“Will go again, but could improve slightly”
Review of Bank Inn - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: British
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Being a former publican in the restaurant trade and being extremely vigulant and pinnickety when ever we visit places, I give all my comments a fair and extremely honest view.

Upon visiting the Bank Inn this evening with my fiance and young daughter, we were politely met and told we could sit anywhere. The tables were clean, staff extremely helpful and even introduced my daughter to a new flavour of J2O called "glitterberry" which she loved!
We ordered the meals.. Spaghetti Bolognese for my daughter (her fav), Mixed grill for my partner (egg instead of liver and kidney, mash instead of chips), and I had a Surf & Turf (steak cooked blue).
What a fantastic surprise to find a chef in a pub who can cook a blue stak properly so that it is just seared but not cold in the middle (done by allowing to warm to kitchen temp before cooking), what a beautiful piece of meat too, tasty and tender, a good helping of really nice scampi too and peas that were neither hard nor mushy (an acheivement on its own these days.
My little princess received an enormous bowl of tasty, homemade, spaghetti bolognese on properly cooked spaghetti pasta which she wolfed down (being her favourite dish she is very truthful and honest in her opinion).
My fiance's mixed grill had excellent meat on it, gammon, rump and lamb... Loads of nice mashed potato too! Ok the sausages weren't of the best quality and the mushrooms although fresh would have been superb flash saute'ed in some butter.
The bar man spent all his time sat down behind the bar on his phone too, BUT he was stood up immediately and always served us politely and promptly, smart of appearence and very knowledgable.

When it came to dessert, we were going to have ice cream sundaes but HORROR, the freezer had packed up and therefore no ice cream... The barman made my 4yr old a 1pint chocolate milkshake, with squirty cream, chocolate syrup and marshmallows!!! How nice! She absolutely loved it (and he was surpised when i tipped him enough to buy a pint.... Credit given where due).

We only had a few comments/observations that we could make on our visit, everything else was superb and for 3 of us to go out, have wine, 2 pints of coke/pepsi, a J2O, that food plus onion rings (really nice ones) and garlic bread (fresh bakery bread toasted ans smothered in homemade garlic butter with what i guessed to be 'herb de provance' on which was lovely) and only pay £40!!!

Will go again and soon (please consider the sausages and mushrooms chef) hehe

Reviewed November 18, 2011

This pub has special days for special prices, the food is tasty it has both tables and chairs as well as seetees, the is a garden where smokers can go, as well as people wanting somewhere coool to sit on hot days. The is a back resteraunt as well as one near the bar

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We visited on Saturday late lunch time. The sun was shining so we sat in the garden. Only needed a light lunch so had prawn bagette each. Well seven prawns and runny mayo with a bit of salad. Dreadful. The beer tasted off as well. Never again.

1  Thank Elaine G
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Went on pasta night. Very uninspiring pasta dish with chicken. Not very tasty. No offer of condiments or parmesan. No one came back to ask how it was even though very quiet.