“Loved it, can't reccommend highly enough!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Devon
“Loved it, can't reccommend highly enough!”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I booked 7 rooms to treat staff to a mid week break! We had planned to do some work but it was so relaxing and the weather was so good we decided to just enjoy the environment! This meant that I changed plans at the last minute and the staff took this in their stride (and it was very busy all around the hotel at the time!). We had an excellent lunch in the pub. The food was just what we wanted and the atmosphere was great. We spend the afternoon either in the pool, walking the costal path or having a snooze! We then had fantastic cocktails early afternoon in the bar, they were so good we just had to have another one. We then got ready for dinner and had pre dinner drinks ai the bar and the staff had an area all ready for us when we git there. Dinner was great, we had a lovely round table so we could all chat easily. The staff in the restaurant were second to none, our waitress (short blonde hair) was great, she was really able to read her customers! She knew we would probably like after dinner drinks in the pub rather than the lounge so reccommended that we go there instead! Since we got back to base I have had more thanks from the staff that you would imagine. You would think I took them to the Maldives for a week. My choice of venue was perfect and my decision to just relax really paid off. They are now putting pressure on me to organise the next trip to The Thurlestone except this time they want to stay longer!

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Claverham
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Off the beaten track it is not easily found and on arriving we thought that from the outside this hotel doesn't really fit in with the surroundings. It should be 100 years old. It is situated just off the Southwest coastal path and therefore ideally situated for walking. We stayed for three nights for the special occasion of my wifes 50th birthday. The hotel didn't dissapoint, the room was very clean and recently refurbished, the food and service in the restaurant was second to none. It is a place for calm and quiet as the majority of people were aged between 65-80yrs. We took advantage of the sports facilities which were all available and in good condition probably due to the age of the guests. Whilst we were treated with respect I had hoped for a little more due to the occasion. Perhaps I was expecting too much. Would we return, yes we would............8/10

• Liked — The Food and room cleanliness
  • Disliked — Dogs being allowed in the hotel
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 14, 2008

We were originally booked in to stay for two nights - but enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night. We were looking for a short break which included a reasonable amount of exercise so The Thurlstone was ideal. The biggest selling points for us were the squash courts, badminton court, golf course, table tennis, snooker table, swimming pool - all of which were in extremely good order and it felt more like a country club than a hotel. The location was also ideal as it had easy walking access to cliff walks and coves. The staff were very friendly, the room was very comfortable (if a little dated) and the food excellent. The only downsides were the price (rather high though understandable considering the amenities) and the bizarre dresscode in the restaurant - jacket required, even if worn over a T-shirt and jeans.

Though all-in-all an enjoyable stay and we hope to return with friends to spend more time enjoying the golf and squash.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
Reviewed October 24, 2008

My Husband and I have been visiting the Thurlestone Hotel for 7 years now. It never fails to disappoint and quite frankly I never want to come home. Most would probably associate the hotel with older guests but we are both in our early 30s and find it the only place where we can both fully relax and feel totally pampered. My Husband comments it’s the only place he can have an afternoon nap.

The newly refurbished Premier rooms are a beautiful mix of modern and traditional country décor, just what you expect from a private 4* Hotel. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in and I prefer them to home! Also for summer visitors the balconies are glass so as not to interrupt the view which evens manages to be inspiring in the worst weather.

We arrived late on a Friday evening after being fed up at work and booking the weekend that lunch time. Unfortunately the Restaurant was closed when we arrived but waiting for us in our room was a delicious 3 course cold supper which was washed down with a bottle from the mini bar.

In the 7 years we have been going the standard of the service and food has been second to none and effortless, it has never faltered.

Dinner, Bed and Breakfast is the best option, however we do find that after 3 days of sumptuous dining we are grabbing our walking boots and making the most of the Hotels pool and golf course in the hope of finding a bit more room for the next course. One first time visitor commented to me in the lift that they had been there for 10 days and was off home to go on a diet!

The restaurant is situated looking out over the sea and the Thurlestone and is perfect if like me you prefer a little dinner ceremony. Dressing for dinner is a must and it just feels right to sip a few cocktails in the bar whilst perusing the evening dinner menu, which changes on a daily basis.

If you are looking for evening entertainment and a fast paced break Thurlestone is not for you but if you enjoy quality at a relaxing pace then this is a haven in beautiful surroundings. Be warned it is not a cheap option by any means but is well worth the extra pennies (pounds) just for the feeling of utopia gained from being totally pampered and treated like Royalty by the warm and welcoming staff.

• Liked — Fantastic food, wine and rooms
  • Disliked — I dont like the curtains in the lounge!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank finedinerWiltshire
Wales
Reviewed October 6, 2008

The public areas were well-maintained but the room we stayed in was small and pokey with views over a large flat roof and the car park and garages. The price we were charged was twice the going rate of comparable hotels and the service no better than indifferent. One of the most expensive disappopintments of our year.

Stayed October 2008
4 Thank Epilogue8
devon
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Just had a short stay - fantastic food, excellent service. So nice to stay in a non-chain hotel. Would definitely stay again.

• Liked — spacious rooms, good decor, very comfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Essex
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I am basing this review on a one-night stay, of which only a few hours was spent in the hotel (apart from sleeping, of course) so I appreciate my experience is limited. Nonetheless, these were my impressions.
Due to a family bereavement, we had a one night stay at The Thurlestone Hotel. I doubt I could afford to stay here for a whole week in summer as it is expensive but I chose it for this trip because it has a swimming pool and was close to where we needed to go. The pool was important because we made a 600 mile round trip in 24 hours and I wanted my son and daughter to be able to have a swim after being cooped up in the car for so long.
The family room was spacious and all the usual goodies were provided...nice toiletries, robes (although they are a bit stingy with the tea/coffee etc). There is room service although outside of restaurant hours this is just sandwiches and cream teas. While the kids were in the pool, I ordered sandwiches.....I was seriously unimpressed with the quantity and quality for £6-£8 a throw! On returning from the pool, my 11 year old said, "Why is my sandwich the size of a baby's?" However, the report from the pool was better, with both the 11 and 17 yr old giving it the thumbs up and my son also liked the games room.
The staff were all very polite, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful and very good. Our visit wasn't for pleasure, unfortunately, but even though the hotel was almost full I found it extremely quiet and sedate which, under different circumstances, would not have suited me. It also made me question why the fairly ample car park was overflowing when we returned that night.
They do cater very well for children of all ages and apparently in summer this is a big draw. There is an outdoor pool as well, a salon/spa, restaurant, special early supper for kids (optional) and child minding. All rooms are non-smoking. Check in is at 3, check out at 11. Bookings can be made via their website but not for family rooms, so I had to call for my reservation. The person I dealt with was very helpful and negotiated a little, for which I was very grateful. Overall, it's a lovely hotel. Room service falls way short of value for money, even for a classy hotel, but that's my only gripe.
If you can afford it, and you like modern facilities combined with fairly old-fashioned standards, this hotel is for you. And the views are stunning.

• Liked — Generally high standards, good breakfast, great indoor pool.
  • Disliked — Room service - poor quality, seriously overpriced.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TY65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Lantern Lodge
Lantern Lodge
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!