“Not bad for a Best Western”

Best Western Tiverton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tiverton
GreenLeadersBronze level
wolverhampton
“Not bad for a Best Western”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I regularly stay away on business, and would generally avoid Best Western - simply because I am usually disappointed by them. However on this occasion there were very few alternatives, so I decided to give it a go.
From the outside it is very outdated. Internally it is not so bad, but would still benefit from being dragged into the 21st century. That said the room was large and well equipped. The tea and coffee making facilities were fine, and a bottle of mineral water on a very hot day was appreciated. In terms of the room my only gripe was that the shower, although it looked good, didn't really live up to expectations - a case of style over substance.
However I can forgive a hotel for an awful lot if I get good service, and I have to say the service I received throughout my stay was polite, friendly and professional. Breakfast was fine. The standard coffee was very mediocre (weak and off a warmer), but to be fair when I asked for an espresso a decent coffee was delivered without complaint.
I used the hotel to meet a colleague and go through some work for an hour or so in the morning, and again the service and coffee in the lounge was delivered without any problems.
In general, not bad for a Best Western, and worth recommending for Tiverton if you can get a room price you are happy to pay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have a pleasant small river running behind them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear fillyk,

Thanks for the review, I'll look into the coffee, normally this is fine but it may be a technical issue or training issue for delivering it to you warm, but glad the espresso did the trick.

Thanks too for the recommendation and I look forward to meeting you on your return.

Rhys Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I needed to stay somewhere for 1 night in the Devon area with easy access to the M5. This hotel fitted the bill as I cant sleep at the service station motels. 10 minutes from the M5, excellent signage to get to the location and the first impression is really bad. The exterior looks old and dated and has a real motel appearance. There is plenty of free parking available and numerous entrances that allow easier access to different parts of the hotel dependant upon your room location.

The interior is similarly dated in its decor, but its clean and well maintained. My room was well presented with a double and a single bed, TV, tea and coffee making, trouser press etc. The bathroom continued with the decor theme and would benefit the most from being refurbished.

The real highlight of this hotel is, as other people have commented, the staff and the food. All the members of staff were friendly, chatty and helpful and it was good to see the manager serving at breakfast and helping customers to their tables. The food was of excellent quality; I found the bar menu to be more of my liking than the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent.

The location seems to be very popular with coach parties and an older clientele; if your looking for a modern, stylish, contemporary hotel then this isn't for you. If you want friendly service and an easily accessable base for North Devon it will fit the bill

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear T7PDC,

Thanks for your review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and whilst I can't do a great deal on the design of the building, we are developing our gardens which are now looking great and have recently won a local award and our bathrooms are undergoing a refurbishment programme, something Best Western recently recognised when awarding us an international quality award.

Having said that I do recognise our staff are one of our real assets, they do genuinely go out of their way to make sure our guests are looked after and whilst this time of year our corporate clients tend to be away, we do have a regular and loyal corporate clientle throughout most of the year not to mention the 20 to 30 conferences we host weekly.

More importantly, great to have you here and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for the last 4 years. The location is handy as it is near to M5, you have the option of travelling to north or south Devon also Cornwall is not too far away. Exmoor is very near and Tiverton seems to be the gateway to Exmoor and mid Devon.
The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is good and varied choice on the menu. The beds are very comfortable. Plenty of parking. Also in Tiverton there are very nice walks along the canal.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the sports field which rooms are quiet and not too warm in the summer
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear alan b,

Thanks for your review and the great things you had to say about the hotel and it's staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Rhys
South East
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Large comfortable rooms,Very good food with a varied menu.Nice restuarant. The staff were extremely efficient,,friendly and helpful. we stayed for 2 days,2 very good National Trust houses were near,and so is Exeter. The hotel is not particularly modern but the staff make it special

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear BalderdashSouth,

Thanks for your kind review which I will pass on to our team and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

