“Nice place but few improvements needed for the price/rating”

Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here - picked it this time for its location as we wanted a night away without a massive drive.

It is very well located and the facilities are great - we used the pool, jacuzzi and gym all of which were very modern and good choice of equipment in the gym. Staff in leisure centre were very nice and knowledgable.

We had a superior room with balcony overlooking the course which was nice. The bed I think could have done with being king sized for the size of room and it wasnt the most comfy hotel bed have ever slept in.

Shower and bathroom were both great with nice toiletries.

Breakfast was not great - I am not a fan of breakfast buffets and this was what you would expect sadly! OK food but really nothing special. You could request cooked to order but they said this would be a delay and we were in a bit of a rush.

Free car parking and plenty of it but wifi is chargeable and quite steeply so.

Room Tip: We had balcony golf view room which was same as last time. Believe these and the lodges to be the b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was attending a seminar at the hotel with an early morning start, so chose to stay the night before. It was dark and raining when I arrived and there was no provision to park next to the entrance to the reception area. This meant I had to make 2 trips from the car park to unload my personal luggage and exhibtion equipment. However, the friendly greeting from the receptionist made me feel very welcome. Before my evening meal I used the swimming pool and jacuzzi. The restaurant staff were friendly; the service was good; and there was a good choice of food. My room was spacious and the very comfortable bed ensured I slept well. I felt my staff overall was good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just back from a wonderful stay at woodbury park with my girlfriends. We had an amazing spa day.... The treatments were so relaxing. The spa facilities were lovely great pool, sauna & jacuzzi... We lounged about all day. Very friendly staff... Big thank you to the girls in Bodyzone! When you have 3 kids at home this is just what you want for a weekend away good food, peace & quiet, nice setting, lovely service, a good nights sleep & good company. Thanks Woodbury we'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

a group of us booked a deluxe pamper stay for my friends hen weekend, and have stayed here for the past 5 years. we always have such an amazing time, the moment we arrived we were looked after, from the hotel reception, to the bar staff and the amazing bodyzone team. every one of us have such a great experience every time. the girls in bodyzone really took care of us and went our of their way to make us feel special and the treatments were second to none. after our relaxing treatments we had a fantastic meal in the atrium restaurant, and stayed in one of the lodges which was great fun! perfect weekend away!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

A group of us went for a 2 night break & were not impressed with the hotel at all. Superior room had quite nice furniture but the bed looked like a camp bed and felt like it! Curtain was hanging off the pole & the bathroom could do with a refurb. Heat controller for shower was broken so tepid showers. We had to pre-order our dinner the 1st night & when the duck arrived no-one could eat it as it was so salty. Not just the skin the actual meat. The people who had ordered sea bass had to wait over an hour for it to be served despite having pre-ordered the food! We then had to order our meal for the next night before finishing our 1st meal. Breakfast was no better with the usual luke warm serve yourself with plastic fried eggs. They did at least serve you with fresh toast. Dinner on 2nd night was a little better despite the fact that the bar had run out of gin & also tonic water. They also ran out of toasted tea cakes in the clubhouse & cream in the restaurant. The bar is too small for the number of visitors & the whole place seems to be run by inexperienced youngsters. They did give as 2 bottles of complimentary wine on the 1st night to compensate for all the disasters. Definitely overpriced & staff need to be better trained in customer care. There is no lounge where groups of people can sit & chat. We will not be returning to this hotel which is a shame as the golf course is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have stayed here a few times this year as it is convenient for us. On each occasion we have found the welcome lukewarm and the departure just as unpleasant. Each time we had to go to reception we were never greeted in a friendly mannor as we were more of an inconvenience to their conversation about their social life. Overall we found all the staff (bar the housekeeping staff who always said hello as we passed along the corridors) to be totally apathetic and miserable. Breakfast staff never smiled and the atmosphere was awful in that large dining area. There were uncleared tables all around us through our breakfast even though there were 2 serving staff and only 6 people having breakfast. We would understand if they were rushed off thier feet.Breakfast is substandard for a four star hotel, it looks and tastes really cheap. We even considered missing breakfast and going into town to a great cafe we know, but thought that breakfast couldnt be awful 2 days running, but it was!

The rooms are ok albeit a bit tired, sound proofing not good, could always hear the toilet being flushed in the adjacent rooms and above.

We will find another place to stay in the Exeter area from now on, we have given this place a few tries now thinking that it can't be that bad each time, but it is. Someone needs to get in their and give it a good shake up to bring it up to speed on customer service as I fear it will loose more repeat and new business.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A hotel's first priority should be a good night sleep, we have just had the worst stay ever in a hote (Firday 5th Oct to Monday 8th)l. I notified on our first night that the quality of the beds was dreadful, springs sticking through the mattress. I was told that this would be sorted the following day. Needless to say it wasn't. I told the stafff (no manager available) if I wasnt staying for a family wedding (so short of time) I would have found another hotel. Dreadful place, over-priced and very very poor quality in everything from rooms to food at meals. I felt sorry for the staff who I suspect are used to hearing complaints so say yes but can do very little.
Aside from the poor quality of the beds the final straw for me was coming to breakfast and finding flys crawling all over the buffet breakfast and the dishes of butter left on the tables. Big hint to use wrapped butter as most hotels do its not rocket science.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Imperial Exmouth Hotel
The Devon Hotel
The Devon Hotel
#4 of 31 in Exeter

Been to Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!