“Fab turnaround”

Ranked #1 of 6 Umberleigh B&B and Inns
Exeter, Devon
“Fab turnaround”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This being our local pub had lots of previous bad press. But the new owners have turned it around.
We went last month and had a lovely welcome. The food was amazing...a lovely chicken in bacon and wine sauce with beautiful mash and veg. Big compliments to the chef and we will be back shortly!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you read back far enough, you will notice that the Rising Sun had a lot of very bad reviews from unhappy pub goers. Since then, the pub has changed hands and has completely turned around. I urge anyone who had a bad experience here to give this pub another shot. I don't think you will be disappointed!

The Rising Sun is essentially my local pub. My partner and I have been here on several occasions since it changed hands for just drinks, as well as meals. The beer selection is good, and the food is lovely. Ingredients are fresh and cooked to order, and are locally sourced whenever possible from what I can tell. The beef burger is amazing, and don't pass up the fish and chips! I have never been disappointed with my food. Oh, and try the cheesecake. It's lovely.

The pub is very clean and cozy (unlike what the previous owners found acceptable), and the staff is always very helpful and prompt. A lot of care and attention is paid by the owner to make sure his patrons are comfortable... right down to turning off the light in the front window to prevent midges from coming in and bothering people.

Again, I urge those that were disappointed with the Rising Sun to give it another go!

Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

On our way to an hotel for an overnight stay my wife, two friends and, myself stopped off at the rising sun for lunch. What a Gem. We received the warmest of welcomes on entering the bar.
To our delight the menu was comprehensive and inexpensive Three of us had the Goats Cheese Salad and were delighted (absolutely delicious) our fourth member had the duck and positively raved over it.
It turns out , that the present incumbents have only been there since April and are (in their words) still improving the business. If that's the case I can't wait to go back.
We all four of us wish them every success. Thank you for a superb lunch, maybe we'll stop for dinner next time. Oh! I nearly forgot excellent ales as well.
do I really need to say more.********

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just come back from a fab week in Umberleigh. On the first night we went to the Rising Sun, and had homity pie, it was gorgeous. We went back two nights later, as my daughter really enjoyed it, and vegetarian options are often not great. It lived up to the first night and we had the same! I overheard other guests raving about the other food too. Definitely reccomend this place, and very friendly staff too.

Considering it is such a small village, there was a lot of people enjoying the place and the ffod.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
devon
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I recently had a meal with some friends at the Rising Sun as we heard it was under new management. We had a lovely time, the food was delicious (I had steak) and it was well presented and came with scrummy chunky chips, mushrooms and onion rings followed by apple crumble, my friends were also very pleased with the meals that they chose which I believe is all home made. The management and staff were all very friendly and welcoming and it sounds like from the old reviews they have done a great job in turning the pub around.
If I had to pick any negatives then it would be that the ladies toilet could do with a bit of a re vamp but may-be they have plans to do that and that after our meal we stayed for a while to have a drink and it would have been nice to relax in a more comfy chair/sofa rather than sitting at our table but overall this is a lovely pub with great food and the new owners are doing a great job and would definitely return. Train station just up the road so depending on train times, this would be easy to get to from Exeter or Barnstaple & leave the car at home!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DevonSharon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently stayed there for 3 nights what a wonderful relaxing place. Nothing was to much trouble. Staff very friendly and welcoming and always had time to chat with you. Service was excellent and the food fantastic. We will definatley be staying again.

Wigan
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here whilst visiting Devon recently. It's recently changed hands and although we didn't visit previously, from the comments of the locals, it seems there have been great improvements. We found the staff welcoming and helpful. The food was excellent - good traditional pub food. I'm not a beer drinker myself but my partner certainly had no complaints and I can recommend the 2 ciders on tap. We shall certainly visit again when next in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umberleigh
The Portsmouth Arms Inn
#3 of 6 in Barnstaple
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Molton

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!