“Glimpse of the badgers peeking through the ferns”
Review of Devon Badger Watch

Devon Badger Watch
Ranked #8 of 30 things to do in Tiverton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A unique opportunity to see wild badgers who come very close to you on their own terms. Walk through beautiful scenery and woodland to a purpose-built hide overlooking the natural sett where you can sit comfortably to observe these fascinating wild creatures. A magical experience.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We visited the Devon Badger Watch last week.
It was a bit of an adventure to find the farm but the directions that Kevin gave were spot on.
Kevin – gave a very informative talk before we walked down to the hide. We got the first glimpse of the badgers peeking through the ferns just before we reached the hide which was really special. Once in the hide we saw 7 adults and 3 youngsters really close. It was such a privilege to sit and watch them up so close. A truly magical experience and one not to be missed, we enjoyed it so much that we went back to do the photography evening. On these special evenings Kevin removes some of the glass windows so the photographers have an unimpeded view of the badges. My husband got some really lovely photos which with the fantastic experience we will treasure.

badgerannie, Manager at Devon Badger Watch, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

After so many great reviews I have finally found out how to respond and found the time to do so!

Thank you for your appreciative review and I am glad you enjoyed your experience here.
The drive in is a bit of an adventure in itself and adds to the feeling of going out into the wild.
We hope this year, 2014, to concrete the last piece of our drive so that it is not such a bumpy experience for those who are not so used to farm tracks.
We have worked hard over the last 18 years to accustom the badgers to people being in the hide and be comfortable with coming so close. We also try to be as informative as possible, so it is very gratifying to know that people like yourself appreciate the results..

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went on the badger watch in the second week of an already fabulous holiday to Somerset but this really was the icing on the cake. I would thoroughly recommend that you make a booking as not only where we able to see these lovely animals in real life within a couple of feet but Kevin, who owned the farm, was full of useful information regarding badgers and the bad press that they have. We had booked the ordinary watch which cost £11 per adult but there were also photography evenings available which cost more. This was truly an experience that we shall never forget.

1  Thank jandst1

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The badger photography evening was a great opportunity for an amateur photographer like me to take photographs of badgers at close range. We were able to take lots of photographs of the four badgers. I would thoroughly recommend it as an interesting and enjoyable experience. It has inspired me to go out in the countryside to find more wildlife to photograph.
Thank you to both Kevin and Anne.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I arranged this as a surprise for my wife while on a short break in North Devon.My wife and I both love wildlife and having never seen badgers in the wild thought it would be something new. Well if I put all the superlatives I know into this it wouldn't be enough.The evening was fantastic with almost constant views of up to 7 badgers including 3 cubs all within 2 or 3 feet away. Kevin our host was very knowledgeable and interesting and gave us some insights into Bovine TB and the proposed culling of these beautiful animals. If you get to do one thing in Devon do this.

Thank you for your appreciative review and I am glad you and your wife enjoyed your experience here.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We knew just what to expect after Kevin's introduction but it was still very exciting when the first badger poked its nose out of the sett, followed by other members of the clan. The badgers arrived quickly and stayed for some time: a fantastic opportunity to observe them at very close-range, as well as soak up the sights and sounds of the beautiful woodland setting. Kevin's commentary was extremely interesting and he was very happy to answer questions afterwards. We have already recommended a visit to a number of our friends.

Thank you so much for recommending us to your visitors and friends.