“Good service and great value for money”

Best Western Tiverton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tiverton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Somerset UK
“Good service and great value for money”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed here several times as I lead training weekends for a charity. The rooms are always clean and well-serviced. It is a little dated, yes, but not hugely so. The staff, led by Wayne the manager, are delightful and very well trained, even the very young trainees were professional and polite. The food is both plentiful and delicious and breakfast, although served at a buffet, is manned by staff and served piping hot on good hot plates! If on a working trip the executive suite has good large rooms with a huge desk and all the facilities you need inclduing free wi-fi. On the business side again, this hotel organises rooms and facilities for training/business events with great efficiency and flexibility.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear FairyGrandmother,

You must be a FairyGrandmother!, seriously thank you for your kind and considered review. The team here will be delighted to get such feedback and we do try very hard to give our guests as enjoyable experience as we can. We recognise we don't have the most modern of hotels to say the least but it's all about the people for me and we try and treat all our guests as friends.

kind regards

Rhys Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have stayed in this Hotel years ago when it was called the Tiverton Motel. Thats showing my age ! On arrival the two female receptions were paying more attention to the computer, when I was eventually acknowledged the staff member was extremely morose and lethargic. On checking in the room which was very dated and probably hasn't been upgraded for quite a few years (the only exception being the TV which was a flat screen) I found the room to be in quite an unclean condition. Flakes of chocolate were found on a comfy chair and pubic hair in the bathroom. In addition, the corners of the room were also dirty. I am unable to comment on the breakfast as I chose not to have one due to the cost of it combined with the hotel fees which in my opinion was expensive for the location. On checking out of the hotel the receptionist (a different one) was robotic, miserable and slow. At no point was I even asked if I enjoyed my stay there. For morale to be so bad there must be some management issues and training that needs addressing before I would even consider a second visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Country-Gent-66,

To say we are all shocked by your review would be putting it mildly, this is easily the worst review we have ever received and to read of uninterested staff and dirty rooms is very disheartening to say the least and if true describes a hotel I can't recognise.

Something obviously has gone wrong from the moment you arrived and it may be that you did not have time to bring it to anyone's attention during your stay however I would ask that you contact me personally so I can discuss all aspects of your visit.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stopped off on way to Barnstable on business - very convenient for M5. Accommodation was spacious with all you would expect for a business location with large desk and comfortable chair and easy to connect and free access to WiFi. Food plentiful and good quality. Not somewhere I would spend my holidays but perfect for business and reasonable price

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear pb56422,

Thanks for your great review, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Trust your business trip was successful.

kind regards

Leicester
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Best Western on a business trip and although it could do with some redecorating it was clean, had good service and the breakfast was lovely. I only paid £57 for a large room with a double and single bed in it.

• Stayed November 2012
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Louise H,

Thanks for your great review particularly on the quality of our cleanliness and breakfasts.

Your right to point out that from time to time we have great offers available and I would recommend checking out our website which details which offers we have available at the time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and showing you some of our superior rooms which feature king size beds and power showers.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

First time I have been to Tiverton but have stopped at other Best Western Hotels before so thought I knew what to expect. To be honest I was expecting slightly more for the rather expensive tariff (£95 for a double). The room was spacious (22), the bed a dream, but the overall cleanliness very disappointing. The tea and coffee tray was very dusty, the chair for the computer desk I actually wrote 'clean me' on the bottom. The headboard, and chair at the dressing table, not sure when the last time they were vacuumed was. Not good when they were dark blue. The shower was great but the toilet not the best. Breakfast left a lot to be desired, food left under hot lamps, shouldn't have been a problem but we were one of the first down for food and the food was already under par. So much so I didn't bother with a cooked breakfast on our second morning. Also didn't like after going back to the room just after 8.00 that the staff wanted to clean it at about 9.00am, esp as we hadn't booked out! The room was warm and if we opened the window all we could hear was the stream/brook behind so had to close them again.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Liz B
Dear Liz B,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, I do discuss all reviews with the team and if necessary we use these as training modules for the team.

