“GOOD VALUE”

Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We saw this on travelzoo. Two couples with blokes who wanted to play golf. Offer was overnight stay with breakfast and table d'hote menu. Hotel looked nice on arrival and check in staff excellent. Room ready early and very clean, small room even though we did upgrade but adequate. Golf course was very good (according to men) staff good. Had lunch at the Terrace restaurant, excellent, sat outside overlooking the lake and the course, really lovely. Had cocktail before dinner and even though there was a menu the guy at the bar didn't have a clue, had to be helped out by the manager who was excellent. Went to dinner in the Atrium restaurant, menu given to us with choice of 3 starter, mains and puds. Asked if we could have al la carte, which we could but extra charge which was fine but it seemed a bit of a problem. There were 3 other tables, atmosphere was dire, dreadful music playing and no ambience at all. Waiter was very young and whilst willing simply had no training, we had to ask to order 3 times. The starters were fine, the main course was starter size and the filet steak was about a 3oz steak, glad we ordered side dishes. A tip would be to eat in the Terrace restaurant, not such a good choice on the face of it but much nicer with a bit of life and freshly cooked with waiters on the ball. My pud arrived and the ball of ice cream plopped in my lap, waiter went red but I had to plop it quickly back on my plate. The breakfast staff, Atrium again, were totally disinterested, poor selection on the buffet with dried up croissants and pastries, go to the Terrace for brekkie selection. Spa was decent enough and even did a couple of classes that you must book before you go. Great central position to get to places so a good base. The guy in the Terrace restaurant (may be manager or should be) with a beard was excellent, seemed to be everywhere and tried to hard to please. Amazing value but need to change that Atrium arrangement.

Room Tip: Second floor golf course view, upgrade its only iro £10.
There are newer reviews for Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business last week and had a great stay, top class fitness suite and great food. Newly refurbished Terrace bar is superb if you want more traditional home cooked food. Reception were most helpful, and restaurant staff happy to assist me finding the local caught fish and chips at the Terrace bar, as the main bar menu is a limited. Highly recommend. Well done Mr Mansell !

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2014

six of the girls decided on boxing day that it would be nice to take a bit of timeout a couple months down the line..we found the complex doing a special offer online...£50 for an overnight stay,use of the pool,sauna & jacuzzi & with evening meal & full breakfast included....we booked this and then individually chose any treatments we fancied having in the 'Bodyzone' salon. This proved to be the highlight of our stay...the girls doing the treatments were very professional, but also very friendly aswell..we had a collection of treatments between the six of us & I think I can speak for all of the girls & say that we all came away very chilled & refreshed..to such an extent that several of us said we would do two nights next time. thank you for a lovely chilled out experience x

Room Tip: we had twin rooms which were plenty big enough for us..we did have a lounge with one of our rooms wh...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Woodbury Park Hotel. We used the gym and the swimming pool and were impressed with both. The pool was very clean and there were ample sun loungers for relaxing and enjoying the great views. My hubby also enjoyed a session on the golf driving range. The pro shop could not have been more helpful lending him a few clubs and charging just a nominal amount as a non member to use the driving range. There were also tennis courts, a golf course and a football pitch on offer. I appreciated the lovely setting with the great views and felt relaxed the whole time we were there. It was great to look out of our room and see the golf course and trees and here nothing but the birds singing first thing in the morning. Our room was fine and very clean. A safe and a fridge would have been useful. Would have appreciated more tea bags (and some herbal teas) as kept having to ask for extra and some milk. The bathroom was good with a very powerful shower. We really enjoyed our evening meal. The food was fantastic and we would happily eat there again. Breakfast was fine but not overly imaginative. A few suggestions to include would be - wider selection of breads, some local cheeses, home made mueslis, a bowl of summer berries. Would happily stay there again, it's a lovely part of the world to visit.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed for one night. My first room didn't have heating that worked. When I tried to contact the reception there was a period of about 30 minutes when no-one answered the phone. When the call was answered the issue was resolved very quickly and I moved to a larger room with a balcony (and heating) and a great view. The hotel was very clean although the Wi-Fi was slow and sometimes dropped out. I had one evening meal and breakfast both of which were excellent. Staff were courteous, welcoming and friendly. I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed here for one night on business. I was greeted by friendly and efficient staff. My double room was clean, spacious, comfortable and well-equipped. I enjoyed good rural views and the hotel was quiet and peaceful. This meant that I had a really good night's sleep. I used room service for my evening meal and for breakfast. Service was prompt and efficient. The quality of the evening meal food was acceptable but not spectacular. Breakfast was above average. The bathroom was a good size and benefited from a powerful shower. Wifi was included in the cost but cut out occasionally. The leisure facilities were comprehensive and of a high standard. I can certainly recommend this hotel and very much welcomed the proactive way in which the hotel actively sought feedback on its standards and performance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We booked a Travelzoo two day break at this hotel to celebrate my partner's birthday. We paid extra for an upgrade to an Executive Room. We arrived on a pouring wet Sunday afternoon and unfortuntely my partner had left the Travelzoo voucher at home. However we assumed that there would be some provision in place for this eventuality and that it would be quickly sorted out by the hotel.

Instead it took best part of one hour, while we stood around in our wet clothes with all our luggage, while the receptionist fiddled about trying to get onto the hotel wi-fi to chase the voucher.. My partner showed her the booking on his laptop but this didn't make any difference at all. At no point did she apologise for the delay. Eventually another receptionist suggested that we should be shown to our room while they sorted it out. When we got to our room my partner attempted to get onto the Travelzoo website to download the duplicate voucher, but then realised that the hotel wi-fi had not been working. Eventually another receptionist managed to get it up and running.

The room was certainly not what one would call "executive", the saving grace was that it had a nice view. The evening meal was taken in the vast Antrim area in the centre of the building. There were only three other diners and the lighting was so bad that we couldn't see what we were eating. Probably just as well because the meal was awful - the menu, which was described as "Truly Devon", was odd - who on earth has heard of "Christmas Pudding Fritters"?

Breakfast next day was just as bad. Once again taken in the Antrim, which was completely lacking atmosphere. A few bits of net were draped across the very high ceiling possibly in an attempt to soften the decor. Radio Two was blaring out, which seemed to be an odd choice in a restaurant. The only waitress who appeared to be on duty was not around to show us to a table or greet us. My poached egg was overcooked, the toaster didn't work properly, my partner's baked beans were congealed and the coffee was dreadful.

After all this my partner decided that he didn't want to spend the rest of his birthday there and we decided to pay for the first night and the meal by credit card and leave. To the credit of Travelzoo they have been most helpful and have now refunded our voucher.

We felt that there was no obviously managerial presence in this hotel. It is in such a lovely setting, but for a four star hotel, it was seriously lacking. I am happy to say that we immediately checked into another hotel in the area where we were more than satisfied.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbury Salterton
#17 of 31 in Exeter
Lympstone Manor
Lympstone Manor
#1 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!