“Lovely village pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have used this pub two years running while staying in the area. We have always been delighted with the range and standard of food on offer, the friendliness of service and the excellent beer! Our only disppointment was the incidence of dishes which turned out to be not available (usually the ones we like). Overall, however, highly recommended.

1  Thank dispeg

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Had a lovely walk to Woodbury today with the dog and decided to have a drink before our return. So I ordered 2 pints of soda & lime and was charged £5...! Never have I experienced paying this much before in a pub, disgraceful.!

EnglandLove_the_sun, Owner at The Maltsters Arms, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

You were indeed overcharged for which we apologise. We are extremely sorry the bar staff in question must have charged for 2 pints of lime & lemonade by mistake. Had you of queried at the time im sure it would have been picked up straight away, we apologise again & hope that you do chose to return in the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Made a mistake by using this pub while staying in the area,not a very pleasant eating out experience,the food was sparce and bland,was told there were only two choices of sweet "because we had a busy lunch time" the staff were'nt rude or anything but not very enthusiastic
won't be back........

Reviewed May 19, 2013

An impromptu meal out took us and friends to this pub on a Friday evening. The beer was good - Doom Bar - excellent stuff. The menu looked good and I selected liver and bacon with veg for £11.95. My wife chose the Lasagne - don't recall the cost. The liver tasted good but for what I got I felt the meal to be overpriced. I would normally expect to pay between £8 and £9 for a good plateful. My plate consisted of 2 slices of liver and one rasher of streaky bacon, a small 'pat' of mash and some vegetables. The latter were good and plentiful. But bearing in mind how cheap liver is, I felt a bit cheated. My wife's portion of lasagne was about half the size you would reasonably expect for a pub meal.

Now don't misunderstand, both meals tasted delicious, but all 4 of us who dined felt short changed by the portions. Unfortunately for the pub, we subsequently cancelled the following nights booking.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Came here for an evening meal with my partner and my parents, after a recommendation by my parents. The barman/waiter/cashier was very friendly and helpful.

My father had Broccoli and Stilton soup to start, good size bowl with 2 nice chunks of bread, my partner and mum had Garlic mushrooms on toast, they looked very nice and really creamy. I had the Ham Hock terraine, which was full of flavour and very nice, it was served with pickled cauliflower that was unusual but very nice, my one complaint would be that it came with 2 tiny pieces of bread.

For main, my dad had the liver and onions with seasonal veg, a good size portion, and the onion gravy was fantastic, or so i'm told. The other 3 all had fish, chips and mushy peas, there was a good amount of chips, the fish was fantastic and was really flakey, the mushy peas were great aswell.

My partner had a hot chocolate, mum had a coffee, dad had ice cream and i had the chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce which was very nice. We all had a drink or 2 and it came to just over £80 which was great value.

It is located in the middle of the nowhere in a small village, but it has a big car park, so is worth the visit.

1  Thank HatfieldBandit08