Obviously your review raised some concerns for us, particularly on our cleanliness standards and our breakfast as these are two areas which normally score very highly with our regular guest. The disappointing issue for us of course is that your concerns were not raised at the time of your stay for if they had been we would have gone out of our way to address them at the time.

However what I have done is to look again at our cleaning procedures particularly for room 22 and our housekeeper has arranged for a deep clean of that area as a matter of course. Just for your information, each room is normally cleaned daily and is then subject to a formal inspection and approval before it is released for sale to our guests. Please accept my apologies if any aspect of your room was not up to our normal high standards.

Finally, my thanks too for your positive comments on the quality of our king size beds, quality beds are so important when you stay in hotels and I'm delighted that you found ours so comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and arranging a nice quiet room for your stay.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before, couple of years ago, and it doesn't disappoint. Very helpful and friendly staff, nothing is too much trouble. Room was nice and spacious and clean. Dogs made very welcome, with food/water bowls, blankets, and chewy sticks ready for them in our room, most impressed, as were they. Restaurant was very efficient and food is very good, even when very busy due to a coach party, and conference delegates staying, we were well looked after by everyone. Roast of the day on each day, and best roast lamb I have tasted in a long time, good choice on both menu's. Breakfast very good, plenty to choose from, whether it was full english, or continental type. All in all a very nice place to stay. Tiverton is a nice little town as well. A very good M&S express food shop too.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be good, whether at rear, side or front of hotel, the front rooms overlook car...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear JoyL,

Thanks for your great review, I'm delighted you and your dogs enjoyed your stay and thanks for posting your thoughts.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the future.

sincerely

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

after attending the devon food awards last night 08 10 12 i can only say that the toilets are in a time warp and the main course of slow roasted belly pork contained no more than half a rasher of thin cut bacon meat and an abundance of pure fat as a butcher i would not have even let this lump of fat enter the human food chain . i do not blaim the hotel chef directly as he may have only been given a certain amount of so called meat to cook with but he should have known better .also drinks are a total rip off .i am not saying this as a bad point about the hotel as such as i did not stay there but if the cheff has no input on quality of food served what more can i say

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Alan h,

I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your meal and quite suprised because the feedback from both the organiser and the vast majority of the 140 guests on the evening was very positive indeed and whilst I couldn't be at the function personally due to other business committments, I have spoken to all the key team involved on the event and our impression was the event had gone very smoothly indeed.

Our Banqueting Manager went round each table at the conclusion of service to enquire if everyone had enjoyed the dinner and she had no negative comments at the time. I understand that belly pork may not be everyone's favourite cut of meat but we would have been delighted to change your main course if asked at the time. This prestigious event showcases great producers in Devon and the meat was supplied by an organic producer who farms no more than three miles from the hotel. This supplier deals with many of our local hotels and restaurants enjoys a very good reputation.

I also take your point about our toilets in this area, however we are refurbishing the main banqueting suite and toilets in January. Since purchasing the hotel over 10 years ago we have adopted a policy of refurbishing different areas of the hotel every year and this has continued throughout the recession. This year we have invested in a new reservation and point of sales systems in the bars and restaurant, last year it was rooms and bathrooms and as I say next year will see the refurbishment of our main banqueting suite. We are proud of the way our hotel has developed and I'm pleased to say our results from various inspection organisations show a consistent pattern of improved scores.

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review , we do take them seriously indeed and if you do want to view our refurbished areas or discuss our future plans I would be very happy to talk it through.

Rhys Roberts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiverton
The Hartnoll Hotel
#5 of 32 in Tiverton
Lodgehill Hotel
Lodgehill Hotel
#21 of 32 in Tiverton

Been to Best Western Tiverton Hotel? Share your experiences!