you a 10%on your next stay. If you wish to accept this offer then please email me at vicki@europapark.co.uk.

Thank you so much for coming last weekend, we all had a fantastic time.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Europa Park

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Had a 4 night stay in one of the 9 berth surf cabins with my husband, 2 small children and dog. All I can say is we had a fantastic time. The accommodation was excellent, very clean and tidy, everything you would expect from a surfer dude cabin but also worked for a small family.
The grounds were clean and maintained nicely, the staff were also hard working and helpful. Would definitely stay there again out of season.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
EuropaWoolacombe, Assistant manager at Europa Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our campsite suitable for you and your family. We very much hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Cabin very basic as expected. We were just lucky enough to have I think just 3 other groups on site over the 2 nights, so very quiet with loads of room to ourselves! Gorgeous views! Lovely to sit out on the deck watching the sun set with a BBQ. Shower and toilets block are basic as can be, only 1 shower cubical in the mens had a door and a lock (which didnt work), the rest were just curtains, and the only place to leave your clothes were outside the cubical. Cabin had good sized fridge, but electricity has timers, obviously to keep costs down, but meant in the night the heater would turn off so you would then wake up constantly freezing cold. Mattresses were also the worst mattresses I have ever lay on, just horrible plastic. We only stayed 2 nights so we weren't too bothered, but didn't hang around on our last morning, got packed and got out! Only thing great about the place is the views! The rest is average and only really suitable for people just wanting a roof over their heads. Oh, and to finish, when i was booking with them, i sent 2 or 3 emails to them, none of which were replied to! Only booked in the end because I had to get it done!

Room Tip: Choose accommodation with their own showers and toilets!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason B

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the fantastic views we benefit from with our campsite, we are extremely lucky to be in the position we are. I am however saddened to hear your opinion on our showers and toilets, we have over 40 showers and toilets on site and not all are the same as the ones you described. Most of our toilets and showers are individual rooms; I feel that these ones would have been more appropriate for you.
With regards to the ‘boost’ button for electric, I understand that this can be frustrating for you throughout the night but in order to keep costs of our accommodation down we do need these installed in each of the cabins. As I am sure you can appreciate electric heaters are extremely expensive to run and unfortunately due to the size of the smaller cabins gas fires would not be suitable.
I can only apologise if none of your emails were responded to, we have had issues with the emails but we have now overcome this and I personally respond to each email.
Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

just come back from the europa park and we have to say that the chalet we stayed in was not up to scratch.First of all the din ing table was badly broken not ideal if we had small children quite dangerous in fact ie falling to pieces.A chair was falling apart as well.The cushion on the bed settee was ripped and last but not least no plug for the kitchen sink so wasted a lot of water trying to wash up.I did go to reception and was told that the maintance man would come to look at it but he didnt appear so obviously he either wasnt told or forgot.The drinks in the bar were very expensive so only went there once.All in all the chalet really does need some TLC and we wont be going again to stay there again.

Room Tip: make sure you take sheets pillow cases
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that our campsite did not meet your needs.

You booked your holiday through the mirrors £9 holiday deals, these are ‘no frills’ holidays, their website clearly states that you should check our website to ensure the campsite it for you, we are well documented as an 18-30’s party campsite and as I am sure you can appreciate for this reason our accommodation is purposely not to the standard you would expect in a hotel room, which reflects in our prices. This does however excuse the few issues you encountered and for this we are sorry. Although we would have liked the opportunity to amend the issues you experienced whilst you were here I would also like to thank you for bringing them to our attention now so that our other customers won’t experience the same problems. I have been down to the chalet and you are correct about the table, it was slightly wobbly so I have now had that removed and replaced. I have also removed the sofa cushion with the tear in it and had a wash bowl put in the sink as a plug could not be found.

I can assure you the prices of our drinks are in line with all the other bars in the area, and we are a lot cheaper during our happy hour when drinks are buy one get one free, plus we also run lots of other drinks promotions.

Again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here with us, and thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Great Lads weekend away. All of the staff super friendly, helpful and patient with our group. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Lodges were perfect for our requirements other than needing another heater due to the weather. I have been before and when it comes to value for money, you'll have to go a long way to beat it! Comfy beds, great steaks, good beer & all you can eat breakfast. What more could you want?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear you enojoyed your stay and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Myself and a few of my friends stayed at Europa for a weekend back in September and we had a great time - would definitely recommend it to anyone who want to go for a few fun days away.

The campsite itself doesn't have loads for you to do but we didn't need much so it suited us fine. We used the clubhouse every night as the drinks were cheap in comparison to the village. We took full advantage of their two for one on all drinks offer too. We also used the clubhouse for breakfast in the morning - literally one of the best breakfasts I have ever had!! They has everything and it was all unlimited!!

There was 6 of us in total and we had a 9 berth cabin, it was a little snug but at the end of the day it was just a place to sleep. We had a shower and toilet in there too so we didn't have to walk anywhere for these type of facilities. The cabin had beds, tv, decking, toilet, shower, kettle (no cups?) and a fridge. They don't supply toilet roll either so you need to remember that!! Although they do have a spar shop on site that supplies pretty much everything you will need.

The village is about 20 mins walk down...and 30 back up!! (steep hill) there's a few nice shops and pubs down there, an arcade, mini golf etc so was quite nice to visit. The beach is fantastic!!

Everyone we met seemed to be having a great time and all the staff were friendly and helpful. Vicki was a particular favourite of mine!! Nothing was too much to ask for with her.

Overall we enjoyed our weekend and will be coming Back soon!!

• Stayed: September 2012
EuropaWoolacombe, Assistant manager at Europa Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us and that our campsite suited all your needs. We look forward to seeing you again :)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked this place during the week because we were all desperate for a holiday and this place was the cheapest. We are a family and we don’t get a chance to holiday very often as myself and my partner work full time, we really felt like us and the kids needed a few days away together. Then I read the reviews and the idea of family time faded. Even the management state it’s not particularly for families in the review responses. When we go there I expressed how unsure I was about staying because of the noise levels and they instantly offered me to stay on their sister campsite if I was that worried about it, we decided to at least try and stay one night at Europa to see how it was and because all the facilities were there (the other campsite was up the road a bit). I was very pleasantly surprised to find that we all slept fine; there were no drunken teens and no loud music. I found the toilets to be clean every time I used them or took my kids to them, the groundsman was very friendly, the kids were welcome in the clubhouse, there was a small pool, games room etc which kept them busy when it was raining. We spent most of the days out and about exploring the area and it turned out to be one of the best mid-week breaks we’ve ever had. We checked out on the Friday and we could see there were a few groups arriving, so I reckon we were leaving at the right time! Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alice S
EuropaWoolacombe, assistant manager at Europa Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely review, i am very happy to hear that you found our site suitable for you and your family and i am expecially happy to hear how much of a great time you had. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Europa Park? Share your experiences!