“heaven in devon”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“heaven in devon”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

after many years of visiting the hotel i can say it is my favorite place on earth, the food is amazing chef hugh miller is a fantastic culanary wizard, the accomodation is luxurious, the hotel is pure history, the sprawling grounds include my favorite 9 hole golf course and the leisure fasilities are brand new, the staff and owners are amazing and the customer care is second to none it was the best hotel experience of my life, thank you.

Room Tip: rooms toward the south west for sea views, all rooms are large and sunny, no noise from kitchen aft...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank max m
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear max m,
Thank you for your amazing review! Delighted you continue to enjoy your visits and we are looking forward to many more in the future.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I recently attended a private function at this hotel, which included a 3-course meal in the restaurant. At the drinks reception, drinks were cleared away so quickly that not all the guests got a drink (even though there were apparently several bottles left over). The staff in the restaurant were unsmiling, off-hand and had to be asked for several things, which in a restaurant of this calibre, should be noticed immediately. There was no one with an eye for detail. The guests who had food preferences (prior notice given) were not well catered for, although I found the food to be very good. Wine glasses were not refilled and coffee was completely forgotten for at least two tables. When someone from one of these tables asked for the missing coffee a waitress came and said "Did you want more coffee?" Finally coffee was served by unsmiling and unapologetic staff. Two requests for tea resulted in pots being brought, but no milk. Presumably we were supposed to use the cream that was provided with the coffee! The evening reception was not continuously staffed so that guests sometimes had to wait 10 minutes at an empty bar, for a staff member to return. The function was a great success because the people attending were fantastic and the venue is good,
but the lack of commitment of this hotel to provide good service means that I would never book a function here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank G S
Dear G S
Your review serves to demonstrate that we cannot afford to rest on our laurels and I am very grateful to you for pointing out our shortcomings on this occasion. The lapses in the standard of service you received are not what you should be experiencing at the Thurlestone and please rest assured that I will be discussing the matter very seriously with our Food and Beverage Manager. We host a large number of functions here, usually with excellent reviews, and what you describe is not up to our usual standards and is simply not acceptable. I am so sorry you were disappointed, but delighted that overall your party was a ‘great success’. Thank you again for your constructive comments.
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The service and welcome here is really just what you need. Relaxing and comfortable. We enjoyed the room and the tasty well presented food. The spa and pool great to use. The coastal walking is really good from here it is such a lovely location.

Room Tip: The area hotel and guest are quiet so any good we think. Great for a special treat, great for views...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Richard HKG
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review and I am so pleased you had a good visit. You will be pleased to hear that the South West Coast Path between Thurlestone and Hope Cove, damaged by recent cliff falls, is now open again apart from a brief diversion inland, which will hopefully be repaired soon.
Hope to see you again in the future.
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have never stayed in a Hotel that is such a huge rip off. GBP 230 supposedly a special rate for a room the size of a shoe box, a bathroom that was from a Hospital from the second world war, paper thin walls, old carpets, a breakfast that was like a canteen style quality and the service was very mediocre. Devon is so beautiful but this is the best it can offer? Trying to keep tourists away that actually like to pay for a 5 Star Hotel. I have lived in Hong Kong for 25 years and never seen anything like this anywhere in Asia. for the equivalent you can stay anywhere on an Island or even in Hong Kong in an excellent Hotel with 1st Class standard. Total Rip opp. The whole place needs a total over-hole and train its staff and hire a proper Chef. If that is the only place you can stay in Devon which is not a rented house, I'm afraid you'll have to change destination.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Christina H
Dear Christina H
I was very sorry that you were so disappointed with the Thurlestone Hotel. We try very hard to provide an enjoyable experience for our guests and we clearly failed to do this in your case.
Bramley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I rang the hotel to book a meal for the wives birthday, The reception were great and even offered to decorate the table.

I was most pleased when we arrived on June 1st to be greater and welcomed to a great window table, with the staff wishing my wife a Happy Birthday. The table had decoration on it. After a great meal with excellent service the dessert plate was decorated with chocolate Happy Birthday' all around the edges.

Sparkling wine sat in comfortable garden seats after. A great way to spend a day, this was our second visit and can't wait to go back next year

Room Tip: Lunch Only
2 Thank Martin L
Dear Martin L
Yes, we do try and make a birthday or anniversary something a bit special. I am so glad you and your wife enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing you again next year, or even sooner.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel many years ago, and enjoyed it, my wife and I decided to splash out and spend two nights here before visiting friends further on in Devon. I was advised that I would find many changes had been made to improve the hotel. Certainly, the public areas were in good order, as was the indoor pool. However, our room, which was advertised as a premium deluxe room, with sea view was very poor. It looked shabby and badly in need of decoration and update. The bathroom was very small, and had bath with a shower attachment, and overall did not represent what a premier room costing £300 per night should look like. Overall, very disappointing. An experience we will not repeat.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the third floor, in particular room 354.
1 Thank Barry K
Dear Barry K
I was very disappointed to see your review and very sorry we did not come up to your expectations. We have a range of different rooms, some with better views, some with bigger bathrooms, more space, etc., and your room, 354, is in fact one of our ‘Premier’ rooms. The ‘Deluxe’ rooms are a notch higher. We have a continuing programme of refurbishment and improvement and I have noted your comments about the décor.
Once again, I am sorry you were disappointed.
Enfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our third stay at Thurlestone and again very enjoyable. We had a sea view room with balcony for the first time and it was definitely worth the extra.We were blessed with mostly hot , sunny weather. The food was fantastic. The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast are the best I have eaten anywhere. We thought the church bells would disturb us being at the front for the first time but there was no problem. My only complaint would be the boiling hot towel rail in the bathroom which cannot be turned off. It does keep the bedroom feeling very warm and I managed to burn myself three times! But we will be back for another Devon "fix".

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
Dear Elizabeth A
It was kind of you to write a review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your third visit. Thank you for bringing the problem with the towel rail to my attention and I will talk to Maintenance about it.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!