“Best stay so far on LEJOG 2013”
Review of Angel Guest House

Angel Guest House
Ranked #4 of 33 Tiverton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Had an excellent nights stay, the room was spacious, and the bed was comfy, a little road noise but I'm used to that! There was excellent recommendations for places to eat and drink, and they even didy breakfast early so I could set off on my ride in plenty of time! Best b and b en route so far!

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

The photos show this guest house as somewhere you would like to stay. Unfortunately I will not be going back. The B&B is very old(not in a nice way), run down and in need of some tlc. My room had no towels - which i had to ask for. However the bathroom was so cold i couldn't shower there. The only saving grace was the breakfast - which was substantial and tasty.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Teresah00
hollidc, Owner at Angel Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Well thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Angel.

You are correct she is a little over 300 years old which leads to some issues and we are very aware that a full modernization would remove all the character from this venerable old lady and we have refurbished every bedroom with this in mind. So old certainly, but not in a good way? We think she's old in a wonderful way.

I am sorry you feel the pictures on the web site are not representative. We are still scratching our heads over this one, certainly the room you stayed in has had a full length mirror added, but otherwise is in the same condition now as when we put the four poster in there and took the pictures.

thank you for letting us know about the cold in the bathroom, you are the first guest to mention it and our local plumber is now quoting on a radiator for there.

The lack of towels was inexcusable, we endevour to keep standards of cleanliness very high, which is more of a challenge in a building of this age, but we certainly do provide towels (very nice ones from Ikea!) for all our guests so I hope you will forgive this oversite.

So you won't be returning. We're both sorry to hear that but a 300 year old B&B is not everyone's ideal.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast, all our ingredients are locally sourced (except for the beans which are HP) and we believe you can really taste the difference.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Angel

Best regards

Chris Holliday
Proprietor

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my friend stayed here while doing LEJOG (Land's End to John O'Groats) in September 2012.

We had booked the B&B's along the way purely based on a target daily distance and budget; it turns out our luck was with us on this night. The lady & chap that run the place are really friendly and really helpful.

They did some washing for us and sorted us out with some ice for my knees (that were on fire) without a second thought.

The room was nice, well decorated and spacious with it's own private bathroom that was nice and clean.

Breakfast was really nice and quite filling - brilliant fuel for the following day!

Long story short, excellent B&B, especially for cyclists doing any sort of tour.

(Apologies to the owners for taking so long to get around to writing a review!)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Chris and Sue are very welcoming hosts. I would recommend this guest house to anyone looking for a warm welcome, with warm and comfortable rooms. The shower is powerful and water always hot too - always a bonus when away from home. Breakfast is consistently delicious. I am vegetarian, and was instantly offered veggie sausages and a selection of egg choices on arrival. Although the poached eggs are fab, once I'd experienced the cheese omelette, there was no going back. For all omelette lovers, Chris's is the best. So although plenty of other options were on offer, I chose not to explore the other options available.
I have stayed for a few weeks, and throughout this time I have felt thoroughly looked after and welcome.The balance that Chris and Sue provide within their hosting skills is just right: I never felt overpowered or obliged to be social at all, yet knew they were there if I needed them. I will take pleasure in recommending this guest house whenever I get the opportunity - thanks again Chris and Sue for looking after me so well. Hxx

Room Tip: I stayed in rooms on both sides of the house, and wasn't disturbed by traffic or town folk at al...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We travelled to Tiverton by coach, fully intending to be met by a friend but the coach was held up and over 4 hours late arriving. We decided to find a B&B for the night to save our friend coming to meet us so late.We got a courtesy call while we were still on the coach and Chris very kindly stayed up to greet us. We had the lovely 4 poster bed ......very comfy! and slept very well. Great cooked breaky and wonderful service.Lovely couple, lovely B&B so nice that we have decided to unwind there each trip and get picked up the morning after our arrival. Excellent value for money and well worth a visit!!! Thank you!!

Room Tip: Ask for the 4 poster!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Julie & Colin made our visit very pleasent. They both looked after us very well and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel itself was a great little bed and breakfast. Our room was very comfortable, clean and very spacious. The breakfast was excellent and well recommended. Its excellent value for money.

This is the second time we have stayed and we will certainly be back for a third visit next year!!

Bob, Sallie & Josh - Sheffield.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
hollidc, Owner at Angel Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Hello there and thank you for the wonderful review!

Unfortunately I don't think you stayed with us at the Angel as you mention the owners names are Julie and Colin and we are Chris and Sue.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Devon, and please keep us in mind if Julie and Colin are full in the future!

Best regards

Chris Holliday
Proprietor
Angel Guest House

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here on my own as I was attending a meeting in Tiverton the next day. Managed to park right outside which made things very easy. The room was to a good standard, clean and had everything I needed. Would definetly stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business