“Interesting location, food not bad but service erratic !”
Review of The Maltsters Arms

The Maltsters Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Tuckenhay B&B and Inns
Berkshire, England
“Interesting location, food not bad but service erratic !”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My family and I went here for a lunch. The dining room was pleasant with views over the creek but it took quite a long time after being seated for a member of staff to return. Nobody offered us a drink and we had to ask for them when our food order was taken.
I had a burger (real meat) which was delicious and quite substantial. There was a choice of thick or thin chips which was nice. Other had salads and the nippers shared an adult burger as no little ones available.
No one came to see if we wanted pudding and I had to hunt it down along with a refill of my drink.
Given the quality of the venue and the food, which was at what I would call the top end of the pub menu price range, the service was a tad disappointing.
The staff, however were friendly and it could have been put down to beginning of season teething troubles.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Squawky1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have lived in the local area all my life and have always fancied a meal at the malsters tonight I was very disappointed by the food the brown shrimp was tasteless my wife's fish was cold and the steak was as tough as old boots my wife even sent her meal back but we still paid an expensive full price for the privilege,a real shame as in my job I direct people in the direction of the malsters but after sampling it myself I'm afraid no longer I shall try the watermans next!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank masterj33
south devon
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I am sorry to say that my parter and I find the food is expensive, I ordered the Bang Bang Chicken Salad for £12.50. I had hoped for that price it woud be really substantial, but I am afraid that it was not, it was so small that I could believe they were charging £12.50 for it.. But on the plus side it was tasty due to the spicy peanut dressing. My partner ordered the burger but unfortunately there was so much grease coming out of the burger that it made the bread all sogging but again on the plus side the chips were really nice, We were not in the mood to complain as we had aleady suffered a disappointment elsewhere so we just ate it and left as soon as possible.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kittycat20
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Spent 5 nights here, perfect spot with views over the small river. Lots of lovely little villages close by. We were made very welcome, lovely atmosphere. Rooms comfortable and clean. Food was excellent, service great. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane A
Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2014

food good but tonight the service was slow and we all commented on how we felt ignored and not well attended to, I think this due to the table we were sat on (the room on the left of the front door) which is out of the way a bit. we eat here regularly and have always sat in the main restaurant section. We just feel a little disappointed as we came with our parents who said they didn't like the place and we wanted to show them why we like it, they said they didn't like it because they thought the service was poor, it turns out they were sat at that table last time they visited.
the moral to the story is don't ignore the diners in this room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank katy t
england
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed at the Malsters arms while we were taking my son in to the navy at Dartmouth and the stay was fantastic , the staff were excellent and the other guest there were really friendly , i would stay there time and time again what a place , always helpful views of the river brilliant ,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank lfcsmonkey
warwickshire
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Ate here for two nights whilst staying locally. Superb waterside location . Friendly staff & Locals .Hadn't visited since the "Floyd days" but really jolly good . Well cooked food , ample portions and good value.

Very atmospheric eating area overlooking the river . Happy for us to have our two dogs with us . Good ale & wine.

Spoke to Le Patron and suggested he should put in a dumb waiter to hoist food from the kitchen to the dining room - he replied "we already have one but I want our waiting staff to be responsible for the food ( quality & presentation) from Chef to table" I am impressed a positive attitude which works!

Eat here with no worries - good stuff

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank horacebull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuckenhay
The Durant Arms
#2 of 5 in Dartington
The Steam Packet Inn
The Steam Packet Inn
#5 of 27 in Totnes

Been to The Maltsters Arms? Share your experiences!