UK
Reviewed June 12, 2012

On first impressions the hotel looks a little dated and more of a motel style but nonetheless the facilities and staff are a great asset and should be commended. My room in the executive area was very large and comfortable and I like the range of toiletries, tea/coffee facilities and the work desk area. I also ate at the hotel and the food was very good, which is certainly a rarity in a chain hotel. I am now going to be very picky and is not a critisim by any means but constructive feedback to improve what already is a very good experience. Rooms - the wifi was hit and miss with very weak signal, the reception kindly rebooted which helped slightly, however, was still not brilliant and connections often dropped. The tv control was maddening,it would mostly not respond....I suspect a change of batteries was required! I was kept awake (albeit not late but I retired early) around 10.30 and also awoken at 6am by a machine churning sound that was extremely loud, it went on and on and I discovered later it was actually a shoe shine machine that was directly outside my door. Why someone would shine their shoes at these times is beyond me but it contributed to a disturbed sleep which I found annoying. Restaurant - food taste was great, service amazing but just a few suggestions to the chef, please, please stop serving every meal with fresh flat leaf parsley! It does not enhance the meal at all. I was also bemused to be served a roast dinner with yet again, several large sprigs of parsley and bizarrely raw chopped tomatoes scattered over the meat. I did ask the waiter why the chef would do this and the response was 'he wants it to look nice so you feel like eating it'. It was actually detrimental to the dish and although I commend creativity this was not a good example of using it in context! My other small niggle is that in my opinion smoked salmon starters should be served with possibly dill (not the dreaded parsley again) and please offer the black pepper grinder...white pepper does not hit the mark for such a lovely high quality starter. Again I reiterate this is not complaining, just suggestions of fine tuning...in my overall opinion this is a great hotel, with fantastic, professional staff who put your needs first...well done!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KP1Uk
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear KP1Uk,

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful review.

Your points are very well made and I will make sure than darn remote is changed and we have now completed a service on our Wifi system.

Just a couple of points regarding our menu, we do have pepper mills in our restaurant, please ask for black pepper when you return and I've reintroduced our chef to his herb garden to remind him he has fresh coriander, rosemary, sage, chive as well as parsley which despite the weather are doing very well.

Having said that we all appreciate the great comments and the team are very proud to receive such positive feedback.

Thanks again

Southampton
Reviewed June 7, 2012

At a glance it's not the most modern hotel I have ever stayed in, and I spend all my time in hotels around the country. What stands out here is the quality of the staff, not over staffed but very efficient and working as a team and obviously enjoying there job. I booked a table in the restaurant and followed in a coach party of pensioners, demanding at the best of times. I was expecting to be kept waiting for attention but straight away I was asked if I needed any drinks and was I ready to order food. I ordered and was pleasantly surprised that within 5 minutes my starter appeared, beautifully prepared and presented, a genuine check back to confirm my meal was ok. 10 minutes after my starter was cleared my main course appeared and again I wasn't dissapointed. In all of this I never noticed the staff hurrying or getting flustered with the volume of guests, they just efficiently worked there way through the tables with ease. What ever it is that the management do here It is working and I have to be honest, the single thing that brings me back to hotels is the quality of the staff and here it is absolutely first class. Well worth the visit. Thank you!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at Best Western Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Baileys01,

This is one of our best reviews yet and such a great tribute to our hardworking team, thanks very much for taking the time to post the review and of course I'll be passing on your comments.

kind regards

Stansted
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Newcomers to Best Western after finding one by chance in Peak District three weeks ago so when visiting West Country for Jubilee weekend bank holiday thought we would try another one and chose Tiverton and stayed for two nights. Excellent hotel, well placed and lovely room. Comfy bed and proper pillows not worn out flat soggy excuses for pillows we have found in other well know branded hotels. No complaints. Staff were great and breakfast hot and tasty. Good car parking and easy access to Tiverton and surrounding road network. Would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiverton
The Hartnoll Hotel
#2 of 32 in Tiverton
The Globe Inn
The Globe Inn
#1 of 2 in Sampford Peverell

Been to Best Western Tiverton Hotel? Share your experiences!