My husband and I have just returned from Acorns having spent the weekend there. The place was beautifully landscaped and in a lovely peaceful location, but sadly the weather seriously let us down with howling gales and incessant rain which didn't detract from the beauty of the place and could only get better with sunshine.
Sadly this glorious atmosphere was let down by so called " Naturists ". They had more clothing on than an artic explorer. The warmth of the clubroom which has beautiful furnishings and soft cosy sofa's, surrounding a glowing pot bellied stove beltching out heat, which a camel would appreciate. My husband and I were playing table tennis " ou natural " and felt that we were the odd ones out here, so we retired to spend the rest of the evening naked in our camper. This happened two nights running and we both thought what's the point of calling this a naturist retreat when it's quite obvious this is a clothing optional site, this is total mis-representation of their advertisments. Sadly we will not be returning to this idealic gem in the heart of Devon, the only nudity insisted upon is in the pool, jaccuci and sauna.
Talking about the pool and jaccuci, the pool is heated via a solar panel which is totally inadequate with the British weather as the pool was no warmer than the " English chanel ". The jaccuci is open to the elements under a wooden gazebo, which is fine for a sunshade but doesn't stop the wind blowing through.
The site warden Claire was very welcoming and helpful, not to say the frosty reception we received from Andy the site propriator, who didn't even bother to introduce himself. His wife Kathy introduced herself and the only other words she said to us was " who ordered the steak and who ordered the cumberland sausage ? " as she placed the meals in front of us.
Would we recommend it, yes to be fair the place is beautiful, ignore the owners and if you don't mind mixing in with other clothed guests then this place is for you. But if you want to feel comfortable naked then this place is not for you.
Andy and Julie
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Naturist retreat in the heart of Devon. Bed, breakfast and evening meals. Mobile homes for hire. Camping. Free use of hot tub, sauna, heated swimming pool, games barn 13 acres of land to explore. Situated between Exmoor and Dartmoor within easy reach of north and south coasts, including several naturist beaches. Free WI Fi, Discreet business VAT receipts given. Just 20 minutes from M5 junction 27, Payment by cash or card. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Acorns Naturist Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acorns Naturist Retreat Hotel Tiverton
- Acorns Naturist Retreat Tiverton, Devon